Tapping noise from engine - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > MPVs > 806/807
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-16, 12:19 PM   #1

Default Tapping noise from engine

Any advice on why my 1.9TD XuD makes a noisy tapping noise at start up? When engine reaches operating temp the tapping noise quietens down but still audible especially when waiting in traffic queues. Can't hear it at speed on road only when doing a speed upto 40mph ish. On acceleration the noise increases then quietens when at a cruising speed. Tapping noise disappears when decelerating and the engine sounds really healthy. Any ideas? Anything to worry about? I'm off to France in a couple of weeks with my two teenagers so peace of mind would be great. It a recon engine with 40k miles - so they said.
andrewl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-16, 12:24 PM   #2

Both mine and my mates XMs, both 2.1td used to do this, I used a thicker 20/50 oil which stopped it.

Never had this problem with 1.9s though but would suspect it's tappets.
citrail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-16, 03:45 PM   #3

Thanks
I tried the bar-to-ear trick at various places and could not hear any out of the ordinary noise that was in sync with the tapping noise. I say tapping noise but it sounds more like an annoying diesel knock when standing outside car.
Found some suggestion on the www such as
1 - clatter was diesel knock caused by false readings from the crank sensor to the ecu affecting the timing, this was due to the inner half of the pulley oscillating and not running true over the sensor
2 - timing advance solenoid sticking
3 - Needle lift sensor on injector - all injectors sounded ok using bar-to ear trick
4 - Tappets - sounded ok when used bar-to ear trick.
5 - sticking injector 1 (one with wire) - none of mine has a wire to it.
6 - not enough diesel firing due to fuel supply issue
7 - Glow plugs - can't see how these can affect knocking noise
Could be either 1, 2, 6 or 7 above. Will have to wait after France trip to investigate further.
Could this be something to worry about or can I wait until after the France trip?
Any thoughts please for peace of mind.

Last edited by andrewl; 10-07-16 at 03:48 PM. Reason: addition made

Old 10-07-16, 05:43 PM   #4

Really can't see it being 1 as yours is an old XUD.

Other than doing a quick oil change to see what happens, have you checked the alternator belt/tensioner pulley and even crank pulley. I've know the alt belt make a cracking sound if it's lost some of it grooves.

Do you know what grade oil is in it?
When is your trip to France? I've got some spare Bosch injectors you could try but I'd be very surprised if it's that.

Last edited by citrail; 10-07-16 at 05:45 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-07-16, 09:37 PM   #5

Hi citrail
Off to France on 27 July.
I'll check the auxiliary belt pulleys next weekend (I'm away in Reading during week days). Oil grade Magnatec 5w-40 C3. Should I change to magnetic 15w-40 A3/B4 or is this too thick an oil for my engine (1999)? As you suggest it may not be the injectors and when I did the bar-ear trick and all injectors sounded ok.
Old 11-07-16, 07:28 AM   #6

I would certainly do an oil change and see what happens. These are very old engines, designed way-back-when.
Old 11-07-16, 08:55 PM   #7
Inactive User

My partner wrote off my Peugeot 306 xud9 dt last year and I bought another decent one, with a blown engine for 120. I decided to change the oil seals, water pump, timing belt kit, egr delete, de cat, head gasket etc, on my old engine and transplant into new car. I had done around 180,000 on the engine since I bought it at 22,000. I removed the main bearing shells and found them to be in really good condition for the mileage they had done. I had always used Castrol 10/40 or 15/40 (depending what was on offer and often mixing both) semi synth 6k miles or 6 month intervals religiously. I bought genuine Peugeot parts for the rebuild from a Peugeot indy . Around the same time I bought a Peugeot 806 xud9 dt and noticed the service interval to be 10,000 same engine. Phoned the Indy and his words were. Ignore the 10k oil service, carry on with 10/40 semi at 6k 6 months. He also said that they don't need fancy oils ordinary Castrol is fine, and that the turbos were more prone to failing than the engines due to lack of oil changes. So it looks like I fluked my way through for the past 17 years. Oh and it's the original turbo. Oh and I drove it hard until the 1st of the kids arrived 4 years ago.

Last edited by Xudpug; 11-07-16 at 08:58 PM.
Xudpug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-16, 06:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewl View Post
Hi citrail
Off to France on 27 July.
I'll check the auxiliary belt pulleys next weekend (I'm away in Reading during week days). Oil grade Magnatec 5w-40 C3. Should I change to magnetic 15w-40 A3/B4 or is this too thick an oil for my engine (1999)? As you suggest it may not be the injectors and when I did the bar-ear trick and all injectors sounded ok.
Just a quick note - the "w" number in the oil grade refers to the winter/cold weather/cold start, and the second number (the "40" in those above) refers to the viscosity of the oil at 100 deg C.

The lower the winter/cold start number, the better oil performance at lower temperatures.

For this time of year, I imagine the difference between the two is barely noticeable.

It's always best sticking to the recommended oil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jimmymarsbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-16, 07:00 AM   #9

A ticking type noise was the alternator belt pulley on two of my 306s.
citrail likes this.
Old 13-07-16, 08:06 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for all the sound advice.
I'll change the oil now at every 6k miles an I'll tighten up the auxiliary belt this weekend which does look as though it's whipping about. Will give feedback this weekend.
Cheers

Last edited by andrewl; 13-07-16 at 08:07 PM. Reason: correct wording
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in