Shake, rattle and roll!! - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-11, 06:35 PM   #1
jmkent

Default Shake, rattle and roll!!

Well, my 407 doesn't appear to be running all as it should at the minute...

There has been a rumble/vibration noise for a few months, typically around 1800-2000rpm when in 4th-6th gear and primarily when going up hill... thought this could be something to do with the turbo working/kicking-in so didn't think too much to it. However, it seems to do it a bit more now, and seems to be louder than before, which indicates to me that something is changing, and not normally for the better couple this together with the symptoms below, and it seems something is astray...
  • vibration/rumble ca. 1800-2000rpm
  • similar noise around 1100-1300rpm when moving off/slow speed in 1st & 2nd
  • can feel vibrations through the steering wheel, more prudent when approx 40-60mph but less so at motorway speed
  • engine very lumpy when starting in the morning - you can feel the car shaking and only goes away after 2 or 3 mins driving (could just be a cold engine, but it hadn't used to do it, and its not cold at the minute compared to the last winter)
  • steering feels 'loose' and knocks when turning sharp and going over a bump - possible ball joints? but these were both replaced only 10k miles ago
First thoughts to me would be.... turbo, clutch/DMF (shouldn't be as clutch & DMF were both only replaced 7k miles ago), driveshafts perhaps?? Thoughts anyone??

Its niggling and annoying me now, and as with most things on cars, they don't improve with time so I'll book it in to be looked at, but thought I'd seek your thoughts before I get theirs

Doesn't seem a good time for mine at the minute though... this problem, then I noticed a leak around the additive tank (which definitely wasn't diesel/water as there was no smell to it but it left a patch on the drive), then I had an ABS fault (likely to be a sensor, but this has disappeared for now)...... the list just adds up

p.s. car is a 2005 2.0HDI with 84k on the clock
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-11, 11:24 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Check your engine mounts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have owned: '00 Speedfight2 50cc '96 106 1.5d Escapade '97 306 1.9d D-turbo '99 306 1.9d D-turbo '03 307 2.0hdi 110 Rapier '06 307 2.0hdi 136 XSI '04 Peugeot 206 2.0hdi XSI
stevoxsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-11, 04:08 AM   #3
Inactive User

and egr because probably is blocked on open position

Old 12-05-11, 07:10 AM   #4
jmkent

Thanks for suggestions....

How would I check engine mounts?? Is it something I can visually see, bearing in mind I'm no mechanic.

Shouldn't be EGR... its had a new one earlier this year, and prior to that it I'd cleaned the old one a couple of times and it never seemed to coke up too bad.
Old 12-05-11, 07:17 AM   #5

You would think vibration would be tyres , no bulges ?
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-11, 04:34 PM   #6
Inactive User

i must clean my egr every 6 months because i just used car in town thats is problem
Old 12-05-11, 06:53 PM   #7
jmkent

No bulges, that I can see.... both front tyres are still fairly new with plenty of tread on them..... have to agree, first thought for the vibration was wheel balancing, but it seems the vibration is a bit more random, so not quite convinced its as easy as that

I don't do too much driving in mine, maybe EGR is sticking... its a possibility, but I don't think that would have anything to do with the rumble/vibration noise though
Old 13-05-11, 06:40 PM   #8
jmkent

I'll tell you something though, I've got an 11 plate 2.0TDCI Mondeo for 8 days whilst away on business, and compared to the 407, its a really good driving car.... feels a lot lighter on its feet, very smooth & quiet, and returns similar mpg than the 407 - 47mpg for 300miles of motorway driving yesterday. My 407 used to be like this.... lets hope once its looked at it will be back to this, or I'll always think of "better"
Old 24-05-11, 05:41 PM   #9
jmkent

Well been in Pug for a day, and no faults found, apparently everything appears to be normal... apart from dodgey heater plug/s, which I've booked to be done next month as they've been dodgey for months already. All I've had done is a replacement ABS sensor... at least thats one fault that should stay away... for now
Old 26-09-11, 06:18 PM   #10
jmkent

Car still isn't running right..... still got the vibration when driving at 40-60mph ish
If I put my foot down i.e. speed & revs, it clears up. Driving at the same speed in different gears has similar effect, but as the gears are quite close, its hard to tell properly.
Wandering if DPF is starting to block - seems to be a constant vibration at 1800-2000 rpm which is the 40-60mph speed. Took it for a run on the dual carriageway today and used 5th rather than 6th at 70-80 and the car seemed to run fairly smooth, but this was at 2500rpm.... it normally runs smooth when at motorway speed, but just not at normal driving speed, even on roads that other cars don't feel a bump on.
Could the DPF be choking causing a back pressure / vibration on the engine and thus through the car.... or more likely something mechanical with wheels/steering etc - wheels have all been balanced and no made any difference.
Or is the 407 just a harder ride than most?
Mileage is just over 87k if that makes any difference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in