Steering judder.......brakes - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-10-10, 08:56 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Steering judder.......brakes

First of all Hello to all,i`m new to the site and this is my first post.
Just bought a 407 2.0 HDi sw and at the moment am really liking the car.
Just a couple of gripes though,firstly the steering has a medium vibration sometimes whilst turning at slow speed.
The other thing is i feel that the brakes are "soft".It has just had new discs and pads all round and although they are now biting i do feel that i am having to press the pedal a long way.
I noticed that the brake fluid reservoir has a slight wobble and dos`nt feel as secure as i would like but this may be normal?
Any comments would be appreciated.
THANKS ALL
pugsty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-10-10, 09:03 PM   #2
jmkent

By vibration, how much? and at slow speed, how slow?
Mine has a very, very slight vibration when really slow <5mph i.e. turning/parking - believe it something to do with the electric power steering pump perhaps, doesn't cause me any trouble so not worried about it.
My brakes are also reasonably soft. How long have you had the car? is it always been like this? The reason I ask is that mine are soft, softer than other cars, but work perfectly fine and have ahad brake fluid replaced on last service and exactly the same afterwards. I think its just variation between cars - I get in others and fly forwards when braking compared to the 407.
My brake fluid reseroir also has some play in it, but unless you really gave it some force, I can't see it ever moving/breaking though.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-10-10, 09:15 PM   #3
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkent
By vibration, how much? and at slow speed, how slow?
Mine has a very, very slight vibration when really slow <5mph i.e. turning/parking - believe it something to do with the electric power steering pump perhaps, doesn't cause me any trouble so not worried about it.
My brakes are also reasonably soft. How long have you had the car? is it always been like this? The reason I ask is that mine are soft, softer than other cars, but work perfectly fine and have ahad brake fluid replaced on last service and exactly the same afterwards. I think its just variation between cars - I get in others and fly forwards when braking compared to the 407.
My brake fluid reseroir also has some play in it, but unless you really gave it some force, I can't see it ever moving/breaking though.
The steering is like you say,5mph,its nothing major,its just that i hav`nt had a car with a vibration whilst turning!
Only had the car 2 weeks,i was driving a Skoda Vrs before the Pug,it may be that i am just used to "tight" brakes,had a couple of Impreza`s as well and they certainly feel tight and have little pedal travel.
Sounds like the fluid reservoir is normal,as you say its the variation in cars.
Thanks for the reply,it`s kinda put my mind at rest...
pugsty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 19-10-10, 12:52 PM   #4
chopper1192

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsty
Just a couple of gripes though,firstly the steering has a medium vibration sometimes whilst turning at slow speed.
It's not harmful. On earlier cars there was an issue with the PAS pipes being designed too 'high' so the upper reaches occasionally starved for a second at low speed, and you get a minor judder through the steering wheel. There are modified pipes that sit lower and cure the problem. I have also heard it said that overfilling the PAS reservoir cures it, though I can't vouch for the validity of that.

The brake fluid reservoir being 'loose' is normal. It won't fall off.

407 brakes aren't the best. I've had a 2.2 and a 2.7, and these have larger brakes than the rest of the 407s at 330mm, and they still weren't fantastic. They do the job, but always felt vague and took a serious prod to haul up quickly compared to my olde 308 or 3008.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in