Should torque values in Diagbox be constant always? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-17, 03:52 PM   #1

Default Should torque values in Diagbox be constant always?

So I'm still trying to track down an ESP fault U1208 but almost everything in Diagbox seems to be working/reading fine. speed sensors, yaw etc. The only things that aren't reading correctly are the torque values. 'Actual torque' and 'torque required by driver'. Both are always stuck at a constant 408nm. I'm not sure if this is the way it's supposed to be or not since I have no other reference.

Previous owner has the egr blocked off too, and maybe turned off in the engine ecu (not sure) but some of the egr readings in diagbox always read with a negative value, usually zero -0%. A few read 1%

Is it possible that the torque is calculated using some egr values and the negative values are forcing it to a default value, and hence affecting the torque reading that the ESP system is looking for?

The egr has a 5v ref, good ground, 0v signal, and a slightly negative reading from the 12v power wire, at the egr and at the ecu. Strange that it's reading negative (-0.01v) from a 12v power, could the previous owner have messed up when editing the egr out of the engine ecu? would the ecu compensate for a negative value?
Tried unplugging the egr but it makes absolutely no difference.

I really need to get rid of the stupid ESP warning light for the NCT, and disabling the ESP in diagbox doesn't seem to make any difference! Light just pops on at engine start and never goes away.. The reason for failing the NCT was "Some warning light on the dash, traction control or something" lol..

Advertisement

Old 09-03-17, 05:08 PM   #2

What is the image supposed to show except something has flatlined ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-17, 05:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by storeman View Post
What is the image supposed to show except something has flatlined ?
Yea, basically. Just wondering if it's supposed to be constant, or if it's supposed to change with speed, airflow, revs etc?

Old 09-03-17, 05:24 PM   #4

Torque required by driver is derived from the accelerator pedal position and actual torque is what is current from motor [derived from rpm, timing, fuel supply to injectors etc etc]. They should constantly vary.
Not sure what effect removing the EGR from the ECU would have on the whole thing, but it should only really affect what is available, not what is required by the driver, as driver's input is theoretical, like a wish list...
Maybe whoever removed the EGR from the ECU programming somehow trashed this part of the programming?
Have a look at the connectors to the ECU. It was obviously removed to do the reprogramming so maybe pins/connectors were damaged at some point replacing it? Also check for corrosion of the pins/connectors.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-17, 06:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillNZ View Post
Torque required by driver is derived from the accelerator pedal position and actual torque is what is current from motor [derived from rpm, timing, fuel supply to injectors etc etc]. They should constantly vary.
Not sure what effect removing the EGR from the ECU would have on the whole thing, but it should only really affect what is available, not what is required by the driver, as driver's input is theoretical, like a wish list...
Maybe whoever removed the EGR from the ECU programming somehow trashed this part of the programming?
Have a look at the connectors to the ECU. It was obviously removed to do the reprogramming so maybe pins/connectors were damaged at some point replacing it? Also check for corrosion of the pins/connectors.
Nice one, that makes sense alright. Yea the accelerator percentage is fine so I assume that means 'torque required' should work fine. Also I'm thinking the egr value is probably added into an equation, and not really a multiplication so it probably shouldn't affect the whole thing, if that makes sense.

Is it possible to do an engine ecu reset? I saw an option in Diagbox but it said it's only used when installing a new ecu. Might be a dealer job to flash the software maybe?
Old 09-03-17, 06:41 PM   #6

I have seen that option but have not ventured down that path.

If you want to try it, you would need to do a total dump of your current ECU before doing it so you could restore your ECU to current state before you did the reset.

I have a BDM100 unit and have made a copy of all my ECU's just in case anything goes wrong.

Maybe you could get a standard ECU dump from someone and overwrite your ECU? But make a copy of yours first of course.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-17, 07:06 PM   #7

Engine torque is not really anything to do with ESP the U code is a network type fault

Have you checked the steering angle sensor calibration
Old 09-03-17, 07:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillNZ View Post
I have seen that option but have not ventured down that path.

If you want to try it, you would need to do a total dump of your current ECU before doing it so you could restore your ECU to current state before you did the reset.

I have a BDM100 unit and have made a copy of all my ECU's just in case anything goes wrong.

Maybe you could get a standard ECU dump from someone and overwrite your ECU? But make a copy of yours first of course.
Hmm.. might be the way to go alright. Just having a look there and the BDM100's seem to be fairly reasonably priced. And it'd be a new toy for me to play with too.. :-) It's a balls buying a car with faults since you never know what the previous owner has been messing with!
Old 09-03-17, 09:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
Engine torque is not really anything to do with ESP the U code is a network type fault

Have you checked the steering angle sensor calibration
Steering calibration is good. It was out by ~60 and Diagbox wouldn't calibrate it properly, some type of bug in the software I'm thinking, but I managed to get it done with PP2000.

I think I read somewhere that the ESP uses the torque value alright, to know if you're accelerating, and when to cut power to certain wheels etc..

Yea, the code is "no communication with engine ecu" but the CAN network is fine. The reason that the code gives is 'data invalid', which is what led me to the reasoning above. All the other variables seem perfect, ABS is fine, cruise control is fine, yaw, transverse acceleration too etc..
As far as I know torque is the only variable that the esp ecu is looking for from the engine ecu, and the only thing that's not working right...
Old 10-03-17, 07:48 AM   #10

A lot of the signals shared between systems go through the underbonnet fusebox check all the connectors are good

Data invalid could mean anything from too high to to low to nothing at all and all it takes is a high resistance contact somewhere to upset a signal
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in