So.. frozen gear wires, how to fix? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-01-16, 08:44 AM   #1

Default So.. frozen gear wires, how to fix?

I took a look at my sisters 407 as she experiences the gear linkage freezes when it's below zero.

At the end of the outer cable there is this black rubber piece that is supposed to prevent dirt / water ingress into the cables it seem, surrounding the inner/moving cable.

I couldn't easily at pull this part off to take a look behind it, but if I'm to fill the cables, either with some sort of oil, or anti-freeze, I need to know where to fill it in.

Here's a pic showing that black rubber end on the outer (white) cable.

Shall I use more force, using a tool and just pull it off? Any other places there's possible to fill it?
205 GTi 2.3/1.9
B1ack__Mi16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-01-16, 01:44 PM   #2

Hi, A tip used by truckers for preventing cables freezing in cold weather due to water ingress was to use "Plus Gas" fed into the cable, it is a very thin water like liquid which penetrates easily , lubricates and won't freeze. Don't know if it's available in Norway but see here
English Abrasives 809-10 Plusgas Tin 250ml: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike English Abrasives 809-10 Plusgas Tin 250ml: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
roybach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-01-16, 06:48 AM   #3

They look similar to the cables I bought for our 807, the inners were coated in grease but there is no way of getting any more in apart from coating the exposed ends unless you have a sophisticated pressure device that could seal the ends and force heated grease down the cable.
But where is the water in the photo coming from? The area above the gearbox should be pretty dry, is the scuttle sealed and draining OK, is the undertray present?
wynb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 27-01-16, 07:32 AM   #4

There's no water there in the pic, it's me trying to spray the cables with WD40 from a distance, hence spilling all over

I guess I need to destroy that black end-seal if I'm to get it off then, to be able to add more lubricant to it. Unless I magically manage to get it off in 1 piece. Not the easiest location to work at really, sitting on top of the engine more or less.
205 GTi 2.3/1.9
B1ack__Mi16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in