Peugeot Forums banner

Paint code

37K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  mark845 
#1 ·
How do find it out for my 407 please folks?

#2 ·
apparently its a four letter code on the sticker with the tyre pressures on !!! so says google anyway

#4 ·
i looked at that but couldnt see/find the 407, is it there ??

#5 · (Edited)
Trem , the paint code is 3 letters but you discount the last letter on the 4 letter code on the plate (if that makes sense lol) ie EZWD = D denotes pearlescent lacquer EZW is code

I put the link up so the guy can at least see what it should be. So if its silver he should see EYC on his sticker etc

Now im confused hahahaha

G
#11 ·
I've always been under the impression mine was called Moonstone (as per the link posted above), yet when looking on service box, the same paint code EYL is called Iceland Grey :confused:
Has anyone got an Iceland Grey, 'cos mine don't look like it :D

#16 ·
#15 · (Edited)
I have a few scratches and used rubbing compound with microfibre cloth and some went away. If the scratch goes deeper than the compound will cope with try a trip to a vehicle paint supplier who will match your paint with paint code, check colour fobs against your car paint and supply a method of application, either touch up bottle with a brush or aerosol. Body shop wanted to respray the panel for £500. The miracle scratch repair kits performance i found disappointing and didn't match up to their cost.

#18 ·
The halfords kits are pretty dire tbh - I spend time at least a couple of times a week doing paint for a customer who's already bought the halfords one and weren't happy. The biggest problem with all of these touch up kits is a really simple one - when the paint gets pushed thru an air-powered spraygun, the air pressure brightens the paint by making it layer more smoothly - so while you only put one coat on at a time, the effect of the air is that its dusting over and over again - 9 times out of 10, especially with metallic or pearl colours, the touchups look too dark because of this lack of layering when you brush a "splodge" on at once. You're probably better off with abrasive coloured polishes than trying paint based touch up kits if you want it to look better.

At the same time, take the above with a pinch of salt - I mix car paint for bodyshop use and the demand for a very good match means something I consider a poor match would probably be accepted by a lot of people as "good enough".

Personally, I'd never use a touch up kit, but I have access to bodyshops, friends in the trade, and a pile of air powered tools and painting gear at home so I'm a LONG way from impartial.

#20 · (Edited)
Noticed a few scratches in the rare sunlight yesterday which got me thinking Trem. The abrasive colour polish mentioned sounds like my route. Once you start getting new paint onto old you need to be good to hide it. Not like fully spraying a panel. I like the polish option but can it be made to a paint code like paint is? What do you say Colin? I have tried cutting paste in the past which has been ok on some scratches but others need something better.

#21 · (Edited)
As a general rule of thumb, run your fingernail across (not along) the scratch - if there's a real "click" the chances are your scratch is too deep for cutting compound alone. If you can barely feel it or not feel it at all, then the cutting compound will almost definitely get rid of it completely.

I personally use Farecla G3 but it's naughty stuff - use it too long or too often and you will take off the lacquer completely and then a professional spray job is the only solution.

As for getting polish made to code, the answer there is no - but you can get them in a close colour - eg, black, red, blue etc. It's usually T-cut branded stuff and close enough tends to be close enough. If in doubt between two colours (eg Trem might be 50/50 between blue and silver with the EYL - which happens to be the colour of my 306 so I know it well), go with the lighter one - having said that I don't know if there is a silver available... Might have to check that.

Ignore anyone's attempt to sell you a custom cloth for the job - if you really want to buy something new, get an el-cheapo microfibre cloth from asda or the pound shop - or use an old t-shirt (ideally all cotton - polyester can cause all new scratches).

If you're feeling brave, and I stress you do this one COMPLETELY at your own risk - you can always give scratches a rub down with superfine wet n dry sandpaper - 1500 is the absolute coarsest you want - better off with 2000 - 2500 or higher you'll be there forever - make sure you use it wet (doesn't have to be soaking - literally a gob of spit on the paper is enough just to give it some lubrication. You'll end up with a cloudy area which you then take the polish to and when you've polished away the cloud, hopefully the scratch will be gone too.

There's also a final option - go to a small "backstreet" bodyshop and offer the guy a few quid to run a machine polisher over the couple of marks - if you want a full machine polish you'd be looking at laying out more money but most of them would probably do a couple mins on a couple scratches for a pint or two. I have have a small air powered 3" polisher which does a cracking job but at £80 for the polisher, plus £200+ for a compressor powerful enough to run it, it's not realistic for the average joe.

#22 · (Edited)
Thanks for that Colin it's what I needed to hear, I could try some silver t-cut on a hidden scratch for a trial if its about, If not the nearest lighter shade might work.
PS just found t-cut colour fast scratch remover in silver. Colour blends with all shades of silver hmm, wonder if that might help, its £5 a tube in ASDA??

#23 ·
T-Cut Color Fast Scratch Remover Range

T-Cut Color Fast Scratch Remover (patent pending formula) removes scratches, scuffs, blemishes, and adds colour in one easy application. T-Cut is enhanced by nanotechnology, making it easier to remove light scratches and mask, deeper scratches. The coloured pigments blend in with all shades of paintwork, cleaning and removing oxidation, creating a flawless colour-matched finish.

Available in Original, Black, White, Silver, Red, Blue and Green.
Looks like you can get it in silver....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.