Buying an 807 some advice needed please - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > MPVs > 806/807
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-10-13, 02:33 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Buying an 807 some advice needed please

As karmic payback for sins I assume I committed in a previous life, we have decided to buy an 807.
I've seen the reliability index for the 807 and know that I'm entering a world of pain. However, it's the right size, price-range and - most importantly - my wife and mother in law want one. Ergo, I'm doomed.

My one concession has been to insist that we get a diesel. But in my research, I've found that "what car" and other reviewers suggest the 2.2 not the 2.0, describing the smaller engine as "underpowered" and even "wimpy".

However I've found a great car, immaculate, that is a 2.0 diesel and it would be a shame to pass it up if it's only a matter of a few horsepower....

We do mainly around town driving but we do a reasonable amount of motorway journeys with the kids to chessington, bournemouth, northern ireland etc.

Has anyone driven both and able to give me their opinion? Is the 2.0 diesel "wimpy" or will it be ok for a non lead-footed sensible person like me?

Do you have any advice on what to watch out for when I go to see this car?
pooface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-10-13, 04:26 PM   #2

I had an 03 2.2HDI which I think is same power level as newer 2.0HDI. It was ok but no road rocket, I had mine remapped to approx. 150BHP which made it nicer to drive when fully loaded.

I covered 80K in mine after buying it with 100K on the clock and other than a battery and a few random issues with doors (normally where someone tried to open/close it when the electrics where trying to do) and a refill/clean of FAP it was fine

Tyres were also expensive and fronts wear quite quick
Old 22-10-13, 04:58 PM   #3

make sure the cam belt is changed as it is a pretty pricey job from what I recall and the space to do the job is really tight. I had a company 807 and it was great for lugging the family around, I don't recall whether it was a 2.0 or 2.2 but it was okay.
britinbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 22-10-13, 05:36 PM   #4
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy1603 View Post
I had an 03 2.2HDI which I think is same power level as newer 2.0HDI. It was ok but no road rocket, I had mine remapped to approx. 150BHP which made it nicer to drive when fully loaded.

I covered 80K in mine after buying it with 100K on the clock and other than a battery and a few random issues with doors (normally where someone tried to open/close it when the electrics where trying to do) and a refill/clean of FAP it was fine

Tyres were also expensive and fronts wear quite quick
This one is 2005, not sure if that counts as a "newer" one. I'm not keen on modifying cars beyond their manufacturers recommended, largely because I don't know very much about them; I'm still trying to figure out what on earth a "bsi" is lol.

Really glad to hear that yours was so reliable. The one we've selected has full service history from Peugeot etc. and appears to be very clean.

Quick question though....a bit icked out....When you say you cleaned the fap off...I REALLY hope you don't mean what I think you mean!
Old 22-10-13, 05:43 PM   #5
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinbe View Post
make sure the cam belt is changed as it is a pretty pricey job from what I recall and the space to do the job is really tight. I had a company 807 and it was great for lugging the family around, I don't recall whether it was a 2.0 or 2.2 but it was okay.
Thanks for that advice. I have checked with the dealer to make sure that it has been done and the paperwork shows that it has been changed at 70k. It now has 72K.

Because the car is so far away I can't test drive a 2.2 and the 2.0 in the same day so it is hard to judge. Also, I haven't been able to test drive it on the motorway so although it seems fine around town near the dealership, I can't really gauge how well it would do overtaking on the motorway with everyone in the car (for example).

Thanks again for the help though.
Old 22-10-13, 05:45 PM   #6

also, I should add, the company one I used for 4 years did 172,000km before I gave it back. I was always dealer serviced thought the leasing company wouldn't pay for the belt to be done until 160,000km by which time I was getting nervous about the hassle of it breaking.

I was sorry to see it go at the end, it was a good family workhorse.
Old 22-10-13, 05:51 PM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinbe View Post
also, I should add, the company one I used for 4 years did 172,000km before I gave it back. I was always dealer serviced thought the leasing company wouldn't pay for the belt to be done until 160,000km by which time I was getting nervous about the hassle of it breaking.

I was sorry to see it go at the end, it was a good family workhorse.
"Family workhorse" - exactly what we need. If I've given the impression that I want something fast, that wasn't my intention. I suppose it's the difference between having to work it hard versus it coping with relative ease.

Glad to hear that you got some good times out of yours though; it provides a contrast to all the horror stories lol
Old 22-10-13, 06:05 PM   #8

Yes FAP = DPF. Never had a problem just needed topping up and filter clean due to millage. Used to get low to mid 30's MPG and a bit more on a run

Cam belt is not a bad job overall just access is a bit restricted. I did mine on the drive with axle stands and a few bits of bar and 8mm bolts etc to use as locking tools in about 5-6 hrs with tea breaks.

Remember I did have one fault due to a diaphragm leaking in swirl valve, Dealer could not diagnose and suggested new turbo. Traced fault myself and fix was less than 30

Tyre pressure sensor was also an issue one corroded and snapped when I tried to take valve cap off to check pressures Had them removed and switched off with planet.

Last edited by windy1603; 22-10-13 at 09:24 PM. Reason: typo
windy1603 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-10-13, 06:22 PM   #9

It cruised along the snelwegs, autobahn & autoroutes of Europe and did okay on the Motorways in the UK when we were back over. It got loaded up many times for family holidays (camping, skiing etc). I also remember hammering it back from Munich on a couple of occasions to Brussels in the full German style It did okay, but took a bit of winding up at times
Old 23-10-13, 12:34 AM   #10
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy1603 View Post
Yes FAP = DPF. Never had a problem just needed topping up and filter clean due to millage. Used to get low to mid 30's MPG and a bit more on a run

Cam belt is not a bad job overall just access is a bit restricted. I did mine on the drive with axle stands and a few bits of bar and 8mm bolts etc to use as locking tools in about 5-6 hrs with tea breaks.

Remember I did have one fault due to a diaphragm leaking in swirl valve, Dealer could not diagnose and suggested new turbo. Traced fault myself and fix was less than 30

Tyre pressure sensor was also an issue one corroded and snapped when I tried to take valve cap off to check pressures Had them removed and switched off with planet.
Okay, googled fap and dpf and now I know it means diesel particulate filter? Is that something I need to do myself or will it be covered during 10k mile services?

Regarding you doing your own cambelt....you are much braver than me! That is not something I would even attempt.

The cars have typre pressure gauges?! How? The wheels have no electrical connection to the computer...do they?!

I think I need to buy a Haynes manual to learn more about this car.

Thanks for sharing the information, I can see I have a lot to learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in