Tyre sizes and implications - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise


Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cgarr04

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-02-13, 09:03 AM   #1
Inactive User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South London
Posts: 20
Default Tyre sizes and implications

407 V6 Petrol fitted with 215 55 17

If I was to fit lower profile tyre, what (if any) implications will this have on the speedo and counter.
And
Any suggestions which size would be not too thin and silly looking, but safe to replace with and if doing so with a lower profile tyre would make the arches look bigger and stupid as it would not be lowered. Advantages and disadvantages of doing this?!?!

Thanks in advance for your replies.
NDBBDB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 21-02-13, 10:35 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
B1ack__Mi16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Posts: 1,073
Default

You really shouldn't go lower profile unless you get larger rims.

That said I'm running on 225/45/17 winter tires, mainly because of the previous owner had put that dim on to save some money, and I just bought two new ones this season.

But it will make your speedo misread, also the milage will add on faster than it should...
__________________
5008
407 2.0HDi
405 T16/2.1TD
205 GTi 2.3/1.9
B1ack__Mi16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-02-13, 02:14 PM   #3
Inactive User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDBBDB View Post
407 V6 Petrol fitted with 215 55 17

If I was to fit lower profile tyre, what (if any) implications will this have on the speedo and counter.
And
Any suggestions which size would be not too thin and silly looking, but safe to replace with and if doing so with a lower profile tyre would make the arches look bigger and stupid as it would not be lowered. Advantages and disadvantages of doing this?!?!

Thanks in advance for your replies.

As said above you really shouldn't change your tyre profile unless you are changing size of alloys.

Also be aware that this will put additonal strain on gearbox/drivetrain and acceleration will also be reduced slightly although it wouldn't really be noticable unless your racing!

That said, if you changed down to 215/45 then speedo would be off by approx 6.5% therefore if you where travelling at 60mph speedo would read around 56mph. 215/50 would be about 3.2 precent off and speedo would read ~58mph @ 60mph.

I wouldn't go any lower than 215/50, if you wanted to go down to 215/45 then you should ideally be fitting those tyres onto 18" rims, speedo would be around 2.5% off.
NDBBDB likes this.

Last edited by cgarr04; 22-02-13 at 02:18 PM.
cgarr04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 25-02-13, 08:59 AM   #4
Inactive User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South London
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1ack__Mi16 View Post
You really shouldn't go lower profile unless you get larger rims.

That said I'm running on 225/45/17 winter tires, mainly because of the previous owner had put that dim on to save some money, and I just bought two new ones this season.

But it will make your speedo misread, also the milage will add on faster than it should...
Thanks for your fast reply. That pretty much confirms what I thought. Won't be changing anything then.

Last edited by NDBBDB; 25-02-13 at 09:02 AM.
NDBBDB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-02-13, 09:01 AM   #5
Inactive User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South London
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarr04 View Post
As said above you really shouldn't change your tyre profile unless you are changing size of alloys.

Also be aware that this will put additonal strain on gearbox/drivetrain and acceleration will also be reduced slightly although it wouldn't really be noticable unless your racing!

That said, if you changed down to 215/45 then speedo would be off by approx 6.5% therefore if you where travelling at 60mph speedo would read around 56mph. 215/50 would be about 3.2 precent off and speedo would read ~58mph @ 60mph.

I wouldn't go any lower than 215/50, if you wanted to go down to 215/45 then you should ideally be fitting those tyres onto 18" rims, speedo would be around 2.5% off.
!!WOW!!
Love answers like this, doesn't get any plainer English than that, thanks a lot mate, always good to see some actual statistics to help decide.
I won't be changing anything.
NDBBDB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-02-13, 09:08 AM   #6
Inactive User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDBBDB View Post
!!WOW!!
Love answers like this, doesn't get any plainer English than that, thanks a lot mate, always good to see some actual statistics to help decide.
I won't be changing anything.
You're welcome buddy - keep it as it is and simply enjoy the noise of the v6
cgarr04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:41 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.