807 nearside front tyre wear - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > MPVs > 806/807
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-13, 11:46 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default 807 nearside front tyre wear

The outside of the tyre has worn down to canvas in a matter of weeks. Inflated correctly and no significant wear on offside tyre. No accidents or kerbing either. Any suggestions much appreciated here at HS9 5UW (The Isle of Barra, 5 hours from Scottish mainland)
robdaly209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-13, 02:33 PM   #2

How long did the previous tyre last? Quite a lot longer i imagine so what's happened since that one came off. For such an atrocious wear rate either the tyre was faulty or the wheel wasn't seated correctly on the hub causing it to affect the camber setting. What have the tyre fitters said?
trevor 206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-13, 07:12 PM   #3
Inactive User

All four tyres were nearly new when I bought the 807 in August 2012. All tyres have worn normally since then but the nearside front has gone from MOT pass two months ago to canvass showing today. I've had no leaks, punctures, accidents or tyre changes in that time. I noticed it was very worn suddenly 3 weeks ago when I came back here (hs9 5uw) from the mainland. Since then I've done 141 miles and it's worn to the canvass. Steering and cornering seem fine...but there again I rarely get above 30!

Old 09-11-13, 11:12 AM   #4

Has the position of steering wheel changed in the straight ahead postion? If it is not square or has changed get the tracking checked as a first step. Our 807 came with similar wear on the same tyre and tracking adjustment cured it.
wynb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-13, 09:17 AM   #5
Inactive User

It dawned on me yesterday that I had the suspension arms replaced at the MOT in mid July -could something have gone wrong then? I cant even put the spare on as I cant get locking nut off
Old 11-11-13, 02:44 PM   #6

OK here is what has happened, when I replaced one of the front suspension arms on our 807 the straight ahead position of the steering wheel changed slightly. This is beacuse the geometry of the Quinton Hazell pattern part is not quite the same as the original Peugeot part, but because your garage replaced both arms the position of the steering wheel going straight ahead did not change but the tracking is out as the front wheels are no longer in correct alignment.
You need to get the tracking checked, the garage will show you how far it is out and adjust it to get it back to Peugeot's spec and hopefully they will pay for a new tyre, well they would in Wales anyway, all right not without a fight....
Old 11-11-13, 03:03 PM   #7

Sorry mised saying the argument that the garage should pay for the tyre is because most garages would check the tracking after replacing a suspension component but I guess in this case the garage did not bother because the steering wheel was still square in the straight ahead position.
Old 11-11-13, 03:39 PM   #8
Inactive User

Thanks for that very detailed explanation. I've tried getting in touch with the garage who did the work but they are just blanking me. As far as the tracking goes can it effect just one of the tyres. The offside front tyre shows no signs of abnormal wear - unfortunately there is nobody on the island who has the equipment to check the tracking or can it be done without? As it happens I cant even put the steel spare on because I cant slacken the locking nut (I've got another thread running on that one) So I may have to put car on ferry to get it sorted.
Old 11-11-13, 03:53 PM   #9

You will find the drivers side is affected as well but I think because of the camber it is the nearside tyre that wears the most.
You can adjust the tracking yourself with a skid plate like Gunsons Trakrite but it is a bit dear for just one use about 75.00 or so. The track rod nuts often need heat to loosen as well......
Old 11-11-13, 04:10 PM   #10
Inactive User

Thanks again WYNB...I've just heard back from the garage and they said the tracking was reset after the work was done (but I suppose they would say that wouldn't they?) I've asked them what brand the parts were so that I can take it up with the manufacturer (so as not to scare them off) We'll see what they say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in