Turbo and Heater flaps - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-10-13, 08:03 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Turbo and Heater flaps

Bought my 2005 407 Hdi Automatic 2 weeks ago, it was an ebay purchase and I knew it was down on power when test driving, but had travelled 175 miles so took a chance on it as the bodywork/interior are excellent and it had only made 1220. Have found this site very useful in tackling the problems with this car so far.

First I tackled the lack of power, got the usual fault codes P2562/P0299/P0406. I determined that there was vacuum at the turbo solenoid, 925mb in and 780mb out, there was no difference in power by disconnecting the vacuum supply to the turbo. I therefore came to the conclusion the turbo needed to come off.

I then removed the Subframe and Pre-cat, at which point I was able to see the control lever on the turbo was stuck, it did free off with a little help, but as I had gone this far I thought I might as well get the turbo off, split it open, clean up the moving parts and re-assemble. I used an old fridge compressor to provide a vacuum source for testing the actuator was moving before refitting the turbo, full travel of the actuator achieved at 530mb.

Eventually got it all back together and it now goes like I imagine it should. Only part replaced was a spring clip and total cost 0 although it did take about 20 hours over three and half days. Have added a couple of pics of the internals which were sticking.

The other problem is the dreaded heater flap on the drivers side, which I started to tackle today, after reading the marker pen repair, I thought I would make a square section tube and it was almost a success, but the flap was already partially broken further along and snapped during the repair. So tomorrow I plan to attempt to cut the side of the heater box out. Then looking at the pictures of the flaps, I think I will attempt to make an all steel flap to replace it, I can roll sheet steel to the correct radius at work.

After that it just needs new discs all round and LCD display sorting!
Attached Thumbnails
imag0331.jpg   imag0339-vac-off.jpg  
Richard111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-10-13, 09:15 PM   #2
Inactive User

Hi mate as you know ive got same problem does the flap have to be curved and not just point to point if you know what I mean?
bobbyg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-10-13, 09:30 PM   #3

wow richard
what a dramatic difference-what did you use to clean it all...
neil
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 19-10-13, 09:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg View Post
Hi mate as you know ive got same problem does the flap have to be curved and not just point to point if you know what I mean?
Open plan dash out view if it helps (taken part way through my own recent repair)

waynebrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-10-13, 09:56 PM   #5
Inactive User

Neil, I scraped the worst off and then used emery cloth and scotchbrite to get it really clean. Then put a spot of oil on the pivots on re-assembly, I know the oil will burn off in seconds, but just couldn't bring myself to reassemble it dry!

Bobby, Not totally sure, guessing it has to be curved to seal properly, but will know more when I get mine apart.

Wayne, Just wondered is it possible to get the flaps out without de-gassing the aircon if I opt to remove the dash? Still don't like the idea of cutting the heater box, but certainly don't want to start disturbing the aircon.
Old 19-10-13, 10:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard111 View Post

Wayne, Just wondered is it possible to get the flaps out without de-gassing the aircon if I opt to remove the dash? Still don't like the idea of cutting the heater box, but certainly don't want to start disturbing the aircon.
Hi Richard. There is some info on this below, I believe all will be clear once dash is removed and you have a good view of it all, there is a little cutting of plastic involved but not much apparently. Mine were repaired in situ (braced and bolted with a steel rod) along the length of the shaft and over the glued together section you can see on the right of the picture in my last post. Why not just do that rather than replace? Much stronger.

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...2/index17.html
Old 19-10-13, 10:19 PM   #7
Inactive User

Thanks Wayne, after looking at that link, Im thinking I might take the dash out rather than chopping the sides out of the heater box. Then I might make some nice new 'over engineered' steel flaps that will last the life of the car, certainly not paying around 75 for new plastic ones!
Old 19-10-13, 10:47 PM   #8

Good luck with it mate, plenty info on here but it looks like you are quite practically minded anyhow. It's one of the most common problems on the 407's, crap design fault. Be interested to know how you get on (pics)
Old 20-10-13, 07:44 PM   #9
Inactive User

Got the dash out, not looking forward to getting it back in!

Now the flaps are out, I can confirm they do need to be curved, also the seal is kind of integral to the plastic flap, so I think making complete new metal ones would present a problem with regard to fitting a seal.

I have therefore decided to make new steel two piece shafts, which can be joined once inserted into the heater box, and weld some 1mm thick plates to these which will then be bolted to the existing flap. Picture of the plates attached. Will be making the shafts tomorrow and take some more pictures as I attach them to the flaps.
Attached Thumbnails
imag0358.jpg   imag0357.jpg   imag0353.jpg  
Old 20-10-13, 10:47 PM   #10
Inactive User

nice work richard. im having power issues and have gotten almost to the point of blaming the turbo. ive read the procedure for removal in the haynes a few times, any tips since youve done it recently?
T1z3R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in