806 glow plug relay problem - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > MPVs > 806/807
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-04-18, 09:49 PM   #1

Question 806 glow plug relay problem

Hi all

My 1999 Xud 1.9 TD does not fire up on turning starter over. It's a good battery and the starter turns over healthily. However there was no usual 'click' sound from the glow plug relay when turning the ignition on. I called out the AA who checked the relay with ignition both on and off, and he said the problem was no earth -ve to no. 1 wire thus no power to the glow plugs. There was power +ve to no. 3 wire. I have a spare relay and connected this one up but still no power to glow plugs.

At the moment I have improvised by making a connection between the two terminals (-ve to +ve) on the underside of the relay for 10 seconds or so, turn over the engine, and the engine fires up. I then disconnect the connection. When running the engine is much noisier (knocking) than normal. It quietens down when up to running temp but still noisy.

I presume he is correct in his diagnosis. Is this a faulty earth connection or something else? Do I need to clean the -ve earth connection somewhere? Any help will be much appreciated.
Many thanks for any advice.

Andrew

Last edited by andrewl; 13-04-18 at 10:02 PM.
andrewl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-04-18, 12:23 PM   #2

If you have tried 2 relays then chances are it is wiring that is the issue

There are only about 5 wires apart from the main plug feeds

1 is live with ignition
1 is earth
1 goes to the temp sensor to vary the time it works for depending on temp of engine
1 goes to starter trigger so the relay works while cranking
1 goes to dash to light the light

Its pretty simple if it is a broken earth you could just add a new one in
Old 14-04-18, 04:42 PM   #3

Thanks Reliable406

What is involved in adding a new earth wire? Will it connect from the relay earth running in the loom and onto the body or the engine? (strange that the earth wire runs in the loom). With a new earth will the knocking noise disappear?

My delay in replying was due to me checking the flywheel sensor which seems ok..

Cheers

Old 15-04-18, 08:05 AM   #4

Find the engine coolant sensor I think itís on the end of cylinder head ,pull the plug off the sensor ,the open circuit will put a very cold default value in place for the glow relay ( -30 or so )

If the coolant sensor had gone short to ground or shorted in some way that will put a hot reading in place for the relay and so the earth pathway to the relay will not be present .
mechcanico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-04-18, 01:36 PM   #5

Thanks for advice mechanico

I pulled the plug off the sensor that I think is located between the thermostat and engine block (could not see one on end of engine block) and turned over the engine but it did not fire up - I trust that is what I was meant to do. I have a spare 806 that I raid for parts so I did a sensor swap. Still no start up.

If no further advice is received from forum members then next weekend I will try to make a connection between the earth wire from the glow plug relay to the 806 body.

Thanks
Old 15-04-18, 03:13 PM   #6

Sorry I’ve miss read this a bit , the earth at the relay is just a permanent one is it ? ? If it is ...yes you could just add your own , would be interesting to see in a diagram where that earth goes to for further Diag

Last edited by mechcanico; 15-04-18 at 03:35 PM.
mechcanico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-04-18, 03:35 PM   #7

The earth is a permanent one, I think. The man from AA diagnosed that when ignition is switched on a circuit is not being created to heat up the glow plugs. There was +ve feed when switched on but no earth to complete the circuit.
What I find strange is that everything else functions which I would not expect if there is a faulty earth connection. Maybe the wire has failed rather than the body/engine earth connection.

Would you know why there is a loud diesel knock noise since the starting problem? The noise eases off when engine upto temperature although the noise comes back when accelerating.

It would be good to see a wiring diagram.
Old 15-04-18, 03:47 PM   #8

screen-shot-04-15-18-04-41-.jpg
screen-shot-04-15-18-04-45-.jpg
screen-shot-04-15-18-04-42-.jpg
Old 15-04-18, 04:02 PM   #9

Thanks Terry57

Seems like the earth is permanent. To make sure I break into the correct cable (earth) from the relay 5 pin connector (only 4 pins are used I have seen) would you know the colour of the earth (-ve) cable?
Old 15-04-18, 04:05 PM   #10

peugeot dont really go by colours
its the number you need to look for..
the earth on that diagram is wire number M105
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in