Water in Fuel Filter - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-17, 10:47 AM   #1

Default Water in Fuel Filter

Hi all im Davey, I'm looking for some advice! I bought a 2005 407SE 2.0HDI about two weeks ago. Problem is the evening of the day i bought it I got warning ref:- Presence of water in the diesel fuel filter! I was quick on the phone to the used car dealer i bought the car from and it was arranged that the fuel filter would be changed. I'm still getting the Presence of water in diesel fuel filter. The car has also been to a Peugeot Dealer for a ecu and bis reprogram and had a diagnostic test to which no problems where found! Peugeot dealer said they have no idea why the light is coming on as they said it shouldn't be! This is my first ever diesel car so i'm concerned if i keep driving it, I will be wrecking the engine! Any advice would be greatly appreciated David.
HDIDAVE407 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-17, 11:00 AM   #2

A lot of cars don't have the water in filter sensor so even if they had water in the filter they wouldnt be aware. The issue with having the sensor is that if the sensor is faulty and giving false reports it only serves to worry the driver. If there is indeed water in the fuel filter it is easily drained and if the warning keeps coming back it could be an indication that the tank has water contamination which at wort case could require it being completely drained. On the other hand, there may be no water in the tank and it's a faulty sensor or wiring fault.

The fact that fuel floats on top of water means that any water in the fuel will drop to the bottom of the filter container meaning the injectors get fed with relatively water free fuel up to the point where the water content rises to the level of the output pipe which feeds the high pressure pump resulting in porr running or not running at all.

It's possible that a previous owner only ever putting small amounts of fuel in the tank giving rise to a lrge volume of moisture rich air filling the rest of the tank. Eventually the moisture will condense into water contaminating the low fuel level which will end up in the filter. I'd try running it till the tank was virtually empty then fill the tank till the first pump shutoff then if a high miler, to only ever fill the tank rather than add 10 or 20 at a time. If only doing very low mileage then keep topping it up every couple of weeks.
HDIDAVE407 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-17, 11:00 AM   #3

If the filter has been replaced without draining the fuel in the filter housing, then the water could still be present.

Alternatively, the sensor could be defective.
HDIDAVE407 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jimmymarsbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-17, 11:56 PM   #4

storeman, jimmymarsbar I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions! It was an elderly couple who owned the car before me. In the last four years the cars only covered approx 1k miles looking at the past mot certs. I'll act on your advice i'll run the car to nearly empty then fill the tank to see if that helps. failing that i'll have to get the tank emptied and any sensors and wiring looked at. Many thanks again guys David.
Old 10-03-17, 07:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDIDAVE407 View Post
It was an elderly couple who owned the car before me. In the last four years the cars only covered approx 1k miles looking at the past mot certs.
That's not good. Diesels need good long runs. Short shopping trips put undue pressure on the DPF system and dual mass flywheel clutch.

If there's any way you can reject the car, I'd give that some serious consideration.
HDIDAVE407 likes this.
Old 10-03-17, 07:59 AM   #6

I agree low miles and diesels is a bad combination they are best suited to high miles and regular use.

Water in fuel sensors are very unreliable and most cars dont even have them anyway its unlikely you do have any real amount of water in your fuel or car would run badly

As storeman says burn the fuel off and refill a small amount of water is normal due to condensation build up filling up on cold and rainy days etc
HDIDAVE407 likes this.
Old 10-03-17, 09:41 AM   #7

Thank you Gibbo and reliable406, The used car dealer gave me a six month warranty so i think i'm covered in case of any malfunction. I did report the problem on the first day i had the car and the used car dealer is trying to get to the bottom of it for me. I do cover quite a few miles each day going to and from work so hopping with the advice from storeman it might correct it's self! I'm just worried about any damage being caused to the engine eg rust and a massive repair bill once the warranty ends! Many thanks David
Old 10-03-17, 10:09 AM   #8

I don't think a rusty engine is a real prospect. If there is a lot of water, the engine would not run. A little water will just turn to steam and do no harm.

On a foggy day, water is taken in with the air and does just that. Some drivers note that the engine actually seems to be more powerful under those conditions - this is because the fuel/air "charge" is cooled by the formation of steam, which improves efficiency. In fact, water injection is a standard method of boosting engines, and was used in some WWII fighters.
HDIDAVE407 likes this.
IanML is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-17, 11:11 AM   #9

The water IF there is any wont cause rust as it also needs air for rust to form and there is no air in the fuel pipes well not normally

Most of the fuel system is plastic anyway so little chance of rust water can damage the pump and injectors but it would need enough water to affect running to be a problem.

Ifs far more likely the sensor is telling porkies
HDIDAVE407 likes this.
Old 10-03-17, 11:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDIDAVE407 View Post
The used car dealer gave me a six month warranty so i think i'm covered in case of any malfunction.
Sadly, things like DPFs and exhausts & EGR valves aren't covered and classed as "wear and tear".
HDIDAVE407 likes this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in