2 or 3 stage paintwork on '05 407?? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Tuning & Modifications > Bodyshop Techniques & Modifications
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JamesNorway

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-12, 11:56 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default 2 or 3 stage paintwork on '05 407??

Hello

I was hoping someone out there could help me.

I am considering doing some minor corrective work (swirls and light scratches) to the paintwork on my 2005 (05 plate) 407 Zenith (China Blue).

Was going to use an 850W DA machine, but before I start I was wondering if anyone knows if the 05 407 Zenith has a 2 or 3 stage paint job i.e does it have a 'clear coat'. as I believe this can be quite important when considering the type of pads and polishes combos to use? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also does anyone know if the Pugs have hard, medium or soft paint and what the paint thinckness should be (if it hasn't already been macine polished to within an inch of it's life.... )
Cheers
dasdoolip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-12, 04:16 PM   #2
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasdoolip View Post
Hello

I was hoping someone out there could help me.

I am considering doing some minor corrective work (swirls and light scratches) to the paintwork on my 2005 (05 plate) 407 Zenith (China Blue).

Was going to use an 850W DA machine, but before I start I was wondering if anyone knows if the 05 407 Zenith has a 2 or 3 stage paint job i.e does it have a 'clear coat'. as I believe this can be quite important when considering the type of pads and polishes combos to use? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also does anyone know if the Pugs have hard, medium or soft paint and what the paint thinckness should be (if it hasn't already been macine polished to within an inch of it's life.... )
Cheers
almost positive it water based "base" and clear coat "top", so its a 2 stage if you look at it like that... either way you have tobe carefull you dont polish through......
JamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-12, 06:32 PM   #3
Inactive User

Thanks,

that's what I feared. Will need to do some more research before I decide what to do. !!

Old 11-07-12, 06:55 PM   #4
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasdoolip View Post
Thanks,

that's what I feared. Will need to do some more research before I decide what to do. !!
I can tell you all you need to know.

1, use your polish machine but set it to about 1/3 speed (not higher or you will burn the paint)
2, buy 2 compounds of polish (first being medium course, second being fine course) buy a good brand like 3M, go to a car paint shop to buy this, dont buy crappy halfords stuff or it will take you twice as long for half the job.
3, firstly wash the car very good with fairy liqiud type of soap (you should nt use ths everytime you wash your car as it contains salt, but it is very good to get rid of road grime and greese), plus it makes your hands soft
4, use a foam pad on your polish machine and gently make the pad "damp/wet" with clean water, then put a marble sized amount of polish to every square foot or so of area you are polishing, polish in circular motions but just use the weight of the machine to do the work, DO NOT PUSH HARD or you will burn the paint. use water on the polish pad as and when you need it (an experianced polisher would not use water , but as you seam nervous i would suggest you use water).... do the whole car like this.
5, wash car again with "some" fairy liquid and rinse with lots of water to remove all the compaound.
6, repeat number 4 but with the fine compound.
7, wash car again with fairy liquid.
8, repeat section 4 with light compound polish lots of water and a SHEEPS WOOL pad on the polisher machine.
9, wash car again with lots of water.
10, use a good quality wax, one that you put on with a soft cloth from a tin, NOT THE LIQUID TYPES but the hard wax types, almost like the old kiwi boot polish tins (if you know what i mean)
11, polish the car by hand with a super soft polish cloth.

12, the best one, stand back and admire your work

thats the best way to polish a car, and it will take you about 3/4 hours and about 25/30 pounds.
plus you will hae enough polish left to do it 25 more times

hope that helps
nijinski3 likes this.
JamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-12, 06:35 AM   #5
Inactive User

Thank you James

that is a very comprehensive and useful post, I have watched loads of detailing vids on Youtube and read a number of guides and so far, yours is by far the most reassuring.

When I finally find a Saturday or Sunday when it isn't raining in good old Bilghty I'll try and get the job done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in