Cold starting problems - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > MPVs > 806/807
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-02-18, 12:26 AM   #1

Red face Cold starting problems

I have been using easistart the last couple of winters whenever car has been St 4-5 hours and temp drops, fine otherwise.but een advised easi start not good and fault is more than likely the glow plugs.
As my 806 is the 16v 2.0 HDI where the glow plugs are right at back and awkward to get at, I thought It might be an idea to test the Glow plug relay first.
Would I be right in thinking the GP relay is sited in the fusebox on th N/S in engin bay and is the one with 2 x 4-5mm cables coming from it? And would it be right to assume that what when ignition turned on I should get a 12v reading on one (or both) the cables meaning the relay is ok and the fault is the glow plugs?
Any advice appreciated!
Billygrimble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-02-18, 08:04 AM   #2

Its not the glowplugs its not cold enough for them to be needed

These engines do not NEED glowplugs to start 1.9 engines need then 2 litres dont

Fault is more than likely the starter getting weak well known issue on 2 litres it simply turns too slow.
Old 15-02-18, 10:47 AM   #3

Unhappy Reliable 406

Thanks for advice but av changed starter twice, got most powerful one on.fine in rest of year just when temp drops.Don't mind using easi start only takes a minute now! Will it damage engine? A problem only recently started is the auxiliary heater has started running permanently ( don't know if this is related)
Tried to reply sooner but had problems sending reply, cheers again!
Just out of curiosity is the glow plug relay located in the large fusebox nr battery on n/s of engine with 2x4-5mm wires connected? Car is 806 HLX HDI
52 plate with RHZ in chassis no.

Old 15-02-18, 11:05 AM   #4

RHZ is not 16 valve

Glow plug relay is around battery area but it varies over the years it could be on inner wing could be behind battery

Easy start wont do any harm but fixing the real issue would be better

Try jump leads from another car if it still wont start without easy start chances are its not the starter or battery if it does start with jump start then the extra power is helping either a weak starter/battery or wiring issue

As i say these engines really dont need glowplugs something else is wrong.
Old 15-02-18, 01:45 PM   #5

Red face Peugeot 406

Thanks for your advice, I'll try that tomorrow morning and let you know.
Relieved to know I haven't caused damage(touchwood) by using small amounts of easi start, thanks again!
Old 15-02-18, 02:11 PM   #6

Default Problem

Is the fuel pressure holding ok and not draining back into the tank that's why you need the easy start.
Russell31772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-02-18, 02:26 PM   #7

Poor compression will also make cold starting difficult. How many miles has the car done?
Old 15-02-18, 04:01 PM   #8

Default Cold starting

Cheers for advice!Don't (wouldn't have an idea) know about fuel pressure holding, the car's done 140k and as I say has run great for the last 2 years I've had it apart from when temp drops.Been over to France in it 5/6 times no problem.
I'll try it with jump leads attached tomorrow morning as Peugeot 406 suggested and let you know. Cheers
Old 16-02-18, 07:46 AM   #9

Default Cold starting

Tried to start car at 4am with jump leads, cranked it over twice for about 15 secs each time but wouldn't fire so used squirt of easi start to get going and not wake all the street.
So if it doesn't 't (shouldn't) need glow plugs to start and the crank speed is ok then presumably it could be the fuel pressure not high enough and draining back. Any thoughts on a cure, also any idea how to disconnect the aux fan in engine bay without pulling out fuse in glove box leaving car with no fan at all, cheers any advice greatly appreciated
Old 17-02-18, 12:18 AM   #10

You need to try to get a live Diagbox diagnostic done. It will tell you what your cranking speed is, fuel pressure, injector pulses, state of immobiliser, crank/cam syncro etc. It will help stop guessing.

Getting back to your glowplugs... Diesel needs a combination of decent compression and cranking speed to raise it's temperature so it ignites. If your compression is down/cranking speed low, it will not generate the necessary heat to ignite. If your glowplugs work, it can assist to help starting even if the other two are not ideal as the glowplugs should give some initial additional warmth to assist ignition.

Check firstly that the relay is energising the glowplugs and then check each glowplug's resistance. A good one should have one or 2 ohms resistance, faulty ones will either be open circuit or high resistance.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in