Peugeot Forums banner

Shell V-Power Diesel...Is it worth it?

10K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Davidoneill27 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

My 308 1.6 110 HDI Sport is trouble free with 45,000 miles on the clock, according to the trip computer I'm averaging 52.2 mpg....so all is well :). But I'm just wondering if anyone has tried Shell V-Power Diesel?

Most of the comments I've read seem to be negative, some actually reporting slightly less mpg!! Apparently it’s designed to actively clean your engine and protect vital engine parts to help deliver more powerful performance and improve fuel economy by reducing energy loss. Correct me if I'm wrong, to get value for money from this expensive fuel your car needs to be suited to it, maybe that's why there's so many conflicting reports on it!

So my question is....Is it worth the extra expense and is my car going to benefit from using it?

David

G
#2 ·
I've never used it.... the 6-8p/l increase is substantial, so would have to improve mpg significantly to even be cost neutral, let alone better off.

There was a test on tv comparing a range of cars from a small VW Polo up to a Mitsubishi Evo each on regular and V-power fuel.... and the conclusion was, as you said, unless the car is designed and tuned for the benefit, i.e. Evo, then there is no benefit to it at all.

#3 ·
a little off topic, but on a few occasions with an empty tank I've put in BP Ultimate and I swear the car felt more responsive (2.0Hdi 110). I did use V-power regularly in the past (so much so they sent me a red v-power points card with my name on it!! :thumb:) but didn't notice any improvement on economy, nor did I feel the same boost that BP ultimate gave! Placebo effect or other reports of this...?

#4 ·
without constantly using it i would sy you wouldnt notice a difference...but for the cost and car i wouldnt use it...if i had a skyline or similar then of course i would but im going to stick to fuelsave diesel myself....has the same additives but not as finely graded.

#13 ·
Thanks for all your replies, I've done some research on the Which Website. They came to the conclusion that there's no significant benefits when using these so called super fuels. Also after reading some of your other comments Chopper 1192....you seem to know your fuels. So I'm going to carry on using Tesco's and save up those Club Card points, even though they've halved the rewards!

Thanks again

Dave O'

#6 ·
I tried it once, and I'm more convinced that the better MPG was down to me driving more carfefully because of the cost!

That said I do sometimes buy Redex fuel treatment and this did seem cheaper than using that.

G
#7 ·
Question. How does the engine know what type of fuel it is taking in whether it be v-power or standard? It doesn't. For all the world it could be water!
I don't think there is any difference in different fuel types/specs, only they're price.
Rant over. These days of penny pinching alot of people don't care what they put into their cars as long as they go.

#8 ·
There is a difference - unlike 'normal' fuel -the souper brew is specific to each producer - so shell super brew is only sold in shell outlets.

The cetane (how easily the diesel ignites) is also higher in super brews -so you get easier start up and longer for the fuel to burn up in the cylinder - not a lot longer but enough to make a difference.

Millers increases the cetane of normal fuel - it turns it into souper fuel.

Is it worth the extra cash - no.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.