Add amp and sub to RD4 - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Tuning & Modifications > Audio (Sound) and Multimedia
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-16, 03:30 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Add amp and sub to RD4

Hi guys,

I want to add an amplifier and subwoofer to the manufacturer fitted standard RD4 unit in my Peugeot 407 2006 2.0 HDI. I could change the RD4 head unit but since it has bluetooth built in, and it works great, I'd rather just leave the car as standard.

So, please see the attached diagram. So the amplifier needs to be connected to the head unit via REAR LEFT (+ and -) and REAR RIGHT (+ and -) speakers, and also to the AMP/IGNITION wire. Thats 5 wires in total.

So, I'm assuming that on the diagram (PART A), its the following:
Rear Left + = Pin 4
Rear Left - = Pin 8
Rear Right + = Pin 1
Rear Right - = Pin 5
Amp / Ign = Pin 12

Could somebody please tell me the following:

1) Have I got the pins right above?

2) If I did this, would the amp actually work, or does the amp require special output from the head unit?

3) It's an RCA cable that will be connecting the amp to the head unit. Obviously if I'm going to connect the amp to the harness as per the pins listed above, then I'll need to cut the RCA cable on one end, and split the + and - so that the cables can be joined to the wires associated with the pins. So in the RCA plug, which is the positive and which is the negative? Or is there a wire which is RCA on one end, and loose wire on the other end?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
28729d1435426464-adding-aux-cable-rd4-radio-image-0001.jpg  
hab786 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-16, 04:52 PM   #2

RCA inputs are usually line level inputs rather than speaker outputs. There are no line level outputs on the RD4 so you risk at best distortion to worst case blowing the amp if you use the speakers as the input.

I'm not certain of this but the speaker - lines may not be ground as the outputs may be a push-pull arrangement to get a higher power rating so if the - input of the amp is a ground you also run the risk of blowing the head unit power amp chip. You may need to add some kind of speaker to line level converter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by storeman; 04-04-16 at 12:44 PM.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-16, 08:46 PM   #3
Inactive User

Ok... but if they are inputs, then how does the sound output into the speakers from the head unit?

What if I took the cable from behind the door panels (where the rear door speakers are) and took the Rear Left -/+ and Rear Right -/+ from there into the amp?

How else can this be done?

Old 03-04-16, 09:00 PM   #4
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by storeman View Post
RCA inputs are usually line level inputs rather than speaker outputs. There are no line level outputs on the RD4 so you risk at best distortion to worst case blowing the amp if you use the speakers as the input.

I'm not certain of this but the speaker - lines may not be ground as the outputs may be bridged to get a higher power rating so if the - input of the amp is a ground you also run the rick of blowing the head unit power amp chip. You may need to add some kind of speaker to line level converter.
After a bit more research, I know understand what you mean!

So, what do you think of this adapter:
High to Low Rear Car Speaker to RCA Line Converter for Car Amps CTLOC10 | eBay

Product Description: "Line level converter / High-Low converter allows the user to run an RCA cable to an amplifier with a radio that only has speaker wire outputs. (Can not be reverse) Works with home and car stereo system."

Could you possibly advise: On what pins (from the diagram above) I would connect the 5 wires that come out of this adapter?

Thanks
Old 04-04-16, 12:51 PM   #5

From the advert you linked to.........

Installation Guide
1 x Black = Earth
2 x Green = Left Positive and Negative Speaker Connection
2 x Grey = Right Positive and Negative Speaker Connection

You need to know what the amp will accept as inputs before you go spending money on additional equipment. I bought active speakers a long time ago with each speaker having it's own 50 watt amp. These accepted speaker level inputs as each speaker amp had it's own attenuator built in. If the amp you have or are intending to buy is just for the sub then it's likely to accept speaker level but if it's a four channel plus sub then most of the ones I've seen from the dark days when I wanted more from the factory standard than it could provide were line level - but that was quite some time ago

You need to get the specifications of the equipment you intend to fit before anyone can give you a definitive answer. Without this information it's all just guesswork.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by storeman; 04-04-16 at 12:54 PM.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-16, 07:37 PM   #6
Inactive User

Yeah, the amp will only be running a sub, and its an old (bought 2009) 2 channel one. It should do the trick but I'll let you know as soon as I fit it and test it :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in