Easy Bumper Dent Fix - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Tuning & Modifications > Bodyshop Techniques & Modifications
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By PaulMillard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-07-14, 07:05 PM   #1

Default Easy Bumper Dent Fix

My housemate recently started driving, and he got a '58 plate 308. He reversed into a low object the other day, and bent his rear bumper pretty bad.

He was quite gutted about this and wanted to get it fixed. I had seen a few videos of people heating up the bumper and pressing it back out but was unsure to be honest.

The paint damage was minimal so today we thought we would give it a shot and see what happens. We were both fully impressed with the results, as you can see in the photos it came out pretty good. I was lucky in this case as I did not have to remove the bumper to work on it. In case anyone wants to try this at home I will list the steps I took.

**Please note, as you may tell, I am not a professional, barely a novice however it seemed to go well!**

Tools I used: Heat Gun (I already had a cheap one for heat shrinking use), bucket, screwdriver (or similar, this is to push the bumper out when it is hot.

Steps I took.

1) Clean the area really well, use hot soapy water if possible. The last thing you want to do it bake on any crap that happens to be there.

2) Fill up a bucket with cold water and keep it nearby, you will need this later.

3) Heat up the dented area, and the surrounding area with a heat gun from about 5-10 cm away. Too close and you will melt the paint, too far and it will not heat up.

4) Whilst still applying heat, grab your screwdriver (or whatever you are using) and press the dent out from the back, try to make the first push where the most dented part is, you can always iron out smaller creases afterwards.

5) Once you are happy with the results, move your heat gun out of the way and wait about 30 seconds. Check to make sure that the paint is dry to the touch, if it is, tip the bucket of cold water over the affected area. This helps to strengthen the plastic back in its new shape.

I will post the before and after photos below. Please feel free to share your thoughts or advise for others, and point out if I could have done something better

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PaulMillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-07-14, 09:04 PM   #2

Nice job and a handy tip for those that might need it. Pity it won't work with the dents in the metal bits though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-07-14, 09:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by storeman View Post
Nice job and a handy tip for those that might need it. Pity it won't work with the dents in the metal bits though
Cheers! I was surprised at how well it worked, especially as it was my first time! Yeah, you would have to have one hell of a heat gun for it to work on the metal bodywork

PaulMillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 17-10-14, 03:43 PM   #4
Inactive User

nice job ! one of the Trade secrets used to use gloves and towels after heating to push out , then air gun to cool , maybe dusting a little fresh laquer over site to hide any tiny cracks .
Spanner115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in