What keeps running after engine is switched off - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-01-13, 07:33 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default What keeps running after engine is switched off

OK this is for my dad's car 55 plate 407 2L HDi diesel

Normally when the ignition is switched off there is a whirring/pump noise from the engine bay followed by a click of a relay ? (the relay ? is located behind the battery to the right of the fuses).

What has started happening is the above whirring / pump noise keeps running and there is no click from the relay, this keeps going until the battery is flat.

If I disconnect the battery and reconnect it the problem goes away until the ignition is turned on and off again.

I am thinking it is power going to either the diesel pump or the power steering pump.

The questions for you all are.

1) Am I on the right track / line
2) Has any of you come across this before
3) How do I fix it
p1aceb0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-01-13, 08:11 PM   #2

Sounds like steering pump to me
reliable406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-01-13, 08:19 PM   #3
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
Sounds like steering pump to me
I should be able to check this by turning the steering wheel when it is making the noise.

And the fix would be ?

please don't say change the pump

Old 26-01-13, 08:27 PM   #4

possibly a relay staying powered when it should not in the underbonnet fusebox
reliable406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-01-13, 08:31 PM   #5
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
possibly a relay staying powered when it should not in the underbonnet fusebox
Sounds better,

I think I know which relay it is as I have looked at them and checked witch one clicks when it is working OK
Old 28-01-13, 11:30 AM   #6
Inactive User

Default Fully Charged Battery

Hi p1aceb0, the following is a bit lengthy bit stick with it, it may help, please note I am a newbie and no expert,

Tony from Mansfield in Nottingham here, age 55, I have owned a 407 saloon 55 reg 2ltr HDi x line in silver for 6 years now with 82k on it I have done 70k of these, had the "usual" lower ball joints? frip joints? done, rear abs sensors, I fitted new front discs and pads all round myself.

( my post on another forum)

"""My car has just started with a "depollution" warning light and it has been a great help to read past posts on this, could be Turbo pressure solenoid,

also ABS/ESP warning lights on again, past posts could be front sensors need doing now

the power steering pump is making a high pitched whining noise and will only stop if I disconnect a lead from the battery, not every time I make a journey but most times, when this happens my speedo reading freezes? and the engine management light is on, any help would be greatly appreciated"""

(My solution done by purely by chance)

I removed my car battery and charged it on low for 12 hours, the Bosch battery is about 14 months old, I only use the 407 for about 2 days per week I use the 206 as a town / run around. I reconnected the battery and have been out in the 407 3 times now done about 200 miles, and NO depollution error NO engine light on NO whine on the power steering pump ??? all silent when ignition turned off.

a more experienced member on the other forum suggested I could have rebooted / reset the Bsi and put things to rights

(I FOUND THIS WHILE READING THROUGH POSTS) - PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING OR DAMAGE COULD OCCUR

PROCEDURE FOR BATTERY DIS-CONNECTION (The 3 Minute Rule)

Whenever a vehicle battery has to be dis-connected, switch off all equipment, interior lights etc, close the doors leaving the drivers window open.

Switch off the ignition and remove the key and any DIAG equipment.

Wait a full 3 minutes before disconnecting the battery.

The BSi must be allowed to go to SLEEP i.e. into "power save mode". Do not operate any equipment on the vehicle during this time. Remember, even
opening the bonnet will wake the BSi on a vehicle fitted with alarm / bonnet switch.

If the battery is under the bonnet, open the bonnet first and leave it up.

ALWAYS disconnect any DIAG equipment and do not operate any plips from any other vehicles during the 3 minute waiting period.

PROCEDURE FOR BATTERY RECONNECTION

Unless otherwise instructed by Product Service, you must always
carry out the following procedure, often referred to as a "soft re-boot", to
minimise the possibility of the BSi corrupting its own software when
reconnecting the vehicles battery supply.

Ensure the procedure for battery disconnection has been adhered to and
importantly all BSi functions were switched off with the drivers window left
down.
1 Close all doors
2 Remove ignition key if left in ignition
3 Reconnect battery. DO NOT open any doors
4 Wait 10 seconds
5 Switch on headlights through the drivers window (you will hear a "bong") (note: Snap-on says Side-lights)
6 Switch on ignition then start the vehicle and check system functions
NOTE: Upon reconnection, if any vehicle function controlled by the BSi i.e .
interior light is switched on,the internal operation of the BSi has the potential
to spike or corrupt its configuration and software program so be CAREFUL !!

Hope you are still awake p1aceb0

(please note p1aceb0, point 5 did not happen for me? but 1 month on still no probs)

Last edited by Father T; 28-01-13 at 11:46 AM.
Father T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-01-13, 05:55 PM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father T View Post
Hi p1aceb0, the following is a bit lengthy bit stick with it, it may help, please note I am a newbie and no expert,

Tony from Mansfield in Nottingham here, age 55, I have owned a 407 saloon 55 reg 2ltr HDi x line in silver for 6 years now with 82k on it I have done 70k of these, had the "usual" lower ball joints? frip joints? done, rear abs sensors, I fitted new front discs and pads all round myself.

( my post on another forum)

"""My car has just started with a "depollution" warning light and it has been a great help to read past posts on this, could be Turbo pressure solenoid,

also ABS/ESP warning lights on again, past posts could be front sensors need doing now

the power steering pump is making a high pitched whining noise and will only stop if I disconnect a lead from the battery, not every time I make a journey but most times, when this happens my speedo reading freezes? and the engine management light is on, any help would be greatly appreciated"""

(My solution done by purely by chance)

I removed my car battery and charged it on low for 12 hours, the Bosch battery is about 14 months old, I only use the 407 for about 2 days per week I use the 206 as a town / run around. I reconnected the battery and have been out in the 407 3 times now done about 200 miles, and NO depollution error NO engine light on NO whine on the power steering pump ??? all silent when ignition turned off.

a more experienced member on the other forum suggested I could have rebooted / reset the Bsi and put things to rights

(I FOUND THIS WHILE READING THROUGH POSTS) - PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING OR DAMAGE COULD OCCUR

PROCEDURE FOR BATTERY DIS-CONNECTION (The 3 Minute Rule)

Whenever a vehicle battery has to be dis-connected, switch off all equipment, interior lights etc, close the doors leaving the drivers window open.

Switch off the ignition and remove the key and any DIAG equipment.

Wait a full 3 minutes before disconnecting the battery.

The BSi must be allowed to go to SLEEP i.e. into "power save mode". Do not operate any equipment on the vehicle during this time. Remember, even
opening the bonnet will wake the BSi on a vehicle fitted with alarm / bonnet switch.

If the battery is under the bonnet, open the bonnet first and leave it up.

ALWAYS disconnect any DIAG equipment and do not operate any plips from any other vehicles during the 3 minute waiting period.

PROCEDURE FOR BATTERY RECONNECTION

Unless otherwise instructed by Product Service, you must always
carry out the following procedure, often referred to as a "soft re-boot", to
minimise the possibility of the BSi corrupting its own software when
reconnecting the vehicles battery supply.

Ensure the procedure for battery disconnection has been adhered to and
importantly all BSi functions were switched off with the drivers window left
down.
1 Close all doors
2 Remove ignition key if left in ignition
3 Reconnect battery. DO NOT open any doors
4 Wait 10 seconds
5 Switch on headlights through the drivers window (you will hear a "bong") (note: Snap-on says Side-lights)
6 Switch on ignition then start the vehicle and check system functions
NOTE: Upon reconnection, if any vehicle function controlled by the BSi i.e .
interior light is switched on,the internal operation of the BSi has the potential
to spike or corrupt its configuration and software program so be CAREFUL !!

Hope you are still awake p1aceb0

(please note p1aceb0, point 5 did not happen for me? but 1 month on still no probs)
Great reply,

I will give it a go and see what happens.

My old man has been and got a new battery already so we know the battery is good

Will keep you posted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in