RIP 407 1.6HDi - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-12-11, 04:02 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default RIP 407 1.6HDi

With 116,000 miles on the clock the turbo failed and when the garage were searching for the cause (removed sump and were feeling around) they found excess movement in the driveshaft within and are sure at least one of the bearings has collapsed. So as I just spent 1000 in July getting it through the MOT I decided to scrap it as we were getting close to another 2000.

Pity as it was great to drive and reasonably econonomical averaging 50mpg but repair costs were regular and a bit excessive

I've listed my faults and costs underneath over the 6 and a bit years I had it

o - Radiator fan/relay failed - regeneration problems 446
o - Lower ball joints failing at 49K+ miles 331
o - Lower ball joints failing at 75K+ miles 165 (peugeot paid 50%)
o - Lower ball joints failing at 110K+ miles 300
o - Glow plugs, preheating relay - regeneration problems 150
o - 3 x abs sensors failed 3 x 85
o - 1 wheel bearing replaced 95
o - Elau fluid top up - although it didn't really need it. 110
o - Bad earth on rear lights causing brake light problems/dash warning
o - Display in centre console fading when warm but his only stated in the past year.
o - tyre sensor failed - never replaced it

Summing up - Regulary serviced give or take a couple of thousand miles, same exhaust system from new and the bodywork was still in excellent condition. Never quite got to changing that timing belt either so I'll see that as a positive.

On a more serious note can anyone recommend a car, I've looked at the 308 1.6HDi and a VW Passat 2.0 HDi both around a year old (Older Passats get slaughtered though) My budget is 9000 - 11000. Thanks....
jadamcp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-12-11, 04:37 PM   #2
jmkent

I've driven 2 of the Passat 2.0 BlueMotion TDi (11 plate), and it is a very economical engine... average 57/58mpg on a motorway and mid 40s for general use (not bad for the size of car and power output). It is a comfortable car to drive too, and not too badly spec'd (obviously depending on model/budget). Only downside to it for me, not as quiet as the Peugeot, and doesn't have much grunt when down in low revs (<2k) compared to the Peugeot.... my 407 will pull like a train from whatever revs, but the Passat needs the revs building first

Your 407 hasn't done too bad in 6 yrs then really.... there isn't anything on your list that is out of the ordinary for them. Its a shame that it is quoted as being 2k to repair, but I suspect majority of that is the turbo?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-12-11, 05:30 PM   #3
Inactive User

Why replace a car thats given you nothing but problems with basically the same car and engine in the 308? And what do people see in Passats? To me they are the epitomy of average with boring looks and questionable reliability. How about an Alfa 159 1.9 mjtd?
sebasteeno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 28-12-11, 05:39 PM   #4
jmkent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebasteeno View Post
And what do people see in Passats? To me they are the epitomy of average with boring looks
I've been driving the CC with GT spec..... bit better looking than a normal Passat granted, and very well spec'd too. Don't think I would say no if given one

Quote:
How about an Alfa 159 1.9 mjtd?
Aren't Alfas supposed to be even more unreliable though than even Peugeots? And depreciate quicker than any other car?

Last edited by jmkent; 28-12-11 at 05:41 PM.
Old 28-12-11, 05:51 PM   #5
chopper1192

Older Passats suffer painfully with DMF failure, and it's about half as much again as a 407 to fix if you use genuine kit. This hewn from granite build quality rubbish about VW's is tripe. To be fair to all though, if you don't want big, complex bills, then any big complex car has the potential to make you an unhappy man.

308 could be good - I loved mine, and at the top end of your budget you may get one under 2 years old with a reasonable mileage if you're really persistent.

However, the cars you cite aren't really natural competitors and have rather different intended uses and markets. I'd sit down and list the type of car you want, the attributes it must have, draw up a shortlist of 3, and stick to it. The moment you become diverted by something not on your list, but too tempting to pass up, is the moment it WILL start to go wrong.

Last edited by chopper1192; 28-12-11 at 05:52 PM. Reason: politically led trenching tiara
Old 28-12-11, 05:53 PM   #6
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkent View Post
I've been driving the CC with GT spec..... bit better looking than a normal Passat granted, and very well spec'd too. Don't think I would say no if given one

Aren't Alfas supposed to be even more unreliable though than even Peugeots? And depreciate quicker than any other car?
The CCs are better ill admit but still not for me and expensive too are they not.

The 159 is a great car using the Fiat JTD engine which is proven to be reliable, quick and good mpg. the 159 is the best looking large family car on the road imo.
sebasteeno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-12-11, 06:43 PM   #7
Inactive User

personally with that budget id get myself a focus or mondeo which is only a year or so old. you could easily get a titanium with that budget and get all the toys

john_h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-12-11, 06:46 PM   #8
chopper1192

[QUOTE=sebasteeno;77779
The 159 is a great car using the Fiat JTD engine which is proven to be reliable, quick and good mpg...[/QUOTE]...as well as the most noisy and unrefined large bore 4 pot diseael you can get.

And the 159 goes round corners like a drunken fat slag with a heel missing off one stiletto.
john_h, Gibbo and 407 mad like this.
Old 28-12-11, 07:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_h View Post
personally with that budget id get myself a focus or mondeo which is only a year or so old. you could easily get a titanium with that budget and get all the toys
Anything happen to your Ford recently John?

bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-12-11, 07:42 PM   #10
jmkent

Quote:
The CCs are better ill admit but still not for me and expensive too are they not.
Yes, they are.... ones I've had are rrp 26.5k.... i.e. a lot, but on the other hand, how much would a 508 with the same spec have cost? Doubt it would be much less at all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in