Sat Nav Question - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-17, 03:57 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Sat Nav Question

Hi guys,

I have a 407 with the RT3 or RT4 sat nav system. The dial wheel in the center is not working correctly, it keeps sticking when press, and you have to forcefully pull it out again each time it is used. Does anyone know if it is possible to replace this dial/button? Or another fix?

My other question was does anyone know where to get ISO's of the latest SatNav maps? I presume mine has not been updated since 2007.

Thanks for your help guys
seanpcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-17, 09:06 PM   #2

RT4 Upgrade Maps: https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...t4-5-a-246306/

RT3 Maps: https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...-8/rt3-249658/

Sticky Button: No idea!
BiGK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-17, 09:36 PM   #3
Inactive User

Thank you so much for the maps. I however forgot to ask about the firmware, since I got the car, the RT4 just starts and freezes in the Peugeot logo, it only works if left to warm up for a significant amount of time. I hope a firmware update might fix this issue?

Would you have a link to the firmware also?

Pity about the dial button, I don't think any other buttons can work as a substitute "enter" button...

Old 11-02-17, 09:49 PM   #4
Inactive User

I just seen firmware update 8.31 is included in that link. Thanks...

I will do the firmware update before the map update if I can get past the start screen.
Old 13-02-17, 09:59 AM   #5

Sadly, it isn't the firmware. What you are experiencing is the hard drive inside the RT4 dying. (If it's an RT4 you have).

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...upgrade-60050/

Only way to fix I believe (owned my 407 for a couple of months but I read up on common faults etc).

You might already be on version 8.31. To find the software version, press and hold the 'MENU' button. Select diagnostics from the menu that pops up, and it will cycle through various numbers. An RT3 will have a number 5.xx to 6.xx. RT4 and RT5 have 7.xx to 8.xx. 8.31 is the latest.

If it isn't, upgrading the firmware is a step in the tutorial above anyway, so you may as well do it, incase it was the firmware! When burning any discs, it is imperative that you burn at the slowest speed possible. I have no idea why but it doesn't work as well if you don't.
Old 13-02-17, 10:35 AM   #6
Inactive User

Thanks for your reply. I updated the firmware to 8.31 yesterday and also the latest maps. I had to leave the car running for 10 minutes before it would get past the Peugeot logo, but after that the firmware and map update worked. the unit then worked fine on startup for the rest of the day. I come out this morning and it continued to be stuck on the Peugeot logo again!! So I agree it must be the HDD. I would rather fix this issue myself because if I give the car back for the dealer to fix, I believe he wont know what is wrong and is hardly going to spend hundreds and hundreds on a new RT4.

So am I right in thinking that a normal PATA 2.5" HDD will not do as a replacement as it has to be a "automotive class" HDD? (To withsand vibrations) I don't even know where to get them.

I will have to get radio removal keys to take the unit out of the dash? It's a pity cause the car is great and everything works apart from the RT4. When it does work it's great!! apart from the sticky dial button.

All I have to do is replace the hard drive and the unit should ask for a firmware disc, which I have from yesterday?
Old 13-02-17, 11:23 AM   #7

The problem is, IDE hard drives aren't manufactured in mass units anymore, the standard is now SATA. To further compound the issue, automotive hard drives are not manufactured either as SSD's can withstand greater temperatures, higher shock etc.
So finding an industrial / automotive grade hard drive is difficult and will be VERY expensive.

Your best bet is the CF Adapater with a CF card. (Even these aren't being produced or sold in bulk anymore as SD cards have superseded CF cards lol)
With a CF card, there's no moving parts so vibrations will not have an effect, or temperature.

It's a bit more complicated than that, I haven't done the upgrade myself so can't inform you any further than what the thread link in the previous post states. However through my IT knowledge, you should be able to image copy the entire hard drive to the CF card bit for bit using Linux, that way, it should be a simple process.
The upgrade disc only installs the software, the configuration is done through Peugeot Planet or copy the files from the hard drive to the CF card. Doing a bit for bit copy will possibly work and be quicker / easier.
Old 13-02-17, 11:32 AM   #8
Inactive User

Thank you for your informative reply. OK, I will go down the CF route and get a 32gb card and proceed that way. hopefully I can get a copy before the HDD dies.

I just need to get the "removal keys" then to get the unit out of the dash? Any idea what they are called?

On a side note, is it usual to take absolutely ages to copy a CD to the juke box? I have only done 2 CD's but they took around 40 minutes. Surely this cannot be correct?

I have yet to try and see if I can copy a data CD with MP3 albums across. Pity It can't read FLAC, however with 30gb, that would be eaten up right and quickly lol...
Old 13-02-17, 01:27 PM   #9

According to the Peugeot tech docs, it's two "bolts" and advises to "Slacken the bolts (1) (Without removing)." Other sites use prongs to shove in. I do have an Ipod dock to install but the winter weather has stopped my from removing mine!

40 mins is about right, the system actually copies and then converts into MP3. Best way is to pop MP3's (upto 320kb/sec) onto a CD as a data CD. You get to transfer a lot more music and does it a lot quicker (about 10-15 mins I think?)

FLAC...you really expect a lot don't ya? lol
Old 13-02-17, 01:59 PM   #10
Inactive User

Rightio, on my shopping list this evening then is the following. This is all I need and correct to proceed? And also a USB bootable copy of ubuntu, or can this been done in Windows? Perhaps a clone from the old HDD?

32GB Brand New Kingston Ultimate Compact Flash CF Memory Card 266x CF/32GB 740617163223 | eBay

and

3 in 1 USB 2.0 to IDE SATA 2.5/3.5'' Hard Drive HD HDD Adapter Converter Cable | eBay

and

NEW USB 2.0 CF Card Reader Compact Flash Card Reader UK | eBay

and

Compact Flash CF to 44 Pin 2.5" IDE(Male) Adaptor Converter Card | eBay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in