2.0 HDI (JTD) non-start - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > MPVs > 806/807
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-12, 03:54 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 2.0 HDI (JTD) non-start

Originally posted in FiatForum, but response is weak and since it's Peugoet's engine...here goes.

ME>
Hi,
Went out to the 'bus' the other week and wouldn't start, just cranks over, with no glow plug light on at all, was hoping the compression would ignite, but it's still too ruddy cold here. Engine has done 100k ('04 MK2 2.0JTD)
Thinking the relay had fried, changed over with no effect. Have the wiring diagrams for the components but it's not very clear on what wires do what on the relay, checked the largest gauge wire going in thinking it should be the main, however only got 3.5v from it?? (give or take). Anyone got any further ideas? thought if glow plugs had fried, then light would still come on, and stay on.
Fuel is being primed into the filter ok enough and dash is bleeping at me once I remove the key after failed attempt. Would take it to peugoet to have the ODB2 read (since it's their engine) but can't get it there.
Further to that had intermittent 'limp mode' issues prior and intermittent 'anti pollution' fault, but I put this down to damaged Air Mass Sensor and leaking fuel filter housing, which since been repaired whilst off the road.

REPLY>
Might be worth buying a fault code reader (do you have a laptop/computer)

Do a Google search fro Lexia3.

You can buy them on ebay for about 100, use it and then sell it on when your finished, cheaper than getting it checked by the dealer which you can't do anyway.

The Peugeot forum have a map of members who own a Lexia and are happy to check codes for other members, It might be worth joining that forum as the Ulysse is essentially the same a the 807, (think the closest member to you is in Ashington)

I had a similar problem recently but it turned out that my timing was out slightly after a cambelt change.

Even now the Glow plug light on the dash only comes on sometimes but she still fires up.

ME>
Ok can't really get quick access to code reader. Will check the status of the chain later on, was going to remove the glow plugs and test/replace them, but I can't even figure out how to remove the plastic power feed that's on top of them.
I've got a can of easy start which I may try first, if that fails, then it's a good chance the chain has gone, in which case I'll be looking for some head - sorry, a head.

Still, no plug light is curious though - ever hopeful!
Oh, sorted +12v feed to relay, but it still no go!

ME>(again)
:update

Tried 'Easystart' and it did fire up (though it sounded like a combine harvester) then immediately cut out with or without changes on throttle position.
So....I know the chain is still intact, what else? is there a fuel cut off? I know the rear pump is working ok as it primed the filter housing easy enough. Could it be an immobiliser issue and if so, how can I test, reset or disable this.

Enjoy the read and any help/advice would be appreciated.
C Unit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-12, 08:31 AM   #2

I live near Ashington, and have PP. I don't know whether it will read faults on a Fiat even if it has a Peugeot engine. I am sure someone on here will advise. Let me know if you want me to come and give it a try.
Malcolm.
malgpz900 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-12, 08:38 AM   #3
JazzJPH

Could it not be the immobiliser if it cranks but doesn't start?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-12, 08:42 AM   #4
Inactive User

Glow plugs only work at -5 i think anything above that say -1 they are not needed.

It could be faulty temp sensor if its saying engine is warm be wrong mixture at start up as it tells ecu what to do.

Last edited by nige65; 11-03-12 at 08:45 AM.
nige65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-12, 09:38 AM   #5

Does it have a Fap filter could be blocked ,

the Cat could be blocked ,

crankshaft wire could be broke ,

a bad earth ,

could go on

The right thing to have done was get it on to a diagnostics when it was going into limp mode prior to this , leaving it was abit like standing in a field with a Bull and closing your eye`s
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-12, 09:44 AM   #6
Inactive User

Martin he sorted the limp mode out but your right no good stabbing in the dark need codes could be upteen things need doing .
nige65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-12, 09:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nige65 View Post
Martin he sorted the limp mode out but your right no good stabbing in the dark need codes could be upteen things need doing .
Further to that had intermittent 'limp mode' issues prior and intermittent 'anti pollution' fault, but I put this down to damaged Air Mass Sensor and leaking fuel filter housing, which since been repaired whilst off the road.

Doesn`t say sorted , just thought it was something and replaced it and hasn`t tried it since , is what it looks like too me
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-12, 12:30 PM   #8
Inactive User

Yeah 'limp' mode was intermittent, but could be.... although I thought a blocked FAP filter displayed a unique warning on the display. Only thing that's displayed is 'economy mode active' but this is due to the previous battery being weak, been changed, but I know error won't clear itself until engine is running.
If it is the FAP, I'll remove and do the bucket of soapy water and pressure hose method.

Have ordered code reader, I'll list the codes when that arrives, in any case I'll be able to sell it on.

I'll check the condition of the crank sensor today and where abouts is the temp sensor mounted? but I'm not going to purchase any more parts until I have the readout.

Thanks for the input.

Just curious, using EasyStart wouldn't turn the engine over if the belt had gone would it? even if it was only for 5 seconds....

Update: Well no panic with the timing belt, it seems ok and is in fairly decent nick.
Found another hairline crack in a 10A fuse which what seems to be in the same area as the last one and there is 'un poco' evidence of water ingress, stripped, cleaned up, wd40'd. still, no joy, cranks ok, but no fire.
Also found the mid section of exhaust has sheared at the joining bracket of the backbox. Followed the path of the exhaust from back to front but could not see anything resembling the FAP filter, had backbox, mid silencer, cat then pipe disappears up into engine bay - is it up in the engine bay?

Last edited by C Unit; 11-03-12 at 11:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 13-03-12, 12:26 PM   #9
Inactive User

Default Error Codes

Ok,
Results from the Vgate (or Vtech) this morning;

P0004 Fuel Regulation Control Circuit High
P0005 Fuel Shutoff Valve A Control Circuit / Open
P0006 Fuel Shutoff Valve A Control Circuit Low

Note:- these are the only codes stored whilst it's unable to start, no doubt there be more, but I know dude from garage cleared them before he noted what they were - plank!

So.......yer thoughts?
Old 25-04-12, 01:42 PM   #10
Inactive User

Default 806 HDi non-starter

I had same problem, non starting but, it would start with a prolonged squirt of quick start into the air intake. The problem was the primary fuel pump in the tank, which was working and delivering fuel up into the engine, but with insufficient pressure. Replaced this (200) and problem solved. To replace you've got to empty the tank and remove it from the vehicle - all underneath work, so a bit unpleasant, but do-able. Also doing up the large black plastic ring which secures the pump to the top of the tank is difficult. You really need a proper massive 'O' spanner to do this.

Incidentally, mine was about 95K miles when this happened.

Last edited by VerSk; 26-04-12 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Addition
VerSk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in