The end of my 508 journey... - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 508 > 508 (2011-18)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-19, 08:22 PM   #1

Default The end of my 508 journey...

Somebody pulled out in front of me yesterday and I crashed into him.

Despite the damage being light the car is very likely to be written off. It has not yet been assessed but I know how expensive parts are these days

I had taken it to 182000 miles and I am very sad that the journey has come to an abrupt end - the plan was to keep it for at least another 2 years.

I have had a quick look online but there are very few 508s for sale in the spec that I have gotten used to....looks like I will be heading elsewhere.

I will update this thread when the assessor puts on his black hat and tolls his bell.
Advertisement

Old 09-05-19, 07:09 AM   #2

Sorry to hear but fear not young man 508's with Taxi style mileage on the clock are more common than you'd think, if you can live with an Allure instead of a GT?
weedavemac likes this.
Old 09-05-19, 11:31 AM   #3

It is actually an Allure I have/had. And is the 163 HP with full auto-box.

However, it has some extra toys:- Full leather, Head-up-Display, Directional Headlamps, Pre-Heater, Motorised Tailgate - both up and down, Keyless Entry, JBL Upgrade Stereo.

I looked after it really really well. 14 stamps in the book, with recent timing kit. change etc etc. It has been a very good car.

And I used it as a taxi doing approx 50,000 miles a year.

A classic case of it being worth way more to me than to anyone else.

Anyway - such is life.

Old 09-05-19, 03:46 PM   #4

If it's written of could you buy it back, get another one & swop bits over?
weedavemac likes this.
Old 09-05-19, 03:58 PM   #5

Hello

Can you show us some pictures of the car?
Were airbags deployed?
How fast were you traveling when you hit other car that cut you off?

Would like to know how safe my car is.

Thanks
weedavemac likes this.
Old 09-05-19, 06:52 PM   #6

Happy to send you pictures if I can. I am the least techie person on the planet but could e-mail some to you if you like.

Reckon I was doing about 30mph but was trying to brake so might have got speed down a bit

Airbags not deployed.

No damage to either wing or to chassis legs/arms or to suspension and steering.

Somehow it felt strong on impact. Bumper/ bonnet/ grill/ front slam panel/ radiator/ took the impact. There is a tiny tiny crack on the front right headlamp which is a real shame.

Peugeot prices as follows (which will be the ones the insurance will use)
Bumper................. 681
Bonnet..................636
Grill.......................169
Radiator.................409
Headlamp..............2275......yes 2275..this includes bulbs, ballast and motor

I stopped at that point as no point in continuing. It will need a front slam panel, lowewr grill panel, maybe a condensor and other bits and bobs too.
Old 09-05-19, 07:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lee View Post
If it's written of could you buy it back, get another one & swop bits over?
Have actually been thinking along those lines...get it back off the insurance company, buy both new 'pattern parts' and 2nd hand parts and put it back on the road.

I have priced most of the parts I would need for 1250 total which in comparison to Peugeot prices seems pretty reasonable. The bumber and bonnet would need painted, and there would be labour too...but it can be done. There are bound to be parts damaged that I have not yet thought of so would need to allow for that.

I have contacted my licencing authority to see if they would allow a car to be put back on the road and used as a taxi after it has technically been written off.

All advice welcome.
Old 09-05-19, 09:30 PM   #8

Its a shame as its more than just a car its sounds like a partnership but maybe time to honor the ole gal and retire her bearing the mind the miles and what could go wrong in the future? Let nature take its course. I have had cars repaired in the past I could not part with and they never feel quite the same. Time for a new adventure!
weedavemac likes this.
Old 11-05-19, 07:41 AM   #9

I dread this sort of thing happening because, as you say, it's worth more to you (or me) than anyone else and therein lies the answer to your problem. Once you factor what you will almost certainly have to spend on top of the insurance pay out and the invisible cost of the process of finding a new car then I would suggest you have quite a bit of leeway before repairing your 508 becomes uneconomic to you.
If it helps I know a couple of people in Nottingham who would do a good repair job and wouldn't stitch you up with Peugeot parts prices. Also the days when you'd have to get the bits off a scrapper yourself are gone, so that's one less thing to concern you.
In the meantime, if someone rear ends my car perhaps we could have a deal!
weedavemac likes this.
PatrickNeame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-19, 07:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickNeame View Post
I dread this sort of thing happening because, as you say, it's worth more to you (or me) than anyone else and therein lies the answer to your problem. Once you factor what you will almost certainly have to spend on top of the insurance pay out and the invisible cost of the process of finding a new car then I would suggest you have quite a bit of leeway before repairing your 508 becomes uneconomic to you.
If it helps I know a couple of people in Nottingham who would do a good repair job and wouldn't stitch you up with Peugeot parts prices. Also the days when you'd have to get the bits off a scrapper yourself are gone, so that's one less thing to concern you.
In the meantime, if someone rear ends my car perhaps we could have a deal!
Thanks. I agree with everything you say. Have sourced pretty much all the parts (I think). My mechanic is pretty good and would happily let me help with the repairs.

The insurance company have not yet assessed the car. I know it will be written off - it all depends on what the offer is.

And I sincerely hope that no-one rear ends your car.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in