Does a 806 petrol engine have spark plugs? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > MPVs > 806/807
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By wynb
  • 1 Post By reliable406

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-16, 11:51 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Does a 806 petrol engine have spark plugs?

This might be a really dumb question but does a 806 petrol engine have spark plugs? i really feel like i am being fooled by mechanics, first i had the clutch problem and my mobile mechanic said he can't fit a clutch as it needs to go into a garage due to some frame needs removing a mate of his quoted minimum 300 labour plus parts, then it started firing on 3 cylinders so i put it up for sale, a mechanic came to see it and he reckoned the clutch was a easy fix but was more concerned about it firing on 3 cylinders, he plugged in his diagnostic gismo and reckoned it was not showing up any faults so must be a burnt exhaust valve then it suddenly come to me, years ago when i was young enough to play with cars they had spark plugs, do modern injector engines still have spark plugs? the mechanic who came to buy it has badgered the price down to 100 but did not come and buy tonight as planned, i put it back on Gumtree and someone reported my ad and it was removed (apparently a Peugeot 806 should be in the van section) just got this feeling he will get back tomorrow with a even lower offer, if my car has spark plugs then surely you would check there first or does the injector have a built in spark? sorry for the stupidity but i don't know
smartbillr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-16, 07:02 AM   #2

If it has developed a mis fire suddenly I would be thinking faulty coil or spark plug (yes it has 4 plugs!) rather than burnt exhaust valve. Think it would be best to book it in to a Peugeot independent, I'm sceptical of the advice you're getting.
Gibbo and citrail like this.
wynb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-16, 08:02 AM   #3

Agree, you're just been seen as a soft target by unscrupulous people in the trade so they can make more profit.

You don't mention which engine you have, but I checked the 1.8 and 2L and they both have plugs and a coil pack. This is the 1.8:

Old 06-05-16, 08:39 AM   #4

All petrol engines have spark plugs,806`s even have plug leads.
I would expect the misfire to be something elementary like the plugs,leads or coil pack ?
Highly unlikely its an engine problem,I`ve never known an XU petrol engine burn a valve.
Find yourself a decent Peugeot/Citroen small independent who will give the engine a proper diagnosis and an honest quote for the clutch.

The clutch is a long subframe off job,not the sort of job your mobile mechanic would want to do on his back in your driveway.
Old Pug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-16, 03:03 PM   #5

Clutch can be done without removing subframe there is just enough room to do it if gearbox is moved as far as possible away from engine

Subframe removal is the LAST resort in my opinion engine removal is far quicker even though it sounds a big task subframe removal can easily end in tears due to captive bolts snapping in chassis i can have the complete engine and box out in 3 hours as you remove the whole front of car then access is easy.
citrail likes this.
Old 06-05-16, 04:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
Clutch can be done without removing subframe there is just enough room to do it if gearbox is moved as far as possible away from engine

Subframe removal is the LAST resort in my opinion engine removal is far quicker even though it sounds a big task subframe removal can easily end in tears due to captive bolts snapping in chassis i can have the complete engine and box out in 3 hours as you remove the whole front of car then access is easy.
So three hours to get the Engine out three back in plus the time changing the clutch Plus parts
So the 300 labour is probably about right at a Garage

When it is very dark Lift bonnet with engine started check to see if you have sparks jumping from leads anywhere (shorting out of leads )
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in