Bringing the shine back after painting. - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Tuning & Modifications > Bodyshop Techniques & Modifications
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-06-13, 10:30 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Bringing the shine back after painting.

Hi, decided to try and get the wing looking like the rest of the car today, there's a few scratches on it so I wanted to get it looking nice.

Got some paint mixed up at halfords in an aerosol and also in a tin and brush.
This is my first time doing something like this so be easy..

I cleaned up the area with some rubbing alcohol to get rid of the grease and dirt, lightly sanded it with wet/dry 1200 and gave it a light coat of the aerosol. The color is an exact match, apart from it's dried a matte color with no shine.

I made a 2nd trip to hafords, got some clear lacquer, applied a thin coat and it's exactly the same.

So, just wanting to know what I need to do next. Read I should get some "clear coat" is this not the same as lacquer?

Should I buy a mop buffer and buff it to a shine?

Any advice is gratefully appreciated as I'm now driving around in a metallic car with a matte wing.

Cheers.
DavexISO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-06-13, 11:01 PM   #2

You want to put several coats of clearcoat (same as lacquer) over the wing to give it some protection. The paint itself will be basecoat which doesnt stand up well to any kind of abuse - the clear gives you both shine and protection. You may need to get some 2000 grit and give it a good wet sanding after the clear is dry, then polish it up using a clean rag (t-shirts are awesome for this) and some compound - you can get farecla g3 at halfords, or even use t-cut. Hard work without a machine polisher but utterly doable. Be careful as both the t-cut and g3 are abrasive so if you keep at it too long, you'll go through the clearcoat then you'll have to start all over again with the paint...
Old 13-06-13, 11:16 PM   #3
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSlavey View Post
You want to put several coats of clearcoat (same as lacquer) over the wing to give it some protection. The paint itself will be basecoat which doesnt stand up well to any kind of abuse - the clear gives you both shine and protection. You may need to get some 2000 grit and give it a good wet sanding after the clear is dry, then polish it up using a clean rag (t-shirts are awesome for this) and some compound - you can get farecla g3 at halfords, or even use t-cut. Hard work without a machine polisher but utterly doable. Be careful as both the t-cut and g3 are abrasive so if you keep at it too long, you'll go through the clearcoat then you'll have to start all over again with the paint...
So the lacquer I have from halfords is fine? After I put it on it's just a matte colour. I'll get some 2000 grit tomorrow. Will all this give the shine back like the rest of the car?

Old 14-06-13, 08:05 AM   #4
pr1vatepiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavexISO View Post
So the lacquer I have from halfords is fine? After I put it on it's just a matte colour. I'll get some 2000 grit tomorrow. Will all this give the shine back like the rest of the car?
Mr Money bags using Halfords stuff haha. I was going to use the halfords lacquer but stopped when i read a couple bad reviews haha.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-06-13, 10:20 AM   #5
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1vatepiles View Post
Mr Money bags using Halfords stuff haha. I was going to use the halfords lacquer but stopped when i read a couple bad reviews haha.
So I messed up there then

I've only put one thin coat on, and it's matte color. Should I put more coats on?
I've also just bought a Silverline polisher, should I go over the lacquer with that?
Old 15-06-13, 12:03 PM   #6

Hi Dave

Did you put primer first if not its possible your colour sunk in as you mention it was a thin coat.

Why not try the buffer but I have a feeling it may pull what you put on back off.

Hope you get it sorted ok

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
border_all is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-06-13, 04:26 PM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by border_all View Post
Hi Dave

Did you put primer first if not its possible your colour sunk in as you mention it was a thin coat.

Why not try the buffer but I have a feeling it may pull what you put on back off.

Hope you get it sorted ok

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
No I didn't, the guy at my local paint shop (signmasters) said to sand it down, smooth as possible since it's a plastic wing. Then to put a few thin coats on it and then finally lacquer.

What the guy didn't tell me was to sand in between coats with very fine wet/dry sand paper.

Can't believe I didn't think to do that.

So, I sanded it all down with 1200, put a thin coat of paint on, and then sanded it with 2000 wet/dry and tack cloth. It's all smoother now, just waiting for the weather to up so I can lacquer it.
Old 15-06-13, 04:56 PM   #8

Ah if its plastic you probably did better without the primer anyway it may have cracked with the panel moving / vibrating

Hope the weather improves soon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 15-06-13, 05:17 PM   #9
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by border_all View Post
Ah if its plastic you probably did better without the primer anyway it may have cracked with the panel moving / vibrating

Hope the weather improves soon
The suns out, and I've just put my first coat on. Pretty much still the same. Hard to get it on without leaving blotches everywhere
Old 15-06-13, 05:22 PM   #10

If its windy it may be that its blowing the coat away maybe use a wind shield

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in