Strong engine judder/vibration - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-03-19, 06:08 PM   #1

Default Strong engine judder/vibration

Hi everyone,

Our car is a 407 3.0 V6 Coupe petrol from 2007. We have had it since January of this year (2019). We have the usual Tyre Pressure Monitor alarms ongoing and now a Rear Fog Lamp warning but none of those are a problem.

Since we bought the car, I could feel a slight hesitation on acceleration and a very subtle hiccup when just cruising, which got a little better (maybe) when the engine warmed up. My 'taking the car engine apart' days are from decades ago and then lived in London for 25 years where I didn't need a car, so didn't keep up with fault finding them. So I am used to cars where you can see the spark plugs to remove and clean them and engines that didn't have wires criss-crossing all over the place for all the sensors. I have a lot to catch up on.

From my past information I thought the problem may be removed with a simple spark plug clean and a check of the HT leads. The plugs are all clean and with a colour I would expect so I do not suspect the problem to be a miss fire (giving a carbonated plug or lots of deposits). The HT leads just look like ordinary wires (to my surprise) going to the plugs but they seem good as in I cannot find any breaks.

Now the engine's problem has got worse. It judders as if one or two pistons are not firing, a really rough tick-over. The judder/vibration is present when driving and gets worse when the engine is under load (e.g. going up hill).

So I started my reseach online (and came across this site) and thought it might be the EGR valve. I've looked all over the engine (what I can see of it anyway - the engine bay is a lot fuller than I am used to) but cannot find anything and looking online for an image gives nothing. Nor looking on EuroCarParts. So maybe this car doesn't have one - someone on this forum said it is only for cars with a turbo.

After some more looking at this forum I came across a post about the Mass Airflow Sensor and how that can mess things up giving similar symptoms.

I have now ordered an OBD scanner - OBDLink MX+ (I use Apple so needed one with iOS) for 109 and it should come tomorrow. Hopefully that will help point me in the right direction.

I am posting here now in case someone has any input but also to give feedback about my progress in case others have the same problem. Thanks if you do have any ideas.

I'll update once I have tried the scanner.
Matal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-03-19, 10:12 PM   #2

Doesn't matter what you pay, ALL OBD2 tools (unless from a very decent manufacturer such as Snap On etc) are the same and will only do the basics.

Ideally you want to pop onto Peugeot Planet.
BiGK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-03-19, 09:48 AM   #3

Oh, well that's good news. It's ordered now so I will go through the process, see what happens and report back here.
I've never heard of Peugeot Planet so I'll check that out - thanks for the feedback BiGK.

Old 26-03-19, 12:25 PM   #4

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...gnostic-28190/

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...70/#post529130
Old 28-03-19, 06:28 PM   #5

Thanks Gibbo, I've now read the two threads. I will have a good think about getting the Planet system but it will mean getting a Windows laptop so no time soon.

Tomorrow I'll see just what this OBDLink MX+ can do - or what it can't do!
I have three problems/areas I want it to help with so I'll give some feedback on each once it has been tried.

Thanks to everyone for the welcome to this forum.
Old 29-03-19, 03:13 PM   #6

Just a quick update here as I need to run.

I connected the scanner and it tells me there are two error codes:

CONFIRMED
P0356
Ignition Coil "F" Primary/Secondary Circuit

PENDING
P1342
Manufacturer Defined

I assume coil F is what I would call the coil for cylinder 6. I now need to find out which is cylinder 6 and then I'll do a continuity test to see if it is open-circuit (or short-circuit). I also need to find out what P1342 is.
Old 05-04-19, 08:00 AM   #7

Default Problem solved

I have now replaced the spark-plug coil for cylinder 6 and the car is now running fine again. So the OBD scanner I bought did the trick and I will use it again in future. My only complaint with it is that it was all so easy to use and so quick I felt a little cheated after spending 110 - you plug it in, turn the ignition on without starting the engine, hit the Diagnostics tab and it says spark plug coil six is duff. Took seconds to do.

The cylinder count I found was:
looking at the engine from the front, cylinders 1, 2, 3 are at the front of the engine with 1 on the right (flywheel end) and 3 on the left (belt end). Cylinders 4, 5, 6 are at the rear of the engine nearest the cab with 4 on the right (flywheel) and 6 on the left (belt).

There are two other jobs I am hoping it can help with:
1. change the RD4 CD/radio player to use the auxiliary input instead of the remote CD changer (in the boot and isn't working or even coming on for some reason),
2. remove the alarm associated with tyre pressure.

I will try and report back on those two at a later date.

I did have a bit of an episode with the engine's are intake manifold. To save me typing the whole thing out again, here is the email I sent to a friend (my apologies for the swearing).
The manifold has two special fixings between it and the front bulkhead and is a b**ch to get to:

Hi Andy,

This will make you laugh.

After I heard the fixing drop down the back I picked up the manifold with the other, second original fitting and noticed that its nut/washer had gone. How could that be?! I left it on with just about 1/2mm of bolt off full on so it had rotated itself 360 degrees anti-clockwise several times to have fallen off, probably while I was trying to get the manifold into that damn tight space. So now I have a complete fixing missing and a nut and washer from the second fixing missing.

To find the fixing, I then spent ages looking down between the engine rear and the bulkhead, then with a flashlight, then an iPod Touch taking photos so I could then look at them, then with the smallest mirror we have which was still too big to go down the slot. I then spent ages looking under the car, jacking a wheel up, turning the wheel, cutting tie-wraps so I could see above the plastic bits to see if I could see the fixing. Then ages looking through all my bits and pieces to see if I could cobble up my own variation of this fixing - a bolt of the right size with a thread its entire length and the right length but also with a spacer for packing and a suitable nut and two washers.

I then got back sat/lying on top of the engine and spent literally ages putting just one of the original fixings on ‘cos its all so tight and has pipes and hoses and wires all getting in the way but I managed to get the manifold back roughly into place with the one original fixing holding it and then reached up to pick up the second original fitting which from that position I could see resting on the seal just below the wipers.

The SECOND ORIGINAL FIXING.

It turns out what I heard fall was the nut and washer that had undone itself magically and then sent me on a quest

All I have lost is an 8mm nut and washer. The second fixing was there all along.

The car works.

God rest ye merry gentlemen I hope that never happens again.

Last edited by noddy-hol; 05-04-19 at 08:57 AM. Reason: swear words removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in