XUD9TE 1.9 TD oil burning cause? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > MPVs > 806/807
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-07-13, 08:58 PM   #1

Question XUD9TE 1.9 TD oil burning cause?

Hello all
My peugeot 806 1.9 TD (1999) was blowing bluish smoke at 1350 revs/min. At lower revs below 1350 the smoke vanished. As there were signs of oil in the pipes/tubes directing air from the turbo to the manifold on the cyl head I thought the turbo would be at fault so took the engine out and removed the turbo. After removing the manifold I noticed oily deposits in the exhaust ports in the cylinder head but only in 2 of therm - the two ports nearest the cambelt end. I only recently had the engine out having the head skimmed and fitted a new head gasket so i don't think the head gasket has gone.
My questions are
1 - Am I right in assuming it a worn turbo that caused the bluish exhaust smoke
2 - What caused the oily deposits in the cyl head exhaust ports - could this also have contributed to the bluish smoke?
I am stumped now and do not know what to do next except I need to find the cause of the oil ingress. I am a little worried now that if I only rebuild the turbo, and put the engine back in hoping the problem is solved, the bluish smoke may well appear again. I don't want to have to take out the engine a third time (I don't have a garage so working on the vehicle at the end of a cul-de-sac is not ideal)
many thanks Andrew
andrewl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-01-14, 07:49 PM   #2
Inactive User

did you ever get to the bottom of this, I have a burning oil issue too, was thinking of spending some money on it as the floors are solid, but I dont know how hard it will be to get the engine out, once did a gearbox/clutch and that was a pain... how hard was dropping/puling the engine?
flez1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-01-14, 08:31 AM   #3

My research suggested it was the turbo which I subsequently rebuilt. The turbo can be removed with the engine in place but some work is required to the engine area to create space for removal of turbo

For whole engine removal, once everything is disconnected the engine and gearbox comes out easily but the time is in the preparation for the removal. I had to drain the coolant, engine and gearbox oil and the pas fluid too. The parts that I removed were the front end/condenser/radiator (the AC system was not charged)and the drive shafts. I disconnected all the cables (leaving the harness in place) and pipes/tubes and noted all for ease of reconnection, and also the exhaust pipe. The engine came out of the front rather than upwards.

I enjoyed the work first time round but if I did it again I reckon it would take me 4+ hours for preparation and I would not enjoy it as much. I don't know how a garage would do it but certainly less time than I took.

Cheers and good luck
andrewl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 25-01-14, 09:46 AM   #4
Inactive User

thanks for explaining that, it kind of sounds very much like I thought it would be, I will disconnect the turbo from the engine first to see if it stops smoking, if it does, then i can go with the turbo, if it doesnt, then i will try to get it for an mot in the 'hope' it scraped through, then i can sell the petrol one i have, buy the parts it needs, and wait for warmer weather to get on with it
Lez.
flez1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in