Peugeot Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Replace hu peugeot 307 -02

7K views 34 replies 6 participants last post by  stevoxsi 
#1 ·
I'm getting my 307 on friday and I'm planning on ordering a new stereo tomorrow and hopefully I'll get berried the weekend. Problem is, I'm a bit confused by the wiring to the original head unit. It seems to have ISO-contacts but many shops sell wiring harnesses to the 307. Is there any reason why I should buy a harness, can't I just use the original one? If I can use the original wiring, I'm guessing that I should connect red -> yellow and yellow -> red, correct?

#2 ·
i have just fitted a new one in ours and was not as simple as that. the switched live stays live for a couple of mins which means hu dont turn straight off which i know some people live with but for my application it didnt work so got test lamp out and found a different wire that turns off straight away. also my head unit had a wire in to the iso plugs that i cant remember what it was for but went to the data wire on the car harness so had to disconnect that so that it didnt mess the car up. you can do it with out a harness but if your not very confident with wiring might be worth buying one

#3 ·
Ok, it isn't possible to switch of the switch live function with pp2000? And what if I just turn if the stereo manually, I've had to do it on my old Audi for some time now and don't consider it to be a problem. After I've disconnected the cable that's connected to the ecu of course.

#4 · (Edited)
#7 ·
I've read at least 5 different treads and unfortunately not one describes what cables that goes where. Cross red and yellow isn't a problem, what I'm having a problem understanding is how to disconnect the stereo from the BSI.

As Pauls0701 has said, the switched live stays on for a while as it's controlled by the BSI and turns off when the BSI goes into sleep mode. If the haed unit is wired to this then the unit will power up as soon as the doors are unlocked or if anything else wakes up the BSI.

IIRC, the cable immediately below the BSI controlled switched live in the cars ISO connector is a true switched live which is controlled by the ignition switch. Moving the head units switched live cable one place in the plug will get it working correctly.

Another thing to consider is that without extra cables which are quite expensive, you lose the remote control on the steering column and also the radio information on the MFD.
The usage of the stalk isn't that important for me, not atm anyway. The most important issue for me is installing a new stereo so I can play music through my Iphone. So if I understand you correctly there's two cables other than the red and yellow that have to switch places?

#6 ·
As Pauls0701 has said, the switched live stays on for a while as it's controlled by the BSI and turns off when the BSI goes into sleep mode. If the haed unit is wired to this then the unit will power up as soon as the doors are unlocked or if anything else wakes up the BSI.

IIRC, the cable immediately below the BSI controlled switched live in the cars ISO connector is a true switched live which is controlled by the ignition switch. Moving the head units switched live cable one place in the plug will get it working correctly.

Another thing to consider is that without extra cables which are quite expensive, you lose the remote control on the steering column and also the radio information on the MFD.

#8 ·
The red & yellow cables are the permanant live and the switched live. Unfortunately some radio's use the red for permanant while others use the yellow hence the reason they sometimes need swapping.

On the Peugeot, the switched live is controlled by the BSI and so an after market unit stays on for a time after the ignition key is removed. There is another wire in the connector in the cars loom that has a switched live that does go off when the ignition is switched off. You need to find this wire and connect either the red or the yellow wire to it. Which wire you connect depends on which of the two is the switched feed to the radio.

#14 ·
When I got my stereo, the yellow wire was originally in the position immediately above where it is now and this worked fine in my 55 plate facelift 307, the 04 Renault laguna before that and in the 02 astra before that.

When I fitted it in the 04 pre-facelift 307 the stereo stayed on for 1 minute & 40 seconds after I removed the ignition key. With a multimeter, I fiound the cable below was live with the ignition on and switched off as soon as the ignition was turned off. It is also live with the ignition turned to the first (aux) position.

DISCLAIMER: This works on my 04 plate 307. I cannot guarantee it will work with any other car regardless of make, model, year or colour

#15 ·
When I got my stereo, the yellow wire was originally in the position immediately above where it is now and this worked fine in my 55 plate facelift 307, the 04 Renault laguna before that and in the 02 astra before that.

When I fitted it in the 04 pre-facelift 307 the stereo stayed on for 1 minute & 40 seconds after I removed the ignition key. With a multimeter, I fiound the cable below was live with the ignition on and switched off as soon as the ignition was turned off. It is also live with the ignition turned to the first (aux) position.

DISCLAIMER: This works on my 04 plate 307. I cannot guarantee it will work with any other car regardless of make, model, year or colour

Pics
Great, Will try this first thing when I get the car tomorrow. Thank you very much! :)

#17 ·
The wires are not colour coded. It is the code you should read to understand what it is used for. Hence the confusion on threads.
I understand you have a Haynes manual, via your other thread, this will give you the codes. However they can be difficult to read. Letters small and sometimes covered over with binding tape.

#18 ·
I named the colours as they are on my car just to make sure there was no error in which wire did what. I doubt that Peugeot will have changed the locations of these wires even IF they change the colours of the individual wire in different looms for the same style & model. If they did then no-one would be able to supply adapter cables for after market head units.

The Haynes manual also indicates the wire colours in their wiring diagrams so if the looms aren't colour coded what use is this information ? I would have thought that the colours would be standard for a model as it would be cheaper & easier for the manufacturer to build them all the same not to mention any quality control testing that may or may not take place :)

#26 ·
Sorry if my sarcasm towards him made you believe that I won't do like you did. You obviously have more and better advice and I have no doubt that the way you did it is the right way. As I've pointed out English isn't my best language and therefore I might be difficult to understand. Again, sorry for the misunderstanding and I really appreciate the help that you've been contributing.

#31 · (Edited)
In my opinion there shouldn't be any need to start swapping wires out of the ISO plug on the car's wiring loom. They're fiddly and there's a danger of damage to the plug if you're not careful, which is why manufacturers like Sony and others give you the option to change them with bullet connectors.
I didn't move any wires in the cars harness. The yellow wire was in the ISO cable that came with the stereo. It's an Alpine unit which apart from speaker connections has only a live, switched live and ground connector. There is also a wire which provides power to an electric aerial but isn't being used in my case. The red and yellow wires have bullet connectors so they can be swapped but this is only useful if both the permanent live and switched live in the radio harness and the car harness match up but might be reversed. It doesn't help if one or the other is in a different pin location in the car harness.

NOTE: You need to check the cables carefully first to make sure that you are connecting them correctly before making any changes.

As the stereo harness was originally wired, the switched live in the stereo plug mated with the BSI controlled switched live and this stayed live for 100 seconds after turning off the ignition. The wire next to this location in the car harness was a true switched live so I moved the wire in the stereo harness so that the stereo turned off immediately with the ignition.

Swapping the wire isn't all that difficult. There is a 'barb' which needs pressing down with a small flat blade screwdriver which allows the wire to be pulled out. Push the 'barb' back up then re-insert into the correct hole in the
stereo plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.