Very strange interesting whistling noise... - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-03-17, 04:08 PM   #1

Default Very strange interesting whistling noise...

Hi there guys, I was wondering if any of you experts could help me on a niggling issue I have with my 407 2.0Hdi Zenith.

Recently in the last couple of weeks I've noticed a whistling noise, like someone whistling through their teeth. I know what your all thinking "TURBO ISSUES" BUT here's the funny thing. It doesn't happen when accelerating. I'll try to explain it as best I can.

I drive down the road in 2nd gear, I'm accelerating and no noise, I lift off because there's a speed bump coming up and that's when it whistles. It's always when I take my foot off the pedal to slow down or coast. It sounds like it's coming from the front of the car.

The car has done about 104k and I know very little about it's service history, but I have blanked the EGR valve and it's had a recent service with new oils and filters. It's also not long past it's MOT with no advisories. It also recently had both rear wheel bearings done.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. My first thought was that maybe it could be the clutch engaging properly under load and slipping when not? Possible? No idea.

Thanks

Rob.
minardifans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-03-17, 06:24 PM   #2

Any thoughts? I'm due to go to Manchester on Monday from Anglesey for a funeral and don't really want a breakdown. If any of you guys have any opinions before I take out breakdown cover or hire a car just in case.
Old 25-03-17, 07:43 PM   #3

Hi...I have breakdown cover ....just in case......I cant get my tool box in my car.....
noddy-hol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 26-03-17, 09:21 AM   #4
Inactive User

hi all

could it possible be the waterpump, it makes whislting, farm cricket kind of noise :-)?
reima is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-03-17, 03:17 PM   #5

If it starts when you lift off, could it be from a dump valve releasing the turbo pressure (I don't know whether your engine has one)?
IanML is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-03-17, 06:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanML View Post
If it starts when you lift off, could it be from a dump valve releasing the turbo pressure (I don't know whether your engine has one)?
Does it disappear when you use the throttle again?
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-03-17, 10:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillNZ View Post
Does it disappear when you use the throttle again?
Yes it does.
Old 12-04-17, 04:20 PM   #8

I have the same problem! Is this the water gate clip issue? I am.gojng to make a video, what i did notice was the boost went above 21 psi ( and it causes a fault) i read that this is a blocked waste system?

I recently had a dpf delete, a blocked dpf has almost killed the car. Any ideas applicated also
Br4duk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-17, 04:33 PM   #9

Sounds like maybe the wastegate. can you post a video or audio clip of the sound?
Old 12-04-17, 04:36 PM   #10

Will do! My typos sorry!

The mechanic said they spent 34 hours working it out and was getting it to a point where the car would need pulling apart more than they could rebuild in a day so we never got to the bottom of it . From what i have read a blocked dpf might have sent everything under pressure maybe
Br4duk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in