Why the 407?! - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-11-13, 11:58 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Why the 407?!

Ok guys/girls I know it's late on a Sunday night and we should all be asleep for Monday

I'm both new to the forum and also to 407 ownership so I'm still in the 'loved up' stage of ownership, and like any forum of this nature most of these forums most threads are regarding help with faults etc I thought I'd start a little lighthearted thread

What I wanted to know is what made you all choose the 407 in the first place? Practicality?! Love at first sight?! Cost?!

I'll start off at the beginning of my long road to 407 ownership

Back in 2006 I got a summer job at Avis Rent-a-Car whilst at uni, for a 20 year old it was an amazing job, getting to drive all shapes and sizes of cars from the good -Mercedes E Class, to the amazing -Range Rover to the most horrible driving experience ever -Fiat Stilo (remember them?! Eugh!) anyway I digress, one of the cars that Avis had in hoardes was the Peugeot 407, I remember thinking that despite what I'd heard about Peugeot before it was a damn nice car to drive.

Anyway a few years later when I been on the big bad world for quite a while my 2003 1.4 Seat Arosa was getting tired I got a promotion which meant a commute, in this new job I was offered the chance of a lease car which I jumped at as I'd never had my own brand new car before, so after much deliberation I plumped for a Bianca White Peugeot 207 HDI 90 Allure 3 Door and I was in love, the car had everything a 25 year old could want for his first 'proper' car, 17" alloys, Cielo roof, USB port, half leather interior, tinted windows and amazing MPG, however sadly all good things come to an end and I got a new job closer to home which meant the car had to go back

So gutted at losing the 207 I was in search for a another car, I was blown away with the MPG so I decided to stick with a 1.6 Diesel engine but in a car slightly bigger, looked at Focus', Astra's etc but eventually went for a 2008/58 Peugeot 308 1.6 110 Sport 3 Door (3 door as I wanted to be a little different as so few about!) I have to admit I liked the 308 but it never quite caught my heart like the 207, especially as I lost a couple of features like half leather, Bluetooth, USB and Cielo roof.

At the start of this year I got married and inevitably talk of children in the next 3-4 years crops up so decided while the car had a bit of value to trade up to a 5 door, so I began looking at the usual suspects like Focus, 308, Mondeo, Golf, Passat etc, I decided that I wanted a larger car and ideally an estate, as for some reason I've always wanted one (most kids dream of a sports car where I've always wanted an estate/ 4x4! - strange child I know!)

Sadly in amongst all of this I injured my back in the form of a slipped disc which caused me nightmares trying to use a clutch so I decided that an Auto was the way to go, in my price range there were no Passat Estates and only previous gen Mondeo estates in my price range which left the 407SW, which of course I remembered enjoying driving from my time with Avis.

Scrolling through Autotrader and Gumtree night after night and hour after hour seeing endless SE's which didn't really catch my imagination I finally spotted a Sport version just outside London which didn't have full leather (which I'm not a fan of for some strange reason) so in the pics it looked awesome, only complaint would be that it was an identical colour to my 308 but beggars can't be choosers when in a hurry! So I called the
Guy up negotiated a deal, flew to Stansted then a train to the garage and fell in love with the car and drove it all the way back to Edinburgh that night!

So far have to say I love the car, has everything my beloved 207 had except the USB, and I've solved that by buying the Peugeot box and just need to get round to fitting it! Only a couple warning lights which have now disappeared (touch wood they stay away!)

So that's my long winded ownership story where I've become a totally unintentional Peugeot fanatic!
Davidr1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-11-13, 12:29 AM   #2

I'm on my second 407. First a 2005 2.0 hdi X line saloon. This one is a 2008 2.0 hdi GT multimedia saloon. Full red leather . Also had a D9 406 saloon.
I like 407s quite a lot. Even persuaded my old man to buy one.
Old 18-11-13, 12:36 AM   #3
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlineiain View Post
I'm on my second 407. First a 2005 2.0 hdi X line saloon. This one is a 2008 2.0 hdi GT multimedia saloon. Full red leather . Also had a D9 406 saloon.
I like 407s quite a lot. Even persuaded my old man to buy one.
Very nice choice, the mid-life upgrade looks great with the darker dash and of course the Sat Nav unit looks excellent in that space where there is just an awkward ledge in the regular version (I can just balance my iphone in it...just)

Old 18-11-13, 01:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidr1986 View Post
Very nice choice, the mid-life upgrade looks great with the darker dash and of course the Sat Nav unit looks excellent in that space where there is just an awkward ledge in the regular version (I can just balance my iphone in it...just)
Yeah the Sat nav is nice, as is the hard drive. So far I've got all of Iron Maiden's album on it and still a shed load of space for all my Metallica and Judas Priest
Old 18-11-13, 05:10 AM   #5
COLINELLIS

Hello Me I decided on the 407 after looking around and finding nothing but Mondeos ( Which I already had at the time ) & Vectras ( Last one blew head gastket ) when I finally got round to test driving the 407 I was smitten with the amount of toys and smoothness of the drive. I also loved the looks of the big mouth and the Panoramic roof. So after looking a few I found my 407sw handed over some beer tokens and have never looked back although I am tempted to upgrade to a newer motor but again can't decide what to get so I may just end up getting her remapped and seeing how it goes
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-11-13, 06:46 AM   #6
Inactive User

I decided on a 407 after my 106 burst into flames and my father (trem1), sister and brother where in a crash in Trem1's 407. I was impressed with how it stood up and protected them and also came across a sweet one. Had it a year now
Im only 27 so they defo not an 'OLD' mans car lol, im going to go run and hide now
407XJR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-11-13, 09:33 AM   #7

I was 26 (just) when I got mine.

I'd started off looking at the A4, Passat, V70 or Mondeo but when I saw this 407 the level of spec, comfort and clever features like the split tailgate and glass roof for the money compared to the others made it a clear winner.
James407 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-11-13, 10:20 AM   #8
Inactive User

Got mine as it was a bargain lux coupe. Ideally would want an Audi A5, but wont pay the money! And i think a 4 ltr petrol BMW 6 series would be a bit expensive to run. A Jag XK a bit unreliable and i just don't like Merc coupes.
It was a choice between Hyundai 2.7 V6 petrol, or the Pug. The Pug had more toys so it won.
Got mine for £4k with 32k on the clock. Quite a bargain i think. And its £270 a year to tax. Which for the 2.7 HDi, is good as well.
Might give a clean this week now!
savs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-11-13, 11:17 AM   #9
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by savs View Post
It was a choice between Hyundai 2.7 V6 petrol, or the Pug. The Pug had more toys so it won.
I had the 2.0 version of the Hyundai, great car, in black. Always wanted the 2.7 v6 but the majority where auto's and i wanted a 6 speed manual
407XJR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-11-13, 11:47 AM   #10
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407XJR View Post
I had the 2.0 version of the Hyundai, great car, in black. Always wanted the 2.7 v6 but the majority where auto's and i wanted a 6 speed manual
Years ago my dad had a Hyundai Coupé, lovely car, also toyed with the idea if one before I got my 308 but practicality won out in the end

I still think on the whole they are very very underrated cars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in