Hopeful new 806 owner, watch this space! - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > MPVs > 806/807
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-16, 02:07 PM   #1

Default Hopeful new 806 owner, watch this space!

This is my first post here, I will introduce myself properly and put some pictures up as soon as I can.
Having enjoyed a 306 2.0HDi Meridian for many years, the family has outgrown it and tomorrow, Thursday, I am off on an epic journey to see and hopefully buy an 806HDi.
I have taken the time to read back as many 806 posts as I can and am not yet put off, the dealer says it all works as it should, seems well cared for and is under 100K mileage.
I won't have long to make up my mind, and I can't really hope to leave it standing to cold start it, but any tips are welcome.
It is hoped to do a fair bit of towing a caravan and maybe see some warmer climes south this winter, its a manual, Peugeot 806 2.0HDI 110 ( 7 seater ) 2000MY LX.
I was intrigued by the talk of Webastos on some previous threads, and would be thrilled if it had one, is that possible? Otherwise I might consider fitting some kind of stationary heater in the future.
Also I will be looking for a full roof rack for it as I am busy carrying stuff around most of the time, guess one for an Expert of the same year will fit.
Anyhow, getting ahead of myself a bit, but wish me well and let me know what you think please, this will hopefully be a long term motor car.
If anyone wants to throw a spanner in the works at this stage and offer a sweet alternative 806 you are welcome, you can see the one I am after on a well known auction site if you would like to comment on my choice or advise on what to look out for.
Thanks
Rollercoast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-16, 10:31 PM   #2

If it's the one in Folkstone it don't look too bad. Dislike the badge on the front and those seats are the most dreadful seats I've ever come across, but easy to change.
The radio has been changed so unlikely the steering wheel remote controls will work.
Being a "poverty spec" car, no fog lights. Check the sills for rust, they're renown for it, as is the front subframe, particulary on the forward inside edges if that makes sense, easily visable on a dry day.

Personally, I just think it's a bit too pricey for what it is, but good luck if you're going for it.

Here's a front subframe I took off recently

Last edited by citrail; 07-12-16 at 10:34 PM. Reason: adding photo
citrail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-16, 06:00 AM   #3

I'd go for this
peugeot 807 | eBay
power side doors, towbar, heater, 2 keys etc
Your left knee will thank you! Just get the cambelt done if no proof of done in last 5 years. Ours is on 225K
wynb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-16, 09:09 AM   #4

Thats the one. Folkestone
Thanks, good inside knowledge..
I read about the cills but the subframe note is useful.
The seats! I had no idea that there were such differences.
Are you thinking of the material, the pattern or the plushness?
My missus is all about comfort as gets stress with her back,
hence swivelling round to sort out the kids is a huge improvement.

On that point there has been some complaints about clutch,
is it going to be so much heavier than our 306 Meridian?
Is that all the years/models, as the one I tried seemed ok..

Thanks especially for taking the time to include the picture,
I will be checking that spot as well as the cills.
What would you do about the rust there if it needed treatment,
and if the cills are going are there replacements available?

Since looking for one of these I have had the feeling that a good one will be hard to find,
There is a Citroen version in Sturminster Newton, Dorset, that is twice the price.
And another just come up too..
Low mileage is high on my wish list, and seems an unlikely find.

Returned now from viewing the Folkestone 806, not much rust to report, but no swivel seats, and a gut feeling that it was not the car for me.
It absolutely stank for a start which my missus would not appreciate, and although I could be wrong (I didnt test drive it) just flooring the accelerator at standstill the motor seemed reluctant to speed up, not like our 306 HDi.

I am still convinced that this model is what we need, and more than ever think that getting a really good one is important.
Great seats yes, great mechanics and no rust, all the wonderful extras that are available too. A car to cherish and maintain while using it to the maximum.

All help appreciated.
Old 09-12-16, 12:09 PM   #5

The subframe above come off a 80k miles 806, albeit an R reg. My Ulysse had 160k when I sold it and the subframe was like new.
Keep a lookout for the Ulysse version as well, usually sell that bit cheaper, but the same car.
Old 09-12-16, 05:43 PM   #6

Yes i have been looking for all of the cars,
the Synergie in Dorset looks very clean but at 2.5K its expensive.
I dont mind paying well for a good one as its a keeper car.
These things even out over time.

Some more questions.
My assumption is that 806's are tough built onto what was the same as a van chassis.
I can see some possible flaws, the springs and details might be different?
The later 807's are more car like, less able to carry a load, is that true?
Offhand observation looks like the 806's run van size tyres 807's more like cars.

I am also drawn to the earlier version as I read a lot about sensor signal issues,
and similar technical problems in later models.
wynb
My friend has an 807 and loves it has no problems.
If my previous assumptions are false then I could reconsider.

Round here Expert type vans are rated highly and seem to command more than the same 7 seat cars, which seems odd.
I would prefer the versatility of the car/van option using it for family or work.
Also we have been so happy with our 306 2.0Hdi it seems obvious to stay in that era.
Old 09-12-16, 06:06 PM   #7

That blue Synergie has been for sale for at least 3 years on ebay!

I know some of the last 806s had the 16valve engine which may be better in many aspects, but it's more complicated so likely to be more expensive when something goes wrong.

As for the 807s (EV2) my experiance was a BAD one, has to be the worst car I ever owned, lovely thing to look at and drive but couldn't go far before something either fell off or lights and buzzers started screaming at me. I ploughed 0000s into mine and still couldn't get it sorted so personally I wouldn't have another if they were giving them away.

I know some people may have had a bad experiance with the EV1s (806/Synergie/Ulysse) but mine has been a great experiance, the Ulysse I had for 7 years and other than routine servicing only cost me a set of rear brake shoes due to a brake lining coming adrift from the shoe, best car I've ever owned. My current daily is an R reg 806, now with 85k on the clock, it drives like brand new, instant starter and the most fantastic heater you could wish for.

I've just sold a near mint 806 Roland Garros to a Lady from Poole, she travelled up to Wakefield to collect it and drove it home the same day, paid me 800 for it.

I know I'm an old dinosaur but I lke the old 1.9XUD engines, just so much less to go wrong.

The only criticism I have of these cars is that they tend to be heavy on the front tyres.

Last edited by citrail; 09-12-16 at 06:09 PM. Reason: correct typo's
Old 10-12-16, 07:39 AM   #8

Well I am aligned with your thinking.
Rather upset I missed your Roland Garros tho.

Three years!
Amazing, I must go and look just to see if it still looks like it does in the photos!

Do you prefer the non turbo, (is that the 1.9XUD?)
My friend has one in a 306 I think, he loves it too for the same reason.
It would be a little hard to get used to after a 2.0HDi,
i do realise there is a lot less to go wrong but then nothing ever went wrong for us and the power to economy ratio seems excellent.

Will investigate further thanks, interesting...
Old 10-12-16, 09:07 AM   #9

I'm pretty sure they didn't do the n/a 1.9 in the car version, but very common in the vans.
Old 10-12-16, 02:01 PM   #10

Reliable would know better than me but from what I can see an 807 is simply a restyled 806 with lots of worthwhile (OK some are worthless like the sat nav & phone on Execs) extras like the power doors, hydraulic clutch etc. Underneath looks the same to me. It is far more complex but it feels like Peugeot did some market research and included the findings in the 807
wynb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in