2005 - DW10 - engine stops - cools - drives again - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > MPVs > 806/807
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-17, 07:15 PM   #1

Cool 2005 - DW10 - engine stops - cools - drives again

Peugeot 807 Automatic - 2005 - 2.0L Diesel 109Hp - every periodic service done - 120'000 km - top condition.

I have bought this car: with a known problem. It suddenly stops. You wait a while, then it starts and runs perfect again. It can happen more times a day, or only once a month. The "brain" has been exchanged, and also the fuse-boks.

Questien here is; what could the reason for the stop be??

Any competent guess as to what the course of this fault could be????

Last edited by Todynor; 13-07-17 at 06:08 AM.
Todynor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-17, 07:30 PM   #2

It needs a diagnostic to help narrow down or even locate the real fault. It's pointless throwing parts at it unless you know the parts are really faulty.

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...members-83170/

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...gnostic-28190/

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...01/#post459593

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-17, 07:36 PM   #3

Something electrical is getting hot and the connection breaks till it cools down people always blame the ecu and as usual its not

A common issue is the feed wires to the tank pump the plug connections rot internally and connection is lost when they heat up sometimes the wires break at plug entry point.

various earths can be the problem crank sensor could be problem or wiring to it

Basically its most likely wiring related best thing to do is next time it cuts out looking at live data see what signals are missing this will help narrow the search.

Old 12-07-17, 08:29 PM   #4

Thank you for a quick reply.

I assume that the Peugeot repear-shop that changed the ECU (which is also the main importer of both Peugeot and Mercedes), would have said so if there was any diagnostic result to read.

As far as I know, the cars stops, with no fault shown in any diagnostic...

Last edited by Todynor; 13-07-17 at 06:14 AM.
Old 12-07-17, 08:35 PM   #5

To reliable; I'm new here and your answer came while me writing to Storeman. I need to get used to this, sorry!
Old 12-07-17, 09:18 PM   #6

Just so we are clear here not ALL dealers are good at diagnostics electrical faults like i described will NOT always show any obvious fault in diagnostics as the computer does not talk to every part of the car.

Their diagnosis of replace the ecu was a standard dealer fix we dont really know so we will just replace parts in the hope of curing the fault sort of thing.

ECUs Rarely BREAK

Wiring on the other hand regularly breaks !!
Old 12-07-17, 09:20 PM   #7

it's possible that the garage has cleared the fault and not told you?. sometimes a car comes in and numerous faults show up so its common practice to clear them and wait until it does it again then read it again a,s,a,p.
salster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-17, 09:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todynor View Post
Thank you for a quick reply.

I assume, and strongly hope, that the Peugeot repear-shop that changed the "brain" (which is also the main importer of both Peugeot and Mercedes), would have reacted IF there was any diagnostic result at all in this case; which in such case would have pointed those working on this issue in the right direction....

If so, if there was any diagnostic-help, if there was any fault-code or result from any diagniostic tool, there would be no reason to wonder, no??

The cars stops, with no fault shown in any diagnostic... that was the real point of this question. If a diagnostic would have given answers or results, why would I post this question?
As I replied in the PM, responses are only as good as the information given. While you said the ECU and fusebox have been replaced you conveniently forgot to mention who changed them and that a diagnostic had already been carried out with no faults logged. You also don't say which diagnostic machine was used. A lot of diagnostics don't work well with Peugeots. The only one guaranteed to work with Peugeot is the Peugeot system.

As you succinctly put in your response - why would I have bothered to suggest a diagnostic is done had I known it had already shown nothing - SIMPLE - you didn't bother to give that information. Perhaps you should sort out the info you give to the forum before complaining about the forum members who offer assistance.

Had I read the responses to this thread prior to the PM you sent I wouldn't have bothered responding in a PM reply but would have simply answered each of your point in the PM publicly in this response.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13-07-17, 10:51 AM   #9

I am sorry if my post was offending, this was not my intension. Seems I am a bit confused with the notions here also, it's the first time I posted anything on any forum. I'm checking my PM - "Private Messages in Folder: Inbox" , and it says 0 messages. Well, I guess I will find out of this as time goes.

When it comes to my original question, I tried to make it short, and I do not have the complete history, and also I am not a mechanic. However, the answers given already has helped, because now I know some questions to ask the dealer.

The situation and the case is like this:
- We are a big family, I have some collectors cars (Mercedes and BMW youngtimers). Earlier we had a 2003, 136Hp petrol, Peugeot 807, 140k km on the tacho. We had it for like six years. Too many problems so we sold it cheap in the end, earlier this year. The problems was not only the car's fault, but there were also quality issues. This car costed us a lot of money...

- But, we liked the driving experience and the space of the Peugeot alot, and it's relatively cheap now compared to other options like WW or MB Vito/Viano, Crysler etc., and we need many seats, but we are afraid of excessive costs of repair and spare parts. Most used cars offered, I have followed the marked for like a year, are not in the best condition, often with a big number on the tacho (above 200k km).

- A no-brand regular used car seller got the car a while ago with this know fault on it. They gambled the issue could be the fuse-box, they changed it and everything seemed to be ok. I do not know, but I will find out, if they hooked the car up to diagnostic-equipment. I do not think so, because the dealer (and the car) was far away from the Peugeot-garage. He then sold the car, it was in very good shape, but after a month the new owner complained. It stopped, again.

- The first measure the seller took was just trying changing the ECU (the ‘brain’ as I called it..). The new owner and the car was a bit far away from the seller, so they agreed the buyer should take the car to his local brand-dealership, the importer, a big city-dealership, they have all possible equipment necessary, just to install and program a new ECU. They wanted to avoid costs of analyzing the issue, I assume.

- The car was now fine again, until next time it stopped…. When that happened the seller took the car back, and paid the buyer his money.

- The dealer now wants to just get rid of it, inclusive the issue, for a low price. He has lowered the price with 3’500 US-$. And I am planning to buy it, hoping I could get some ideas what to do next, if ever. That is, without having to go to expensive brand-representatives; who’s charging horrendous prices. At least, if I really need to be going there, I must be really clear as to what to ask for.

- So, I have not even seen the car myself, only photos. (I would please avoid speculations here; I have no suspicions what so ever to anyone, all information regarding this is open and honest). The car really has all the equipment I need, services are done, it’s a one owners car, low milage, everything works, it’s really clean, except it stops…

- In order to decide whether or not to buy it, I thought to get all kind of ideas, brainstorme, the topic so that I a)can decide whether to buy and b)decide what to do next when I get it.

- Now I just investigated further, the brand-dealer who took the car in while selling a new one, they did do diagnoses! “All lamps was lit” - the cars stops and the computer said something like “wrong air-amount….”. What I also have found out is that another garage, not a branded-garage, also checked it lately on their own diagnoses-tool. They found “periodic fault on the solenoid to the EGR”.

- The question I ask myself, is why someone decided to change ECU and fuse-box, but that’s not my concern, my concern now is more, what likely needs to be done, and if the work and parts involved are costly affairs.

Upppps…. Got maybe too long this.. Hope its ok
Old 13-07-17, 03:24 PM   #10

It's pointless you buying the car if are not willing to try and diagnose the fault yourself. As said the actual fault is likely to be poor wiring which will cost next to nothing to fix but the time spent finding where it is by a garage will easily exceed the cost of the car. Ideally you need Planet on a laptop so you can trace the fault when it stops and then tell the garage so they have some clues as to the location/component.
wynb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in