Peugeot Forums banner

Best oil for 2.0 HDI

82K views 57 replies 16 participants last post by  monty9120 
#1 ·
Hi
Just bought a 2.0HDI 407 and intend to oil change myself every 4000 miles
as want to look after it and keep for a few years.
Whats the best oil for this engine?
Thanks
Andy

G
#2 · (Edited)
4000 miles is pretty excessive compared to Peugeot recommended interval of 20k.
5W30 fully synthetic for this engine (thats what mine has anyway).... be sure to get the right make that is suitable for use with the DPF (assuming yours still has it fitted) - I bought Mobil 1 ESP the other day to top mine up.... its rather expensive compared to oil I've used in other cars previously

G
#4 ·
Diesel Particulate Filter
Do a search on here, or Google, and you will see what it does... it basically collects any particulate in the exhaust and prevents it from being released to atmosphere. Wrong oil can cause premature blocking of this filter. Its quite a complicated system, with many components to the overall system, and large repair bills if it goes wrong.
A lot of people will say it causes no end of grief on these engines, and probably true for some, but not all of us.

#6 ·
Hi captac,

if you read a bit thru forums you will see that many people opt to take out their dpf's, and in addition to that, there are engines with no dpf by default. :)

as for replacing oil every 4000 miles, i agree with jm, that is rather excessive. that is nothing more than just a bad marketing meant to get drivers to replace oil more often. i've seen people go literaly 5 years without doing it with no adverse effect. but then again, its your money, your car, do what you want. :) we are just trying to save you the trouble. if you do a search on that, you will find in studies they never established a reason why so should be done. also there is that long story about the saturn s series that would have its timing chain or something something kajigger knackered if oil was not changed every 3k miles.

but then again, this is not saturn s series forum so i guess you wont have that problem :thumb:

G
#20 · (Edited)
You don't want to go putting that into it :nono:

i used total ineo ecs 5w30, says on the back its for cars with dpf. could that be a reson for dpf to get plugged, wrong oil? so far, mine runs like a clock. :)
Wrong oil will potentially lead to blocking the DPF.... ash content and the like :thumb:
I topped mine up with the Mobil 1 ESP 5/30 oil a couple of weeks back.... run sweet ever since :nod:

#22 ·
I'm confused! I have a 407SW with DPF.

In my service manual it states synthetic oil 5w 40. I also saw the deal at Halfords for the 5w 30 magnatec. I went onto Castrol site and they state 5w 40 as being the correct oil for my car.

They then offer alternative's on the Castrol site and base this on the outside operating temperatures the car is going to be used in. 5w 30 (the halfords deal) apparently is ok for temperatures up to 25 degrees C. Not often we are lucky to get that, but we do get it.

So do I spend £35 on 2 lots of this deal or spend a small fortune and get the 5w40?

I'm tight and think I know the answer.... :rolleyes:

I just wondered if I could use the 5w 30 now during winter, or is there a reason this oil isn't suitable for the engine??

Any help much appreciated...

:confused:

G
#23 · (Edited)
Peugeot put Castrol C2 5W30 in mine when I had it serviced last year. I have since topped up with Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 as it was the only one in the shop that was suitable for the DPF. You need to make sure its an oil (C2) that is suitable for use for diesels with DPF - Castrol Magnatec is not for these cars - it may still be 5W30, but there are a lot of other things to take into consideration - petrol or diesel for starters.

Even that Castrol Diesel 5W40 doesn't mention being suitable for DPFs, and if you use the Halfords site (who sell all these oils) even that doesn't show the Castrol 5W40 as the recommended oil - it shows the Mobil 1 oil.

The recommended/suitable oils are listed further up this thread.

You will be far better off financially buying a better oil now than running the risk of blocking that filter.

#24 ·
Thanks for your reply :)

I kind of thought that would be the case, I am just after topping up the levels really, but thought with the 'cheap' price of the magnatec, I would do an interim oil change between to 20k service schedule. The DPF was replaced earlier this year by the previous owner so I don't fancy doing any damage.

I will fork out for the right oil!!!

Any suggestions on a cheap place to get it anybody??

#26 ·
Recomended Min oils are From service guide are Below. 0w30 will give better protection at cold temp where as 10w40 will give better protection at high temp. Synthetic where budget allows. Most Semi /fully syn are CG or higher rated now. After that the choice is yours
If you are going to change at 6K the Min standard is fine

For vehicles which have a service interval of 15000 km or
10000 miles (Diesel engine(s)) ; For vehicles which have a
service interval of 20000 km or 12000 miles (Diesel engine
with direct injection HDI) : Only use the recommended oils
ACEA-A3 or any other oil which has the same characteristics.
If the recommended oils or their equivalent are not used,
other oils of a lower grade may be used; however, the use of
lower grade oils imposes special service intervals :
10000 km (6000 miles) (Diesel engine(s))
15000 km (10000 miles) (Diesel engine with direct injection
HDI)
N.B. : The recommended oils have characteristics which are
superior to those defined in standards ACEA-B3.
Example : ULTRON 5W40 CF B3 :
Type in the marque : ULTRON
Grade : 5W40
Standard API : CF
Standard ACEA : B3

ULTRA DIESEL 10W40 CF B3
ULTRON DIESEL 5W40 CF B3

#27 ·
Thanks for all the advice... :)

The Mobil 1 ESP is a good price, I had ordered some oil just before you posted.

I have just ordered Total Quartz INEO ECS 5w40 5 litres from Amazon. Not sure if I could have got it cheaper locally, but it sounded a good deal and saves a lot of hassle phoning around locally.

It was under £30 delivered, I checked on Total's website and that was the recommended oil for the car.

Glad I asked though as I was all set to collect the Magnatec tomorrow from Halfords.... :nono:

G
#37 ·
This bit "6L014611" looks the bit thats wrong..... shouldn't have the L in it, but a number instead. The number posted definitely doesn't work with servicebox :nono:

10DYTJ4146252 this looks like the engine number

#39 ·
0w40 Mobil 1 standard turbo diesel oil every 12K in my 03 2.0 110 HDI 307. (£30 for 5Ltrs in Costco)

The owner manual does not say anything about C2/3 (possibly did not exist then).

Now have 193K on the clock and burns no oil and still on original DPF which has just been back flushed with a pressure washer at around 80K and 170K when the DPF fluid was refilled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.