806 radiator fan switch - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > MPVs > 806/807
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-08-16, 06:23 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 806 radiator fan switch

hello, have had an ongoing prob with our 806 1.9td 1998 in that the radiator cooling fans are running constantly, even b4 starting the engine. sofar have got by with just pulling the fuse so disabling the fans, but would like to sort this. have been advised that most likely culprit is the radiator fan switch, this is stocked by ecp and shows in the peter russek book. however have spent the whole day trying to locate it, its meant to be under the bottom hose but no sign. i tried tracing the wires from the fans but no luck. in desparation i've taken the complete fan assembly out of the car which gives all round access to the radiator, still no sign of the pesky fan switch. i did notice the radiator looked in quite good condition for an 18yr old car. we've owned the car for 9 years and never changed it so am thinking it was changed b4 us for a pattern part that has no fan switch but surely there would still be wires from the fans for the old radiator switch. have found a strange looking sensor that fits in the fan housing at the top with the words "roche moreau pierrelaye with the number 17 stamped in the middle, one end goes to a brown block connector grouped with the other radiator fan wires, the other end has 2 wires going to a black housing holding a silver sensor- any ideas as 2 what this is and with the above would be much appreciated- one good note i finally found the crank angle sensor so hope changing this will solve the hot starting prob
tightfist9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-08-16, 07:57 PM   #2

Under the TOP hose.

Where is this crank sensor you found?

Last edited by citrail; 15-08-16 at 08:03 PM. Reason: adding photo
citrail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-08-16, 08:35 PM   #3
Inactive User

Default 806 rad fan switch

hi citrail, thanks for prompt reply. i've just been out to car and checked and where your switch is in your photo is just plastic moulding on mine altho the rest looks similar ie the bottom drain plug- the sticker on the rad says valeo 838567D, as for the crank sensor its just beneath and behind the fuel filter housing about 5cm to the left of the gear change linkage- hope your not going to tell me its the wrong one- i've undone it from the block - the end of the sensor is magnetised and looks similar to the one on the euro car parts site, thanks again

Old 15-08-16, 09:02 PM   #4

Yes it's a crank sensor but think it only controls the rev counter, could be wrong tho.

I've just bought a brand new valeo rad, it came with a plastic bung in the hole for the fan switch.
If yours hasn't got the fan switch fitted, then there should be the plug and wires somewhere.

I'll nip out and have a quick look at one of mine and see where they go.
Old 15-08-16, 09:09 PM   #5

Arh, does your car have aircon?

My Roland Garros does and doesn't have the fan switch where my other does (as in photo)
As I understand it, the fans come on constant when the AC is switched on, where the temp sender is I've no idea. :-(
Old 15-08-16, 09:22 PM   #6

On AC versions there should be a separate control box for the fans like the 406 had but cooling fan also had a sensor on the thermostat housing to tell the box it was hot.

There are many variations in the circuits though.
Old 15-08-16, 09:44 PM   #7
Inactive User

Default 806 fan switch

hi citrail thanks again for the help, yes ours does have aircon its an eden park. as i said i've took the complete fan housing out, all the wires go to a plastic housing with detachable lid at the top, 3 block connectors i think, these then go off to a loom under the n/s headlight- as far as i can see there are no other wires or sensors coming out of the rad. I've also heard that both fans come on when starting the engine but although the aircon is turned off the fan keeps running. this was causing difficulty with cold starting during winter, so i've pulled the aircon fuse disabling the fans. cold starting is now back to first turn of the key- its wierd tho as ecp does list radiator switch for both aircon/non aircon versions, but as i say with the fans and the air filter housing removed i can see all around the rad, unless i'm going blind there's no sign of any other wiring. I'd like to know what the sensor is with the number 17 stamped on it is for, its secured by 2 screws into the top of the cowling with the sensor end facing but not touching the rad
as for the crank sensor ecp has an offer on at the mo so its worth a punt to cure the hot starting prob
Old 15-08-16, 09:52 PM   #8
Inactive User

Default 806 rad fan switch

hi reliable 406, just seen your post. on our 806 thermostaat housing there are 2 coolant sensors i think, one has a blue housing the other brown, have never known why it has two, not sure if its worth replacing these, thanks for the advice
Old 15-08-16, 09:53 PM   #9

Try unplugging the sensor and then starting, my guess is the rev counter wont work.
Old 15-08-16, 09:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightfist9 View Post
hi reliable 406, just seen your post. on our 806 thermostaat housing there are 2 coolant sensors i think, one has a blue housing the other brown, have never known why it has two, not sure if its worth replacing these, thanks for the advice
Think these are for the temp gauge on the dash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in