806 hdi glow plugs. - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > MPVs > 806/807
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-03-13, 05:20 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 806 hdi glow plugs.

Hi all, newbie to the site. I have a 51 plate 2.0 litre hdi which i have had for 15 months and apart from a new rear exhaust its not cost me a penny. Recently the first start in the morning is getting harder and harder and smokier and smokier, it never fails to start but people in the street have started taking there washing in when i go to start it. Not being a mechanic but have been driving for 25 years I thought glow plugs...........Can anyone shed some light on how hard a job they are to change and where in the engine they are cos I have tried everything I know on the web and cant find anything out. Thanks for any help received.
dkmcn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-03-13, 06:15 PM   #2

Being an 806 it could be 8 valve or 16 valve

8 valve easy to change 16 valve not easy to change

Regardless the glowplugs are not likely to be the problem what colour is the smoke does it clear quickly once started ?
reliable406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-03-13, 06:48 PM   #3
Inactive User

Thanks for the reply, I think the car is a 16 valve, is there any easy way to check? The smoke is a whitey grey colour which clears quite quickly, the engine tick over is quite lumpy for the first 10 seconds then settles down and drives smoothly after that, it's always the first morning start

Old 16-03-13, 07:07 PM   #4

16 valve has rhw in chassis number 8 valve is rhy or rhz

You say its cost you nothing in 15 months i would fit a fuel and air filter first

on the 16 valve engine the plugs are hidden down the back of the head and are best left there

There is a plug next to the air filter case/vacum pump area with 2 heavy gauge wires these are the feeds each wire feeds 2 plugs although some seem to have only 1 feed

seperate the plug and feed 12 volts to each wire going into the rear of engine this will tell you if they are working or not but only each pair not every one if it sparks the plugs are drawing current

From your description glow plugs MIGHT help but it would be a lot of work to find it does not !
Old 16-03-13, 07:31 PM   #5
Inactive User

Thanks again, it's definitely a 16 valve engine, I did change the air/fuel filter about 6 months ago. Since this started there has also been what I can only describe as a overrun fan type noise which starts a few minutes into a journey and carries on for a few minutes after switch off, there is also bluish smoke coming from a down pipe just ahead of the o/s/f wheel, is this a concern or could it be linked, do you know?
Old 16-03-13, 08:11 PM   #6

That will be your auxiliary heater it is mounted behind drivers headlight and runs in cold weather you can disconnect it

You temperature sensor in your thermostat housing might be seeing the wrong reading thinking the engine is colder than it realy is it is green and in the housing on the side of the head under the air filter case but it might be wiring rather than the sensor
Old 17-03-13, 09:53 AM   #7
Inactive User

thanks for your help, will have a look at that later today, will keep you posted.
Old 12-05-13, 07:59 AM   #8
Inactive User

Problem solved, was all down to a broken injector seal, now sorted and running ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in