Various EGR related faults, I think - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-18, 11:58 AM   #1

Default Various EGR related faults, I think

Hi,

2010 1.6hdi SW

A few weeks ago I put nearly a full tank of petrol in the car and managed to drive an impressive distance!

Had it drained and restarted and all was well.

A few days later the check engine light came on, but by the time I got home and found my (cheap) scanner) it was gone. It had 6 codes stored:

P1162 Throttle body?
P1113 Intake air temperature (IAT) sensor circuit open/short or EDC16C3 - Diesel high pressure regulation circuit.
P0093 Large leak
P0087 Fuel pressure too low
P0409 On board diagnostics (OBD) trouble code P0409 is a generic trouble code relating to a problem incurred in the electrical circuit to the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve.
P1351 Glow plugs

Light was out so I drove on, as it looked like it was just related to the fuel drain etc. I've driven 1000 miles since with no problem until today when the light came on again.

Now I have 4 'new' codes:

P1162 P Throttle body?
P0489 P Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) A control circuit is reporting a low voltage flow due to faulty wiring or clogged EGR passages.
P0409 P On board diagnostics (OBD) trouble code P0409 is a generic trouble code relating to a problem incurred in the electrical circuit to the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve.
P1351 P Glow plugs

I haven't had any problems with the Glow Plugs, and it was there before, so I'm inclined to ignore.

The rest look like the EGR valve.

My question is... considering my car has just passed it's equivalent of the MOT (Irish) and the cert is valid for 2 years... and considering the car is driving just fine... can I just drive on with the EGR error for a couple of months?
El Kabong! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-18, 07:15 PM   #2

I'm surprised you haven't got an abs\esp fault too. I had a clogged egr last year which caused an abs\esp fault. Took me ages to track down because the previous owner had deleted a load of fault codes when he blanked the egr! (esp needs to know how much air is going to the engine, to calculate torque for an esp situation).

I reflashed the ecu and all the egr codes came flying in! I didn't get any of the fuel\leak codes though that might be a different issue (could just be dirt in the tank or something if it's intermittent) I just had throttle body.. glow plugs abs and egr, might depend on what position it's stuck in.. open\closed\half-open.

It's actually a fairly easy job to take off and clean out the egr (and blank it off while you're at it!)
Old 09-05-18, 08:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe50000 View Post
I'm surprised you haven't got an abs\esp fault too. I had a clogged egr last year which caused an abs\esp fault. Took me ages to track down because the previous owner had deleted a load of fault codes when he blanked the egr! (esp needs to know how much air is going to the engine, to calculate torque for an esp situation).

I reflashed the ecu and all the egr codes came flying in! I didn't get any of the fuel\leak codes though that might be a different issue (could just be dirt in the tank or something if it's intermittent) I just had throttle body.. glow plugs abs and egr, might depend on what position it's stuck in.. open\closed\half-open.

It's actually a fairly easy job to take off and clean out the egr (and blank it off while you're at it!)
Well, I all the fuel codes are related to having misfuelled and having the tank drained.
I did get an ABS/ESP warning light recently, but it happened the same day as I had the wheels balanced and it went away that evening so I ignored it.

Last night I sprayed some Wynns EGR cleaner in and the fault eventually disappeared... and it is running a little bit more smoothly so perhaps it is enough to tide me over.
El Kabong! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-18, 05:48 PM   #4

Ah right, that makes sense.
I was getting intermittent abs lights recently.. more and more frequent until eventually it just stayed on. It turned out to be a broken abs (speed sensor) wire. Just something to be aware of if it happens again.

I just cleaned a huge load of crap out of my intake manifold, due to the egr firing dirty air, and crap, back up into the engine, and it restricting the airflow by about 50% at some ports. I'd definitely recommend blanking it in the long run. I've got more power now, and I'm getting about 10mpg more.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in