regen magnets... - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-03-17, 11:15 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default regen magnets...

Quick question, would my HDi stop trying to regen. if I took the magnets out of the filler cap? (car may think I never fill up, hence no need to dose with Eolys).
Worth a try, or not?

I'm sticking a tenners worth in every other day, the designers never thought about people on a budget ...
407Hal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-03-17, 07:20 AM   #2

Why would you want to stop it from regenerating the DPF?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jimmymarsbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-03-17, 11:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407Hal View Post
Quick question, would my HDi stop trying to regen. if I took the magnets out of the filler cap? (car may think I never fill up, hence no need to dose with Eolys).
Worth a try, or not?

I'm sticking a tenners worth in every other day, the designers never thought about people on a budget ...
Your DPF will soon clog up with no regens resulting in big bills! Anyway, removing the magnets won't stop it trying to regen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1.6THP GTLine EAT6 Leather+Grip+ACC+O&G+Smart Boot

Last edited by mooi1uk; 21-03-17 at 12:53 PM.
mooi1uk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 21-03-17, 06:17 PM   #4
rwb

Send a message via Skype™ to rwb

The cheapest way to run a car with a dpf is to run it empty then fill it full.

Additive and filters (and labour) are much more expensive than diesel.

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/1306802-post2.html
rwb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-03-17, 08:52 PM   #5

Quote:
To stick a tenner in every other day means you must already have the money to do this so why not just put it all in at once ?

The system injects a dose of fluid into the tank every time you top up or fill up. By just sticking in a tenners worth you add the same amount of fluid to that small amount of diesel as would be added to a full tank. This wastes the fluid and will empty the fluid tank a whole lot quicker, not to mention having way too mucch fluid mixed in with the fuel.

Also by having a nearly empty tank most of the time makes it more likely you'll get water in the fuel tank which in itself can cause it's own issues. I used to use a tank of diesel a week and I didn't earn enough to buy that much fuel, the wife ended up paying for the fuel I needed for the week before payday. Even so, I never entertained only putting in a few quids worth more often, a- because it would have meant three visits to the petrol station every week instead of one and the extra fuel used getting to and from the petrol station plus the fuel wasted waiting for a free pump and b- I still needed to keep the money for a later date to add more fuel so I would have gained nothing and possibly spent more doing it that way.

As previously mentioned, fill the tank, run till empty then fill again. It won't cost you any more than it's already costing you but I admit it's a lot easier to hand over a tenner for fuel than £60 or £70.

storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-03-17, 09:05 PM   #6

In addition to the convenience argument, by not allowing the car to regenerate the DPF when it needs to, you'll potentially end up splashing out a lot more on repairs when the filter clogs up and cause back pressure into the turbo etc.

I don't know if this is due to the tank shape or anything else, but in my 307 I noticed the fuel lasted longer from full to half than from half to the red line. Economy seemed better too, somehow. With that in mind, I trained myself to keep the car topped up to full when it went below half.

Old 21-03-17, 09:39 PM   #7
Inactive User

Default Forgot to mention....

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful. One thing I forgot to mention is that I have removed the DPF and drilled holes through the substrate.
The car still tries to regen. with the cooling fan running on for 5 minutes after even short journeys and I'm after stopping it!

My ultimate aim is to keep the car going (at least until it fails an MOT) on a shoestring budget but without blowing the turbo again...

I'm not afraid of hard work but this engine was designed by monkeys!
407Hal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-03-17, 07:27 AM   #8

IMHO the hdi is an excellent engine (the 1.6 DV6TED4 can be a bit too sensitive, unless it's nursed properly).

It's everything else (especially electrics/sensors) that is often the cause of the headache.

Old 22-03-17, 08:09 AM   #9

If you have physically removed the DPF then you need to get the ECU remapped and also program out anything to do with the DPF using PP2000 / Diagbox. You need to tell the system there is no additive ecu plus any other related items. Once that has been done it will no longer attempt to regenerate.

You would likely be better off getting everything programmed out with the diagnostics and remove any error codes as I believe the ecu cannot be remapped to remove the dpf if there are any stored error codes.

Jimmymarsbar, I also found the range from full to half was much better than from half to empty. I also found the fuel consumption was a fair bit better the more fuel that was in the tank which was contrary to the argument of using more fuel to move the car due to the extra weight of the fuel.

storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-03-17, 08:35 AM   #10

Quote:
My ultimate aim is to keep the car going (at least until it fails an MOT) on a shoestring budget but without blowing the turbo again...
That sets alarm bells ringing for me. Turbo failure can be a result of neglect of the DPF system.
neecola likes this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in