Peugeot Forums banner

Starting in cold weather

4K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Haggis 
#1 ·
Hi all I've got a 407 2.0 hdi estate 58. I tried starting it the other morning but run the battery down, I put a new battery on turned it over eventually it started went to work tried starting it the day after but no joy it's been on the drive all day yesturday and still won't start any ideas. I had a new battery put on when I bought the car last July and it's been awful sluggish in starting

#4 ·
hi...check earth connections...correct fully charged battery?could be a sluggish starter motor(.common fault),,...unlikely to be heater plugs.

#5 ·
Not glow plugs its more likely the starter that is the real issue its a very common issue they get weak and turn engine too slow.

Most people go through fitting a battery sometimes even convincing themselves the alternator is faulty then they fit glowplugs THEN they get the starter done :)

I always go straight to the starter first and it does cure it most of the time

#7 ·
reliable406 is pretty... well reliable about these faults, he's like a walking encyclopedia on Pugs :D

Now coming to think about it... my engine doesn't start up as spiritedly as my old 306 with moon miles on it does.... hmmm might be looking at a starter myself soon enough I guess! :nono:

#10 ·
very true , but he first stated he run the battery down . could be many things and just checking the voltage at idle is not enough , i would be checking the amp load at charging and cranking . is the car doing lots of short trips ? , i know the starters are a weak point but it could be just a poor earth . just did not want the dude to throw cash at on a guess ( not doubting your knowledge dude )

#13 ·
I agree with you mate I am going to get a new starter but for the time being my priority was to get the car started for work etc the battery I took off was showing 12.64 v when I tested it yesterday so I've put it back on and been out in it today so far so good. I'll get back to you all when a new starter goes on it.

#15 ·
battery voltage of 12.45 v and above is good , very good . do you have access to an inductive amps clamp or some way of measuring the amps draw when starting the car ? , this will give a good picture of what sort of power your starter is drawing ( be nice to see what its drawing in cold weather )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.