Lost key - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 508 > 508 (2018+)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-08-19, 06:48 PM   #1
es1

Hello,
Basically the key was lost, but the car was not locked, so you can start and drive it. Does the key have to be close (in car) for this to work or the key location doesnt matter at all and you can just stop and start the car as you wish?

Last edited by es1; 28-08-19 at 06:52 PM.
es1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-08-19, 08:41 AM   #2

If you have a keyless start car and you can start it the key is in the car its that simple !
Old 29-08-19, 08:52 AM   #3
es1

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
If you have a keyless start car and you can start it the key is in the car its that simple !
Hello, unfortunately its not that simple i don't think so.

Yesterday we went to gas station, in there we realized that we didn't have they keys. So we shut the car down just to see if it would start again (meaning that the keys would be somewhere close). The car started fine. Then we drove away from the spot and stopped in another one, just to do another check - it started. We drove back to our house and did another chech - it worked. Today it wont start. So the keys probably where not in the car to begin with and its possible to start and stop like that?

Old 29-08-19, 09:05 AM   #4

It shouldn't be, if the key's not in the car it shouldn't start - it hasn't dropped into a bag or in a pocket that has now been removed from the car has it ?
On the previous model if you got out of the car with the engine running it give a 'Key not present' warning which would clear on re-entry.
stevew71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-08-19, 09:07 AM   #5

Ok thats not what your first post suggested

What happens is this the car looks for the key when you press the start button if key is present IE in car it allows starting.

The immobiliser system STAYS unlocked for 30 seconds after turning off so your tests were flawed you would have to wait at least 30 seconds for car to lock out the key so your key is NOT in your car !
Old 29-08-19, 09:11 AM   #6
es1

Quote:
Ok thats not what your first post suggested

What happens is this the car looks for the key when you press the start button if key is present IE in car it allows starting.

The immobiliser system STAYS unlocked for 30 seconds after turning off so your tests were flawed you would have to wait at least 30 seconds for car to lock out the key so your key is NOT in your car !
i see thank you! this clears things up a bit at least!
Old 29-08-19, 09:17 AM   #7

Your key MUST have been near/in the car when you first started it though or it would not have started.
Old 29-08-19, 09:26 AM   #8
es1

Quote:
Your key MUST have been near/in the car when you first started it though or it would not have started.
Yes, i guess its possible that it fell out in the gas station as there where some grassy areas right where stepped out. Or it went into trashbin which is by now cleared already. Bad thing is that were far from home in some tiny Austrian village 🙂
Old 29-08-19, 09:50 AM   #9

I can tell you this much is going to cost a lot to get a key sorted out i would try to find it !
Old 29-08-19, 11:06 AM   #10

I enquired with my local Peugeot dealer about a spare keyless fob when I first got my 2013 SW. We were heading into the 200 - 250 region so I just decided I would be careful. I also got myself a day glow red silicon skin for 8 on ebay.
There are several available but the nicest one came all the way from Australia.
If I were you I'd walk round the house having loud conversations about going to the Peugeot dealer to get a new fob. Then the old fob will come out of hiding.
In my experience the car won't even start if the fob is in my leather jacket pocket in the boot, unless the seats are down that is. One further thing, if I put my jacket in the boot without unlocking the car I can't then open the car on the door handles. I have to get the fob out.

Last edited by PatrickNeame; 29-08-19 at 11:11 AM.
PatrickNeame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in