Sound from engine/engine bay - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-13, 06:56 AM   #1

Default Sound from engine/engine bay

Hello.
I have some problems with my Peugeot 407 hdi fap 2007, 136hp.
Have strange noise from the engine bay, but its hard to locate it. I can hear it best when i just start the engine, and when the engine gets hot its a little less. I hear it when idling, and when i get it a little throttle, i think its disappear. First time i heard it, i think its come from right side of the car, behind left front wheel. I think its was the diesel-heater. So i turn off the car and only start the heater, then i dont hear it. I start the car and open the hood. Then it sounds like it came from behind the engine. Its hard to describe the sound(and little hard on english, im from Sweden), but if you think that you tap on the belly pan with a hammer. Its not like metal against metal. So i think that something come loose an lay against the belly pan, but i found nothing. And i think that the sounds come from a place little higher than the bellypan.
Some ideas?
Thanks in advance.
nilsson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-13, 07:23 AM   #2
Inactive User

Complete shot in the dark this, could it be a heat sheild?. If im correct in thinking, they place a layer of insulation between them and the body, and stand them off on plastic struts, which over time have a habbit of breaking, thus creating a vibrating sound, none metal to metal. :-)
philip clark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-13, 06:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip clark View Post
Complete shot in the dark this, could it be a heat sheild?. If im correct in thinking, they place a layer of insulation between them and the body, and stand them off on plastic struts, which over time have a habbit of breaking, thus creating a vibrating sound, none metal to metal. :-)
Thank, but i think i have the answer now.
Dual mass flywheel

Is it safe to drive some week with the noise? Have better time to change it next month. Or will it fall apart?
nilsson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-13, 09:56 AM   #4
Inactive User

Default Dmf

I have the same problem had a mechanic check the car and he noticed a lot of burnt orange dust covering the engine, coupled with the rattle he diagnosed DMF issue. He advised me NOT to drive the car until we get it sorted gonna cost @ 600+ cos apparantely the clutch should be changed at the same time.
yekim_4321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-13, 10:14 AM   #5

The orange dust ain't just particles of the foam under the engine cover?
205 GTi 2.3/1.9
B1ack__Mi16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-13, 11:24 AM   #6
Inactive User

If only normally i would be sceptical about what the mechanic says but i went to school with him and in the 10 years iv'e been using him for my cars he's never been wrong or let me down....so sadly i need to rob my piggy bank
Old 06-04-13, 11:29 AM   #7
davidireland

Sounds like its been giving up for a long time. The particles are rust. Best not drive it as the flywheel could come out through the gearbox if its that bad.

Also have a look at your driving style. Its a major factor in DMF failure.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-13, 11:57 AM   #8
Inactive User

The car belongs to my wife .... soooooo if you wanna tell her there may be a problem with her driving style then feel free the car has 105.000miles on it so i guess cant complain. It's also getting a full service and ABS sensors renewed, belts filters oil brakes(pads and discs) etc OH and it needs a new starter motor

Last edited by yekim_4321; 06-04-13 at 12:00 PM. Reason: missed out the end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in