Peugeot Forums banner

Auto wiper setting on stalk seems to be just intermittent

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  leo_407 
#1 ·
Hi,

quick first question. We have just got a 55 plate 407 HDI SW and the wiper stalk has an auto setting and there seem to be two sensors in front of the drivers mirror (need to look more closely at one of them as I'm not sure if it is factory fit or not).

The trouble is that when I select Auto, firstly there isn't a display on the dash or centre console and secondly the wipers go straight into intermittent.

We don't know the original spec of our car but the manual implies that if there is an auto setting, it should have an auto function. Or is this not the case?

thanks.

G
#3 ·
Mine tells me when wipers in auto but only when turned on and just for a second or two.

with engine running press wiper stalk down this is single sweep.
stalk goes to rest position
push up once for auto
push up again for on all time

screen may need a clean if wipers running constantly in auto and no rain

also for changing blade or holding sheet on screen to keep frost off after switching engine off press down for single sweep and blades park against posts.

#4 ·
On your dial panels there is a " check" button. With the car running press that once and it will show you in the display on the dash what is turned on or off. Auto wiper, lights etc
Can't recall now if it's the left hand or right hand button beneath the dials though lol! It does say check near it though.
The sensors are indeed where you think, I tested mine by turning them to auto and then splashing the screen with water, the more water on the screen the faster they will go....so it can appear they are intermittent if there is not much water on the screen.

G
#5 ·
The Auto feature is instead of the 'old' intermittent. They will be intermittent, varying the time interval depending on how much its raining, up to the point where the interval is small enough that they are on constantly.

#6 ·
Guys, thank you ever so much for the replies and sorry to take so long to reply.

Between now and my original post we have had to move house and jobs and now live 400 miles away up near Peebles in the Scottish Borders... so things have been a little hectic.

I will though re-read the replies and double check. I have asked my wife if she has noticed varying wiper speeds depending on rain intensity but she just looked blank. I would obviously have a better response if I the sentence included the words "shoes" or "pretty dress".

Thanks,

Heds

#7 ·
Hello and welcome to Scotland,
The Auto operation is fairly obvious - the wipers do their own thing. Sometimes faster, sometimes delay wipe, sometimes normal. I hardly ever use any other setting apart from "off". I've only had my 2.0 HDI SW for a few months so not sussed the variations - does your car have the automatic fold-back mirrors ?
My car has the Hortaz shoes and looks pretty in its white gold dress...

Kind regards, Leo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.