2017 sw 508 gt line opinions - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 508 > 508 (2011-18)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-19, 09:50 PM   #1

Default 2017 sw 508 gt line opinions

Hello, there just a quick post on to what current owners of 508 sw's have to say about the cars? As I will soon (hopefully) buying my first ever Peugeot and was wondering if there is anything I need to be aware of before I take the plunge into French car ownership? As it's either a 508 or a Passat for my next car but I definitely prefer the style of the 508 which is swaying me towards it.
Jayt1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-19, 10:02 PM   #2

Passats? They're ten a penny.
PatrickNeame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-19, 10:06 PM   #3

That's exactly why I'm very close to buying a 508for that reason they are much less common and much better looking. Its just the reliability that I'm not super sure about, yet I do know they have got a lot better.

Old 11-09-19, 08:46 AM   #4

I've had my 508sw for a little over a month now, so far so good. It's different from my previous car (Audi A6 Avant), better in some ways and worse in others but overall I'm very pleased with it. Not as economical as I had hoped but still a lot better than the Audi. Not had it long enough to know about reliability but modern cars are a lot more reliable than older ones and I'm not expecting any issues.
Inkblot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-19, 10:18 AM   #5

What ways would you say it's worse? I love the amount of spec you seen ti get for your money compared to VW's and audis. How do you find the boot space as this is my main reason of stepping up from a golf estate to a bigger one I need the extra load space
Old 11-09-19, 07:07 PM   #6

If you have any concerns about reliability... forget it.

My first car was a Peugeot 306 and people warned me they are unreliable. I figured 1300 for a 9 year old car isn't bad if it lasts me 6 months. Errm it didn't go wrong. In year 8 I had to replace a 300 fuel pump at 230k miles.
Even wear and tear wise, it was a ball joint and a wheel bearing for suspension.

I only really stopped driving it as I just felt unsafe in it, knowing even a major crash against a newer car would leave me quite injured.

So I reluctantly bought a 407 Coupe (predecessor to the 508). Again, lots of horror stories, ball joints that last 6 months, DPF that blocks up, BSI that corrupts, ECU that dies etc.
Errm, almost 3 years now, I haven't had a single issue with it, now sat on 163k.

The 508 is just a continuation of the 407 rather than a radical blank slate like the 2019 508 is. So most issues have been worked out in the 407 and any new gremlins found should have been ironed out well before your 2017 508 will have been produced.
BiGK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-19, 07:14 AM   #7

It's silly things - the doors open 50% or 100% whereas the Audi was 33%, 66% or 100% which made getting in and out in car parks a lot easier! Lack of storage space inside the car - Audi had drawers under the front seats, netting in the passenger footwell, a large glovebox and a 2 tier cubby between the seats. The Peugeot has bigger door pockets but very limited elsewhere. I found the satnav easier to use even though it was a 2006 car and the (very early) mmi system is simpler to use than the touchscreen. I'm sure a lot of it is familiarity and I will get used to it in time...but I'll always curse the doors when parking in the car park at work!
Inkblot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-19, 07:24 AM   #8

508 are great mid range cars, they are reliable cars too with great fuel economy too. Though the clutch goes at about 12k up and some less than that, these I believe are used for taxi and lot in town driving. But overall good car.

That said I have an issue with a 2013 508 GT Line I just got. All works fine but the gear does hard engagement when going into D you could hear the heavy and loud banging. This happened some times and will drive and change well afterwards.

Can anyone help or suggest idea on how to deal with this matter please.
Thanks in anticipation.
Kingella41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-19, 09:05 AM   #9

Yea that is one thing I do like about my golf is how the doors do stop open at any point so getting in and out of it is a lot easier than most cars. I'm starting to think it will just be down to personally preference now if I go for one or not, so appreciate everyone's in put! But I certainly hope the clutch doesn't go at 12k as that is ridiculous!
Old 12-09-19, 10:55 AM   #10

On the whole I'd endorse what others have said about reliability. My 2002 406 was fantastic and only died because the mechanic who did the cambelt hadn't done up the tensioner properly. 3000 miles later it came off. By way of comparison the 406 was on 243000 miles whereas the 2000 Mercedes C class I had before succumbed to the Mercedes Black Death at 175000. The 406 was better in every respect save that the Mercedes had one touch window switches.
I got my 2013 508 (manual) at 155000 miles and the service print out that came with it suggested nothing other than replacing oil, filters, pads, etc.
In my time it has let me down once, spectacularly so, with the solenoid to the fuel rail failing. Engines without fuel stop. I've never once thought that it was an inherent fault with the car, just unlucky that it was me and mine. It's now on 185000 wiles
PatrickNeame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in