Water Leak into Driver Footwell - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Rob R
  • 1 Post By Rob R
  • 1 Post By Johnny_E

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-12-13, 10:09 PM   #1
Inactive User

Post Water Leak into Driver Footwell

Having just bought Pug 407 to find footwell wet, thinking as wet weather just feet wetting but too wet for that, looked at windscreen scuttle and it appears to have slight damage when peel back rubber, does this scuttle prevent water penetration or is it cosmetic? there looks to be hole down to under base of screen, would I be better replacing full scuttle or would it be worth just sealing the area, just scared that I block some sort of drain hole, but want leak gone as gone to need to take carpet out to completely dry so not wanting to replace them just to get wet again, Any advice welcome
alistair4287 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-12-13, 11:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistair4287 View Post
Having just bought Pug 407 to find footwell wet, thinking as wet weather just feet wetting but too wet for that, looked at windscreen scuttle and it appears to have slight damage when peel back rubber, does this scuttle prevent water penetration or is it cosmetic? there looks to be hole down to under base of screen, would I be better replacing full scuttle or would it be worth just sealing the area, just scared that I block some sort of drain hole, but want leak gone as gone to need to take carpet out to completely dry so not wanting to replace them just to get wet again, Any advice welcome

You should have drain holes make sure they are clear
karl mcghee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-12-13, 11:33 AM   #3
Inactive User

it could also be the heater matrix leaking or pipes that feed it, so check ur expansion tank when ur heater is on hot,
societydwelr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 23-12-13, 11:39 AM   #4

you would get rusty water if they had gone
karl mcghee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-12-13, 12:41 PM   #5
Inactive User

Have just got a Pug 307 with this exact issue. If you scuttle drains are clear (check by pouring water into the perforated part of the scuttle, on both sides, and look for water exiting behind the front whhel arch liner). If these are clear and your expansion tank is not loosing any coolant then the scuttle is to blame.
The scuttle needs to be tight to the window if not water enters behind the soundproofing and runs down the bulkhead and into the footwell.
Oh one other thing to check is if you have A/C the drain pipe is clear this can back up and cause water in the drivers footwell aswell.
I am waiting for a dry day in kent (maybe march the way the weater is looking at the moment) to seal my scuttle with black silicone sealant.
rwb and alistair4287 like this.
Rob R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-12-13, 08:31 PM   #6
Inactive User

had scuttle off today,well not totally off as couldn't get wiper arms off!!!!, seems like im not supposed to find this leak, can anyone suggest how to get wiper arms off so can fit new scuttle if it comes to that. it looks like water just runs to channel under screen, didnt try water test to check drain holes, had look for them but didnt see how could access them or with what to unblock them with if i find them

Last edited by alistair4287; 23-12-13 at 08:55 PM. Reason: more info
alistair4287 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-12-13, 01:05 PM   #7
Inactive User

Default wiper arm removal

you can remove the perforated part of scuttle with something blunt and flat so therefore you dont need to remove wiper arms (i found this out after i had removed my arms with a tool from draper at a cost of 10 whole pounds.lol).
When perforated part is removed (it just sort of pops out when you work around the edges) use something to clear the holes (i used an old piece of curtain wire) and check water flows from behind wheel arch liner. i also cleaned the part the bonnet lid hinge retracts into not sure if this is needed but i did it anyway.
Old 24-12-13, 01:13 PM   #8
Inactive User

Default Leak into footwell

Forgot to mention to check the pollen filter on drivers side as if the drain mentioned on this side is/has been blocked it can run into the filter and then into the cabin/footwell. check if filter is wet/over dirty and if so replace.
alistair4287 likes this.
Old 31-01-14, 09:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistair4287 View Post
had scuttle off today,well not totally off as couldn't get wiper arms off!!!!, seems like im not supposed to find this leak, can anyone suggest how to get wiper arms off so can fit new scuttle if it comes to that. it looks like water just runs to channel under screen, didnt try water test to check drain holes, had look for them but didnt see how could access them or with what to unblock them with if i find them
Did you ever get to the bottom of this one?.. My 407 has a mini swimming pool in the passenger side floor. No sign of wetness coming down from behind the dash.. the floor is the only bit wet. Sills are dry too...

Tis a wierd one..
Johnny_E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-14, 06:42 PM   #10

Just posting back in case anyone has the same problem as I do/did....

It was the door seal - at the sill, where your heel would hit as you get in. The seal is fine looking, but the water is getting over it here. Tested by pulling back the soaking carpets and running a hose on the door whilst watching from inside.

Fixed by lifting the seals, laying cut up car wash sponge over the lip and refitting. The sponge has padded the seal out to make a tight seal again.

Wish I'd thought to get the hose out BEFORE removing the wipers and scuttle guards!! Typical.

Just the remains of the pool of water to dry out. The underlay is in the bin. Rotten.
COLINELLIS likes this.
Johnny_E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in