What's it worth? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By reliable406
  • 2 Post By chompy_snake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-14, 02:47 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default What's it worth?

Right thinking of selling this thing that calls itself a car ...
No idea what it's worth so would like some idea as to what I should ask for it please!

It's a 2008 (30/01/2008) 407 sw se [6] with 210k on it, I only just had it serviced and got new front brakes on it. Only just had a new windscreen put in it (195 because no cover on insurance) and I have managed to bodge the passenger side of the heater box so at least that side will work (went in through side of box)!
There has been a replacement sill I think on the passenger side and the paint needs attention around the rear quarter area also there is some rust around the rear of the sill where the paint is bad and above the handle thing on the boot has bubbling under the paint!

It did have full service history, which 90% was main dealer (I have had it serviced to keep it going) but the service book has gone missing after I got the car home .... I know that the timing belt was changed at 173k but the garage cleaned off the engine during service and the sticker face has gone (morons) .... Overall the car is fairly solid and looks presentable, there is M.O.T until Jan 2015 and I'm just fed up with it having problems. I have already spent around 600 on various things and that's more than the damn thing is worth most likely! It also had a new crank sensor fitted as it kept cutting out !

I was thinking of sticking it on Autotrader or Fleabay for about 8 - 900 to see If I could make some kind of a return on it but I will still make a loss either way as I payed 1495 for it 3 weeks ago and a ton on repairs already (never mind)

How much is it likely to be worth do we think?
chompy_snake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-14, 04:04 PM   #2

But if you've fixed a lot of things, why get rid of it to buy another motor with its own, but different issues?

I had a similar dilemma with my own 307 after rebuilding the front and rear suspension, fitting a new clutch, timing/water pump, rear box.....all wear and tear items. The trade in or secondhand value was truly crap so I decided to keep it
britinbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-14, 08:59 PM   #3

I'm with Britinbe.

I bought a 307 18 months ago. Paid 1750 for it. Since getting it I have spent 809.27p on it.
  • New clutch
  • Front springs
  • Rear springs & shock absorbers
  • Rear discs & pads
  • Front pads
  • Anti roll bar bushes
  • Timing belt & aux belt
  • Tyres
  • Five services - Oil change and all filters
  • Leather interior (80)
  • Wood effect dash & door trims (27)

All barring the last three items are wear items so to be expected on a high mileage car if no record of recently being done.

The car runs great and has never let me down. Wouldn't risk getting rid of it because the cars I could afford to replace it would more than likely need the same things doing and may not be as reliable as this one has been.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-14, 09:09 PM   #4
Inactive User

hmmm, that's food for thought. But still not 100% sure tbh!
Currently fixing drivers side heater flap so as it stops getting so hot.

Still feel a bit like I got shafted to be fair ... should have opened my eyes when I bought it lol
Old 12-11-14, 10:58 AM   #5
Inactive User

One of the first jobs to be done on mine was the flaps - I never thought about testing the heater etc on a test drive so learnt from my errors.

Since then have had issues with car but to be fair I love the drive of it and most if not all are sorted now and it is a great car!
Happygilmore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-14, 03:37 PM   #6
Inactive User

A 2008 for 1495 was cheap and now you know why.
Not many buying cars this side of Xmas and with MOT in Jan, no SH, or other proof of cambelt etc, rust, high mileage for year. Not looking good.
Even if you could get 800 (doubtful) you will have lost 1200+ in 3 weeks and then you have to buy another unknown.
I wouldn't like to be in your shoes, it's a tricky one.
briandamage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-14, 07:21 PM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandamage View Post
A 2008 for 1495 was cheap and now you know why.
Not many buying cars this side of Xmas and with MOT in Jan, no SH, or other proof of cambelt etc, rust, high mileage for year. Not looking good.
Even if you could get 800 (doubtful) you will have lost 1200+ in 3 weeks and then you have to buy another unknown.
I wouldn't like to be in your shoes, it's a tricky one.

I have to agree with you I'm afraid! I do love the way it drives, really I do but today I went to the paint shop and they pointed out the problems that are causing the rust. It has, for some unknown reason in the past, had a replacement N/s rear quarter panel! The paint applied was done in the crappest and cheapest way possible and has started to micro blister (thus causing the rust underneath) and now "what has been seen cannot be unseen" lol ... The paint and bodywork is going to be a 700 bill but the body shop say it looks like it's worth it and that should deal with every blemish pretty much and give a very uniform finish! Conundrum is basically to leave the car to rust through the rear sill n/s and then junk it .... or pay out a further 700 to make it look perfect and maybe save it for years to come ??

I have been to look at a 508 sw today and the trade in on my car is woeful to be fair but around the value I had first thought 750 was the offer

I think I may have to stick with it for a while now, after spending so much it would be very stupid to lose it all so soon. Just next time I buy a car I will be really careful and most likely go to main dealer
Old 12-11-14, 10:50 PM   #8
Inactive User

Personally, I would stick with it at least till the MOT.
Any 210k car is going to need constant TLC.
I've lost count of how many of my cars didn't turn out the way I hoped
Good luck with it, at least you've got this forum, which of course you won't need
briandamage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13-11-14, 08:41 AM   #9

I bought a clio DCI nearly 3 years ago had a dented door and rear wing pushed out B pillar enough to get a door on and shutting ok then put it to work as I needed a car

It is still going strong now even done 3 trips to blackpool with hardly any repairs needed still has dents hardly gets washed was going to scrap it last year but it has been the most reliable banger ever.

It now has 180k miles on it I am just going to keep running it till it eventually dies seems like it might take a while

Previous owner thought it was a piece of crap only fit for the scrap heap !!
pr1vatepiles likes this.
Old 18-11-14, 02:56 PM   #10
Inactive User

O.k, the decision is to keep the car on for a while, fixing issues as they arise as this is I think the best way forward!
I do now have a fully functioning heater and this car is proving to be reliable enough to travel the length and breadth of the country without having to worry if she is going to break! Most recent trip was from Derbyshire to southsea and then on to Stockton-on-tees and then a return to Derbyshire! Almost 700 miles and a total cost of 70 in diesel ... I'm going to struggle to better that with another car I think
trem1 and Gibbo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in