whistling noise - Turbo - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-10-11, 06:17 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default whistling noise - Turbo

Whistling noise comes from the engine (Turbo) when i release the speed padal on peugeot 407 1.6 HDI, if i see the trubo, there is black smoke stuck on the top. taken to couple of garages, some says, better to replace the turbo as fault in it rest said, no issues, turbo would keep working ok except that whistling noise, can someone on this forum, please advice? Any ideas how much it normally costs to replace the turbo of 407 1.6 HDI diesel? some says that it is a tricky and expensive job to replace the turbo, bought the car even less than a year 05 plate with 40k milage.... Quite new to the peugot cars and this forum as well, would appreciate any helpful suggessions on this.

Last edited by altafqau; 23-10-11 at 06:34 PM.
altafqau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-10-11, 06:29 PM   #2

Mines the same , theres a clamp you can buy for turbo to stop this , any dealer should know , cheap fix , turbo is fine.
altafqau likes this.
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-10-11, 06:34 PM   #3
Inactive User

Default Turbo clamp - to stop whisteling noise.

thank you, makes sense, how easy it would be to put the clamp onto the turbo? you mean, to buy it from peugeot dealer or can be get from any parts shop....do you know please what is this clamp called?

Last edited by altafqau; 23-10-11 at 06:36 PM.

Old 23-10-11, 07:37 PM   #4
jmkent

All the details, including a part no.... https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...bo-leak-15895/
bettyswollocks, trem1 and altafqau like this.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-10-11, 11:26 PM   #5
Inactive User

Sound vaguely familiar? It's not a bad thing, that was recorded right after a rebuild.

Phil
altafqau likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
philkerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-10-11, 05:01 AM   #6
Inactive User

and sometimes needs software upgrade in dealer and important is check dpf because maybe is blocked
Old 24-10-11, 09:41 AM   #7
Inactive User

Phil- Exactly this is the same noise coming from my car's turbo. it's been nightmare, took my car to the 4 different garages including peugeot dealer - all had different opinions, some wanted to replace turbo and the other's said no probs with turbo. peugeot said, it is normal.... nothing to do. 1 of the garages charged me 250 for the diagonosis but even could not trace where the noise is coming from. they taken out the fuel injectors etc and at the end given me recomendations that fully empty the fuel tank as it can be due to poor quality of diesel - total non-sense and the rip off as well.

thanks for your advice - went to the clamp fix thread (link) but link is not working, can you pleae help..

Web Site Unavailable
Old 24-10-11, 10:30 AM   #8
Inactive User

thanks Guys, noise is exactly the same as phil has mentioned, i have been gone to the above thread- 407 turbo leak but the pdf link is not working.

very much appreciate this, as been trying to get to the root cause of this problem from last couple of months. been to 4 garages - few wanted to replace turbo, rest not (including peugeot). dealer said no need to change and advise that this is normal behaviour of HDI turbo but noise is there like cryin baby... 1 of the garages even charged very high diagnostic fees of 250 and said no fault at the end. they non-sensely recomended to fully empty the fuel tank.... so a lot of hassale plus a rip off but problem is still there. Hopes this clamping fix will resolve this issue. many thanks for your help guys...
Old 24-10-11, 04:02 PM   #9
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by altafqau View Post
thanks Guys, noise is exactly the same as phil has mentioned, i have been gone to the above thread- 407 turbo leak but the pdf link is not working.

very much appreciate this, as been trying to get to the root cause of this problem from last couple of months. been to 4 garages - few wanted to replace turbo, rest not (including peugeot). dealer said no need to change and advise that this is normal behaviour of HDI turbo but noise is there like cryin baby... 1 of the garages even charged very high diagnostic fees of 250 and said no fault at the end. they non-sensely recomended to fully empty the fuel tank.... so a lot of hassale plus a rip off but problem is still there. Hopes this clamping fix will resolve this issue. many thanks for your help guys...
I meant to sort that out this morning, I've been busy as hell!

A turbo was never going to be able to compress air at high flow rate while spinning around 50,000rpm or so, and be silent. Listen to your average VW Turbo (same as these) - they sound quite nice.

Phil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
philkerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-10-11, 09:27 AM   #10
Inactive User

okay - Many Thanks Phil - i agree with your advise and I would ignore this whistleing noise then. i would keep driving as it is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in