What a kefuffle - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-02-17, 10:11 AM   #1

Default What a kefuffle

My 407 is coming home today after some surgery.
Clutch had gone apparently but after dismantling it turned out to be the flywheel causing the bother. My mechanic showed me the old one. Some of the spring things inside it had literally smashed in pieces, all this without any real warning. Anyway, I bought a whole conversion kit including a new clutch to change to a solid flywheel which apparently is a better job. Is this a common fault and can I expect to notice any driving difference with the solid flywheel ?
Green Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-02-17, 10:23 AM   #2
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Monkey View Post
My 407 is coming home today after some surgery.
Clutch had gone apparently but after dismantling it turned out to be the flywheel causing the bother. My mechanic showed me the old one. Some of the spring things inside it had literally smashed in pieces, all this without any real warning. Anyway, I bought a whole conversion kit including a new clutch to change to a solid flywheel which apparently is a better job. Is this a common fault and can I expect to notice any driving difference with the solid flywheel ?
I had the dual flywheel changed to to solid becuase its so common fault. Only diffrence is that its allot faster in changing gears and seems like more torque.

But you will def see a change in the clutch, it makes it allot harder and stiff to push down.
PeugoetD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-02-17, 10:46 AM   #3

Lots of Debate on various forums about the solid conversion,PeugeotD is the only one i can think of that hasnt slated it. good luck with yours, i personally dont think the dmf is a 'common' fault, yes they do go but normally around the 100k mark, hardly unreliable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Iron Grey 136bhp 2.0 hdi SE .........Written off
2006 Icelandic Grey 136bhp 2.0HDI SE......Written off
2006 Silver 136bhp 2.0hdi SE......Current car
Join us on FB "Peugeot 407 uk"
trem1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 25-02-17, 12:09 PM   #4

total agree with above posts...my old fleet of transits depended on the vehicle use....the ones constantly used for small multi drop..lasted about 30k as the ones on long distance never had a problem..sold at 100k....moral of dmf=heavy use ..quick wear
noddy-hol is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-02-17, 01:14 PM   #5

Solid flywheels are fine but harsher gearchanges and can cause more wear in the gearbox

Dual mass flywheels are designed to absorb some of the torque when changing gear to make the gearchanges smoother and to protect the gearbox the debate has been done to death and both have pros and cons

Personally i prefer a dual mass but if i done a lot of towing i would probably use a solid flywheel its really down to driving style and use more than reliability
Old 25-02-17, 01:21 PM   #6

I went for the solid flywheel primarily because the car was on the ramp before the mechanic could know for sure what the cause was. I couldn't get a DMF at very short notice so he said the solid one would be fine. Plus it was much cheaper too, 275 at ECP for the full conversion kit.
Old 25-02-17, 08:21 PM   #7

Got the car back this afternoon. All seems well. If anything the clutch is lighter than before but perhaps that's because the DMF was on it's way out for a while before it blew and wasn't performing as it should.
Gear oil was changed too and the gear lever also feels very light and smooth. Only thing I noticed is that there is a very slight judder when first moving off in first gear and when using reverse. It lasts for just a second, perhaps it's my clutch control that's causing it. Overall I'm happy with it.
Old 25-02-17, 08:30 PM   #8
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Monkey View Post
Got the car back this afternoon. All seems well. If anything the clutch is lighter than before but perhaps that's because the DMF was on it's way out for a while before it blew and wasn't performing as it should.
Gear oil was changed too and the gear lever also feels very light and smooth. Only thing I noticed is that there is a very slight judder when first moving off in first gear and when using reverse. It lasts for just a second, perhaps it's my clutch control that's causing it. Overall I'm happy with it.
yes you get that, once you master the new flywheel you wont notice it much.
PeugoetD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-02-17, 08:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeugoetD View Post
yes you get that, once you master the new flywheel you wont notice it much.
Thanks PeugeotD.
My mechanic only charged 110 for doing the job so I can't complain (I buy the parts). He's a real old fashioned type mechanic who has spent a lifetime building and racing stock cars. Definitely old skool and highly effective. The downside of his pricing is that he works at his own pace, not mine, hence the reason it has taken 2 weeks to get done!! :-)
Old 02-03-17, 07:25 PM   #10

yes....mine took me about 6 days on my own....first time i'd done it ...wasn't in any particular rush so i did the flywheel oil seal + diff seals and input shaft oil seal too ,belt n braces approach i have...all easy enough ,but a lotta junk in the way lol,whole was front off....scary !
neil
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in