Whining sound from engine compartment - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-04-11, 10:05 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Whining sound from engine compartment

Ok, owning a 407 is a strange one at times.

My 407 2L Coupe diesel has this strange whining sound coming from the engine compartment when you get between 1500 - 2000 revs, usually in 1st & 2nd gears when your taking off.

The only way i can describe the sound is it is like cop car siren in the distance. In fact when it first stated a few weeks ago i was looking in the mirrors to see if the cops were coming down the road behind me wanting past.

Apart from this noise the car is running fine with no problems at all its just a bit annoying, im more worried about what this noise is leading up too. A turbo problem perhaps?

Anybody with any ideas as to what it may be?
scottn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-04-11, 12:44 PM   #2

It`s your Turbo , i have the same ,it`s like someone with no teeth trying to whistle , it doesn`t worry me
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-04-11, 02:47 PM   #3
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyswollocks View Post
It`s your Turbo , i have the same ,it`s like someone with no teeth trying to whistle , it doesn`t worry me
Thats exactly how it sounds like.

Why doesnt it trouble you though, its not normal is it?

The car didnt do it before and only started a few weeks ago. My main worry is this is a prelude to the turbo going pop?...

Old 26-04-11, 04:39 PM   #4

one 407 owner says his has been doing that the last two years , what are you going to do change it in case it stops working?
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-04-11, 06:31 PM   #5
Inactive User

I see your point Betty.

I was just wondering if this turbo starting to whine means i need to start puting away some if this whine means it may go on me in the near future.

My love affair with this car is seriously being tested, reliability is non-existant.
Old 25-05-11, 05:46 PM   #6
Inactive User

Send a message via MSN to Tom_N

Hey guys, sorry to bring up an older thread but I've been searching Google trying to narrow down how to describe this noise and scottn's post perfectly sums it up!! It's going into the garage tomorrow for them to diagnose it but I'm sure I already know what they're going to tell me...

Does anyone know if this is actually a serious problem? Can it be sat on and not worried about? Or is it a matter of sorting it now rather than later? Any more replies greatly appreciated!
Old 26-05-11, 07:40 AM   #7
Inactive User

To be honest it doesnt affect the running of the car in the slightest.

I asume its just the turbo winding itself up in 1st & 2nd gears, still it shouldnt make a noise though.

I would expect the Peugoet garage to want to change the turbo and as usual with them you can guess a price, double it then add a bit more on the get a cost.

Let me know what the come back with though.
Old 26-05-11, 05:23 PM   #8
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn View Post
To be honest it doesnt affect the running of the car in the slightest.

I asume its just the turbo winding itself up in 1st & 2nd gears, still it shouldnt make a noise though.

I would expect the Peugoet garage to want to change the turbo and as usual with them you can guess a price, double it then add a bit more on the get a cost.

Let me know what the come back with though.
Hi mate, yeah you're right in that it doesnt affect the car but it was a little concerning! I aired on the side of caution, although I didn't take it to a Peugeot dealer!

Took it to my faithful local garage and they checked it out and basically said there's nothing wrong and it's working fine! So a bit of a result. However one of the ball joints was on the way out (which I was aware of and have been for some time) so finally got that sorted!

Hope that helps? How many miles has your car covered? Mines on 139,500 so it wasn't entirely unexpected. I can deal with the sound, its mildly amusing and I usually have music on the go anyway so will be none the wiser .
Old 27-05-11, 08:15 AM   #9
Inactive User

Mine has done about 90k now.

Did your mechanic say what was causing this noise and if there was any way to sort it without replacing expensive parts.

Like you say it doesnt effect the car but people turning round to look when they hear the noise as you take off in 1st gear is a bit off putting
Old 27-05-11, 09:42 PM   #10
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn View Post
Mine has done about 90k now.

Did your mechanic say what was causing this noise and if there was any way to sort it without replacing expensive parts.

Like you say it doesnt effect the car but people turning round to look when they hear the noise as you take off in 1st gear is a bit off putting
No he didn't explain what was causing it, except that the turbo itself is operating normally. To be honest it's what I wanted to hear in the sense that it could of been a whole lot worse, I don't think he even knew what was causing it.

For the time being I'm happy for it to stay like this, I'll keep an eye on the car and any change in behaviour. Have you taken you're car to a garage yet? Maybe then can give an answer..?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in