Cold Weather Starting Issue on my 1.9td 806 SVDT - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > MPVs > 806/807
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-11, 07:34 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Cold Weather Starting Issue on my 1.9td 806 SVDT

Hi All,

This is my first time posting on here, I am the proud owner of an epic 307 HDi 90 and a not so epic 806 1.9 svdt but it is getting there. It will be my second midi-camper car

The 806 runs fine and is a good solid car but getting it started in the cold has been tough.

Please bear with me on this one as it is quite long winded..

The guy I bought it from, who now has negative feedback (ebay) basically miss-informed me of a few things on the car, the first was the battery, it was dead as a doornail. He helped by jumpstarting it correctly to show that it was running. I turned it off and he "helped" again by jumpstarting but this time the wrong way around i.e. positive on the neg terminal and vice versa sparks and swearing etc.

have a brand new bosch battery fitted now

The first time that it was jumpstarted I saw the glowplug light but I haven't seen it since the second jumpstart (about a week) Could the bad jumpstart attempt have killed something?

I checked all of the fuses in the glovebox and in the engine bay and they are all fine. I did have to change the fuse in the after market stereo which now works.

So that lead me to the pre-heat relay, so I have replaced it with a new one and it makes all the right noises, literally.

I have tested that there is power from battery to the pre-heat relay and glow plugs, all ok 12v. tested with and without ignition also, but still no light on the dash.

When I try to start I wait as if waiting for the light to go out, and with no acceleration turn the key. I have found out that if i turn for a few seconds and then wait with the ignition on for about a minute it will rough start with the good old white smoke from unburned fuel?

Once running its fine...??

Could old glow plugs cause the light on the dash to fail even if they are showing 12v at the rail?

And does the bad start mean that the glow plugs are faulty or the light in the dash has blown?

Other things;

I have a leaky no2 injector which has had new bleed off piping as air in the system can make a bad starter (replacement injector on it's way)

I have fixed the big sliding sunroof by cleaning out the runners and applying WD40

and changed a rear tyre for the spare as it had two nails in it.

The Electric mirrors are the only things that don't work although they do fold in and out (passenger one folds out too far actually)

Thanks for the long read, please feel free to offer constructive advice as I don't want to sell/burn/crash it into a river

Thanks all!
Sleep-O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-11, 07:59 AM   #2
Inactive User

Ok..........
You may have juice at the glow plug rail, but you also need to know how long for. Not sure if it is a basic 'timer' relay (ie gives 15 seconds whatever the temp is) or whether it is determined using the coolant temp sender.

Just because you have juice to the rail, doesn't mean that the glow plugs themselves aren't knackered, so i'd change them to be on the safe side. Ideally get the engine up to temp before doing this as it makes them easier to get out.

If you have a knackered injector, this will not be helping your cause, and could explain the white smoke if the cylinder is starting off with some fuel in it. I'd also change all the leakoff pipes for new ones, only a couple of quid for a set of them.
danthevan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-11, 01:45 PM   #3
Inactive User

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the advice.

I'll change the glow plugs and the leak off pipes tomorrow.
I'll also check for how long there is power

Any idea why the light is not working on the dash?

Thanks

Steve

Old 10-12-11, 03:26 PM   #4
Inactive User

OK, I changed the glow plugs and leak of pipes and the glow plug light came on with the ignition

Started with no smoke or hesitation once the lamp had gone out. The injector is still leaking so it will be changed (once it arrives)

when i started again after the first start the glow plug light did not show (but I let the ignition lights go out anyway) it started the same as before no smoke or drama.

Will I only see the glow plug light on the first start of the day?

Happy boy tonight. off for a beer now
Old 10-12-11, 03:32 PM   #5
Inactive User

I would say it is probably temperature controlled then, so once engine is warm then plugs arent needed. No point using them if they aint needed!
danthevan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-11, 04:37 PM   #6
Inactive User

That makes sense. My 307 light comes on for a millisecond whatever though....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in