Issues at the petrol station - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > MPVs > 806/807
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-13, 09:59 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Issues at the petrol station

Hi guys, I have had an issue with my car for a few months now after my wife filled the car to the very top of diesel and I'm getting close to scrapping it all together, biting the bullet and buying a new car.

When ever I try to put diesel into the car I can only ever get a pound or so before the sensor on the pump shuts the flow off, I have spent nearly an hour there before to get just 20's worth of diesel into it.

My brother in law works at our local Peugeot garage and he said I needed a new petrol tank and so I bought one from ebay for 50 and he fitted it. This however changed nothing and the same issue is still there.

Can anyone shed some light into what I can do to resolve please?

2007 DTI 807
shaun2312 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-13, 11:09 AM   #2

I've had similar problems with different cars and the solutions was pretty simple.

Don't put the nozzle into the tube all the way and try moving the nozzle round to different positions plus only squeeze the pump trigger part way. By only squeezing the trigger gently the diesel comes out slowly and doesn't aeriate as much resulting in less blow back which shuts off the fuel flow.
shaun2312 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-13, 12:20 PM   #3

Same here - leave a bit of a gap and I turn the nozzle a quarter turn clockwise.

I think David Ireland once posted something about it being a breather issue on the filler. I've certainly never heard of replacing the tank.

And do you use the same petrol station every time or does it happen at different ones?
shaun2312 likes this.

Old 06-11-13, 12:38 PM   #4
Inactive User

Thanks for the quick replies, I've tried about every angle I can make the nozzle turn pulling out nearly all the way too, still stops constantly
Old 06-11-13, 12:53 PM   #5
Inactive User

I am generalising, as I don't know that specific motor to say exactly, but;

Is the fuel filler pipe separate or part of the tank?

If it is a separate piece, did the B.I.L check the filler pipe for blockages, choked breather, damaged anti-siphon trap etc, before sticking the new tank on.

Another possibility, but harder to explain:

Many tanks, but derv in particular, have a valve and chamber built into the filler pipe.

The reason is, as you fill up, the valve closes off the chamber, creating an air gap.

You can fill the neck to the brim, because when you pull the nozzle out, the valve opens, fuel from the filler pipe fills it, dropping the level of fuel in the neck.

This is creating room for expansion so the brimmed tank does not overflow.

It could be that you have a stuck valve, and are filling via the expansion chamber.
shaun2312 likes this.
Old 06-11-13, 12:55 PM   #6

Sounds like its a problem with the filler neck/breather rather than tank itself.

If the breather is blocked it may cause problems however the most likely would be a restrictive filler neck. This can happen if some sod has put something down it or if it has become crushed/deformed. Either way it will restrict flow of fuel into the tank causing it to back up and prematurely trigger the auto shut off.
shaun2312 likes this.
Old 06-11-13, 01:04 PM   #7
Inactive User

How would I check a stuck valve or neck? or is this something I need to take to a garage and suggest they do?

Edit: Its all part of the tank, so not separate. In the old tank they said that the sensor thing had dropped down into the tank so it wasnt registering. Personally I dont think they know what their doing so were just guessing, And clearly their guess was wrong as its still the same now.
Old 06-11-13, 01:20 PM   #8
Inactive User

Like I say, I am only generalising, your car may not even be set up that way, and without knowing the car, or being able to take a look, I am only giving very rough advice, so bear that in mind.

The first thing to do is remove the filler cap, and look if there is a spring loaded cap behind it. Check it moves, and that there is no obvious damage.

Next, push it gently open, have a look for anything that could be blocking the pipe, and for any other pipes/fittings/holes/whatever (other than the big obvious one that goes straight to the tank), that may indicate an expansion chamber.

Stick your head into the wheel arch, and if you can see any of the filler pipe, look for damage/pinch points etc.

Look for a smaller pipe (breather), or a large but short section (expansion), follow them to figure out where it starts and ends, check they are not blocked or pinched etc.

If none of that helps, you would want to drop the tank, so you have access to both ends of the filler pipe, and check it all works properly.

Unless the filler pipe is part of the tank, there would be no reason to change the tank.

The problem you have is getting fuel in, and/or air out. The problem is with the filler, and/or breather, and/or expansion chamber.

Best of luck.

EDIT: Just seen your edit. Advice is still good in principle. Not sure what sensor they could be talking about.
shaun2312 likes this.

Last edited by Griogarach; 06-11-13 at 01:25 PM. Reason: New info from OP
Griogarach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-13, 07:20 AM   #9

Crawled under our 807 last night, there is a filler neck from the tank up to where the nozzle from the diesel pump goes in. It is joined to the side of the tank with a large rubber band and hose clips. There are a couple of bends in the neck including a 90 bend close to the tank. There is also a smaller diameter breather pipe from the top of the tank joining the filler neck pipe at the top. Both these pipes have to be clear to allow successful filling of the tank and one of them has to be blocked to give you the grief at the filling station. We have never had a problem filling ours so your problem is solvable.
I pushed a garden hose down the filler neck pipe and got about 3 foot in before it stopped at the bottom elbow so there is no one way valve or anti siphon trap to stop fuel flowing.
I suggest you wait until the low fuel light comes on and get the garage to jack up the rear of the car so fuel will flow to the front of the tank and remove the nearside rear wheel and remove the two pipes and check them for blockages or kinks, it looks fairly straightforward to do this.
Let us know how you get on, good luck.
wynb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13-02-14, 06:43 PM   #10
Inactive User

Ok, I finally got under the car last night and noticed a pipe coming up near the inside of the inlet which some sponge over the hole.

It was very muddy so i removed it ( i assume its to stop dirt getting into the tank) but now the Wife has said it fills fine now.

I know at some point I will regret taking it off but for now at least I can put diesel in the car!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in