Rising Sump Oil Level - 2.0 HDI 2005 SW - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-09-13, 03:06 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Rising Sump Oil Level - 2.0 HDI 2005 SW

I have recently bought this with 106k miles, it seems that the oil level has risen by about 3 litres in 3000 miles, and seems to be definitely diesel in the oil. Am getting about 40mpg with careful motorway driving on 92 mile round trips which seems a bit lower than expected, engine seems to run all right.

Any ideas as only seen one post of a 407 with this problem (but with no answers as that many parts were changed), but some mention of issues with 1.6 307 HDIs which may be a result of faulty fuel cap sensors.
https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...04/index8.html

Any ideas as would like to keep the car as really comfy, but don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I have access to PPlanet for any diagnosis.

Last edited by crazycarl; 17-09-13 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Updated link
crazycarl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-09-13, 03:28 PM   #2
Inactive User

Fuel pump

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
407 mad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-09-13, 04:39 PM   #3
Inactive User

The fuel pump wasn't one of the parts that were changed on the link in the example above, what makes you think fuel pump ? I have PM'd B1ack M16 to see what he thinks what part of the many he replaced was the reason and whether it finally solved it...

Old 17-09-13, 05:30 PM   #4

I'm pretty sure this is a dangerous thing. I'm sure this can cause run on, which can cause deadness. Of car and potentially a person.
Old 17-09-13, 05:38 PM   #5
Inactive User

the seal could be gone on the HP pump bolted to the head.
407 mad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-09-13, 08:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlineiain View Post
I'm pretty sure this is a dangerous thing. I'm sure this can cause run on, which can cause deadness. Of car and potentially a person.
Not only that but the oil is no longer an efficient lubricant / coolant so if run on doesn't occur, the engine will either seize or chew itself into little pieces.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-09-13, 09:50 PM   #7
Inactive User

No worries on the seriousness of high amount of diesel in oil, have changed the oil and put fresh in as an interim measure that should be good for a few miles at least.

Ran PP2000 and got the following faults:
P1351 - which I think is glow plugs fault
P0098 - which I think is faulty intake air temp sensor

I think both of these can result in the DPF getting choked and failed regens ?!?. My question therefore is does a choked DPF then provide sufficient back pressure to force diesel into sump ??

Out of the blue today, the EML has come on with a "depollution system faulty" message.

Also have a P1598 fault - think is themostat sensor, which don't think is related to the main symptoms
Old 17-09-13, 10:44 PM   #8

Thermostat sensor can not be bought anymore either, so that fault you are not going to be able to remove.

As I said on the PM, either the glow plug relay is shot, or more than 1 glow plug is shot.
I know mine would regenerate with 1 shot glow plug, but with 2 shot plugs I'm not sure what would happen, could possibly not work then due to the plugs not beeing hot enough. Surely also the cylinder with 1 shot plug would fill the sump with diesel and give worse mpg, but if your MPG is drasticly down, and the sump fills quite fast I would think at least 2 failed plugs or failed relay so that none of the cylinders will burn off the diesel injected for regenerating.

So check all glow plugs and if they're all old just change all of them (a bit fiddly but not too hard once you get the EGR cooler out of the way).

If plugs are showing good values when you Ohm them, then it's possibly the relay that has failed.

The P0098 is the small sensor on the inlet butterfly housing, costs about 20 if I remember correctly.
205 GTi 2.3/1.9
B1ack__Mi16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-09-13, 11:15 PM   #9
Inactive User

B1ack_Mi6 defo knows his stuff, and from his experiences and chafed knuckles no doubt. Will report back on results when have checked the glowplugs/relay out/replaced them....
Old 17-09-13, 11:42 PM   #10

I've heard this can happen because of the particle filter regeneration,
More fuel is injected during regeneration but if it isn't being burnt then it can make its way past seals and into sump.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in