Diesel Additives - DO NOT USE - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 5008 > 5008 (2017+)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BiGK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-08-19, 08:48 AM   #1

Default Diesel Additives - DO NOT USE

Engine: 1.6 BlueHDI 120hp
Year: 2017
Tacho: 36k kilometers

Last week, while on vacation, I filled the tank at a local petrol station with their premium diesel offer. The salesmann asked me if I wanted to buy the small bottle of diesel additive (STP Diesel Injector cleaner).
I used it before on my two previous cars (Golf IV TDI and Passat B6 TDI), and I had no problems. So I said ok why not, the car has done 36k kilometers, it could probably use some injector cleaning.

The next day we went on a short trip, and after 2 days we drove back, it was about 500km on local roads (50-90kmh).
The next day I get to my car, start it, start driving and after a few kilometers I get the Engine Fault message and FAP filter clogged up message. Immediately the engine went into safe mode, the power was very limited.

Stopped the car, switch OFF and ON, the FAP filter message went away but the Engine fault stayed the same. I filled half a tank of normal diesel straight away, since I had a feeling it was caused by the additive or the diesel I have filled a few days before. I drove for about 80km but the fault was still there.

The next day I went to the nearest dealer. He performed the diagnostics and told me that there were 3 different faults present, basically all were related to poor diesel combustion, and one was related to high FAP filter differential pressure which was 45mBar at 3000RPMs.

All he basically did was clear the fault memory and told me to go onto motorway as soon as possible and drive the car at around 3000RPMs for about 30 minutes so that the FAP filter can regenerate again.
What happened is that the FAP filter regeneration could not be performed, the average regeneration cycle was approximately every 580 kilometers. And because of this the system triggered the Engine Fault and switched to safe mode.

So basically my message to everyone is not to use any disel additives you can buy at petrol stations or anywhere else. It seems that the car is very sensitive to it and you can only cause problems by adding this stuff into the fuel. It may be bad luck on my side that I was not driving on the Motorway after putting the stuff into the fuel tank so that FAP can regenerate, I have no idea.

upload
Advertisement

Old 28-08-19, 10:28 AM   #2

Most of the STP fuel injector according to the SDS sheet is kerosene (60-100%). Kerosene does absolutely NOTHING to clean the injectors.
There is also a dash of naphta, which itself is a solvent similar to petrol, along with a phenol amine.

The short story is, this stuff does not burn as well as diesel and does very little to actually remove deposits, it also doesn;t lubricate parts as well.

However ALL fuel sold in the EU have to meet a certain standard. Fuel injection systems are designed to work with that standard for the vehicles life and already have detergents in the fuel to remove deposits.

Best part is, those standards have to be tested and the benchmark is to use a PSA diesel engine. In the past it was a 1999 HDi as found in a 306. Then a 2006 HDi as found in a 407 and now a 2014 HDi as found in a 508.
mooi1uk likes this.
BiGK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-08-19, 05:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGK View Post
Most of the STP fuel injector according to the SDS sheet is kerosene (60-100%). Kerosene does absolutely NOTHING to clean the injectors.
There is also a dash of naphta, which itself is a solvent similar to petrol, along with a phenol amine.

The short story is, this stuff does not burn as well as diesel and does very little to actually remove deposits, it also doesn;t lubricate parts as well.

However ALL fuel sold in the EU have to meet a certain standard. Fuel injection systems are designed to work with that standard for the vehicles life and already have detergents in the fuel to remove deposits.

Best part is, those standards have to be tested and the benchmark is to use a PSA diesel engine. In the past it was a 1999 HDi as found in a 306. Then a 2006 HDi as found in a 407 and now a 2014 HDi as found in a 508.
Wow, that is a great set of information. Thanks.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in